“Eruption of taste” 5 of 5 stars

+1 281-257-9500
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peli Peli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 7,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, International, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Louetta
Description: Peli Peli, Houston's only South African restaurant, features steak, chicken & seafood cuisine with a "twist" by Chef Paul Friedman - 2013 Wine & Food Week Chef Of Chefs Award Winner & The September 2013 Cadillac Culinary Master. OpenTable Top 100 American Restaurants in the US Award Winner Best Atmosphere & Service - Houston Press Readers' Choice Winner (2009, 2012) 2010 Click2Houston winner - Best Romantic Restaurant
“Eruption of taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This place was fantastic. You can tell there is quality behind all the food that is served. The steak was so tender and flavorful, along with the prawn. There was time taken with the entrees and not thrown together. Wonderful place for a date day with the wife.

san jose, United States
“Food with FLAVA, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The fish was amazing and our food server Stacey was so friendly and personable. She had great suggestions and gave us great insight on things to do while we were in town.

Visited March 2014
Cypress, TX
“Excellant dinner and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Celebrate our anniversary here on a week night. The dining area is not large so I suggest reservations to ensure a table. We were promptly greeted upon entering and showed to our table with no wait.

The waiter was friendly and professional, he knew the restaurant and the menu. The and the other staff continued to provide great service the entire night but managed to not be bothersome.

We shared the bacon wrapped chicken app. and it was very good.

The steaks, fillets, were very good. My med steak was perfect but my wife's med rare was a bit undercooked. It did not prevent her from eating and enjoying it.

The sides were also very good.

We had a South African wine with dinner, in keeping with the theme. It was good but not great.

The deserts were out of this world! They most definitely rank up with there some of the best I have ever had.

We both loved the meal and enjoyed the serve. Having said that, this was an expensive meal so it will be another special occasion before we return. I also do not recommend this place for children, I would not take ours.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“All around Greatness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Some native Houstonians took me to this South African restaurant.

It was gorgeously in decor and there was a live band playing ambiance music.

We all ordered something different. I ordered a dish they later told me was new to the menu, quinoa pasta. It was a little too hot for my tastes but they graciously took it back and brought me a bowl of their yummy ginger carrot soup. I also had some of the other people in my party's food. The carrot bredie, spinach, and couscous sides were fantastic. I am not a cole slaw fan but they have a unique mango cole slaw that the others raved about.

It is certainly not your average restaurant but it is splendid so I would take the time when you are in the Houston area to give it a try.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“One of my Favs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Fantastic food! South African flavors. The chicken curry and sea bass are our favorites. I am a HUGE fish eater and have never had my fish overcooked here; it's always done to perfection. We've taken guests here numerous times and have always been thrilled with the food and service. The restaurant is a little pricey but we've always felt that it is justified. I recommend Sunday brunch. The biggest downfall is that the acoustics are horrible. The decor is nice but it can get very loud at times. No children's menu but my children love the bread on the appetizer list, the lamb, and the chicken curry.

• Visited February 2014