“Average food with high price!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Straits is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,029 of 7,278 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Come dine with us at Straits at our new location in Houston!
The Woodlands, Texas
“Average food with high price!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The only thing good about our visit was the server and the strait fries. My husband ordered Coconut fried rice. While the rice were good they needed something with a sauce to go with them. I feel like their menu was designed so you have to order compliments with it for more money. Like curries don't come with rice, you have to order the rice,which usually is included in the dish at other places. Their menu is limited while my taste pallet is wide I could not find something that I really liked or wanted to eat. We ended up sharing the rice. The portion was decent. I think eat somewhere else and go for drinks here.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Paris
“Great Food Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My mother and I loved the food - the service was impeccable. We ate at the bar, and the servers were all young and dressed very eclectically - a show in itself. We didn't know about the soup so the waiter offered us a cup to taste. Everything delicious, and the manager passed by to make sure we were happy. It is really noisy during the busy hours because of all the hard surfaces - this is the only setback, but I still recommend. Try it!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
houston
“So good to have Singapore Style Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Ate here with my husband at 3:30 pm on a Sunday afternoon. Waiter said we just missed a very busy brunch. We asked to be seated outside under a canopy and greatly enjoyed the people watching (restaurant is located in a courtyard area surrounded by stores and other restaurants which is very pleasant). Waiter was very helpful and happy to hear we had visited Singapore on numerous visits and were looking forward to a taste of that great city/country.

We ordered Mee Goreng (excellent and spicy just as we like it), Spicy Basil Chicken along with starters of chicken/beef satay sticks and fresh spring roll. I can't recommend this place enought if you want authentic Singapore style food and great service. I think we will visit same time/same day once a month just to take advantage of the quality food and excellent surroundings.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Enjoyable food experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This restaurant is within the new "City Center" - Beltway 8/Sam Houston Parkway where there are a lot of restaurants to choose from. A Movie Grill, a Green Common area to listen to music or play with your children and many shops. Straits Restaurant has 2 great outdoor seating areas. We chose to sit outside as there was a lovely, gentle, cool breeze blowing (August weather) with a musician on a guitar in the Green Common area. Perfect after a long week.
Inside this restaurant is a large bar area/lounge and also a separate indoor seating area. So plenty of seating for everyone.

My husband and I started with the 'Taster Sampler' - there were 4 different tasters each. Absolutely wonderful. We also had complimentary Roti bread as this was out first visit.
We ordered Fried rice and Tikka Butter chicken to share. This was very tasty and plenty to eat and enjoy.

The dessert menu looked delicious - we will return to taste these.

Service was a little slow at first but the Manager came and apologised. Friendly staff, great surroundings and wonderful food. We will certainly return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Bad food and bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We went on a girls night and had the restaurant week menu. The server was extremely aloof and not attentive. Finally, another waiter came to clean spills, etc. off the table after appetizers. Drinks were never refilled unless we asked and my friends entree was horrible. What a horrible flavor. It was the beef dish on the special menu. The appetizers were good, but the entrees were not appetizing at all. I would not recommend this place.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere