“My Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

+1 281-257-9500
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peli Peli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 7,221 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, International, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Louetta
Description: Peli Peli, Houston's only South African restaurant, features steak, chicken & seafood cuisine with a "twist" by Chef Paul Friedman - 2013 Wine & Food Week Chef Of Chefs Award Winner & The September 2013 Cadillac Culinary Master. OpenTable Top 100 American Restaurants in the US Award Winner Best Atmosphere & Service - Houston Press Readers' Choice Winner (2009, 2012) 2010 Click2Houston winner - Best Romantic Restaurant
“My Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I bought one of the daily deals for Peli Peli about a year ago and have been hooked ever since. Our favorite is the Sunday brunch, but lunch and dinner are great as well.

The ambiance, the decor, the service and of course the food are all absolutely outstanding. We have had nothing but good experiences here and Chef Paul makes some of the best dishes you can find. He puts his South African twist on everything, turning something that may have been very familiar into something new.

It is on the North side of Houston but well worth the drive. Everyone we have recommended Peli Peli to has loved it and everybody returns. It is our favorite brunch spot, but great for family gatherings as well as a night out for no particular reason. Don't be surprised if Chef Paul makes his way to your table to tell a joke or maybe a story about his childhood!

Note: They are on Groupon pretty often, not sure how long they will be doing it, but if you're curious at all, pick up one of those deals and check them out. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited February 2013

91% Recommend
Cypress, Texas
“I am dreaming of Peli Peli...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been to Peli Peli 3 times now. It is our new favorite restaurant, the food is very different & unique. The steaks are out of this world, The Huguenot filet is TO DIE FOR! It sounds weird with blue cheese & rasberry sauce? But let me tell you, it is delicious, melt in your mouth good! The atmosphere is nice and their martini's with blue cheese olives are the best! The bacon wrapped scallops are like butter, even the little crunchy things on the plate are good! This is a great date night place to go. Yes, the prices are high, but I do not mind splurging a little for good food. I have read some of the negative comments on here and think they are completely wrong. Yes, it is a South African restaurant, but of course the chef is not going to serve African Antelope to people in the suburbs of Houston!! Come on, really? It has a South African flare. How many people want to eat Antelope? Not me. The steaks here rival the best steakhouses I have ever eaten at. The servers are always friendly and attentative & Chef Paul makes his rounds to visit the tables. We can't wait to go back!

• Visited February 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great place for a special meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife & I went here for our last anniversary. We started off with cocktails at the bar - a dirty martini for her & a Hendricks g&t for me - then moved on to a wonderful steak entree with a very nice South African cabernet. The side dishes are memorable too [a crisp apple slaw & french fried sweet potatoes]. The service was low-key but attentive. This was our 3rd or 4th visit and we'll be back many times again.

• Visited June 2012
Houston, Texas
“Confused about the great reviews & top ranking on Tripadvisor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I live near this restaurant in the far suburbs of Houston & am very surprised to see the rave reviews and the recent #3 ranking on Tripadvisor. I've been here 3 times for lunch and dinner. Portions were small to average, service was adequate but not amazing, and the food itself was average. The decor is pretty but I was underwhelmed by the menu choices and amount of food for the relatively high price. I live in teh area & wouldnt go back, much less make a trip there.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“One disappointment out of five”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Chicken curry, surf and turf, short rib osso bucco and garlic filet were awesome but the shrimp scampi was blah. The shrimp appeared to be boiled, no flavor at all. Even the presentation was not appetizing, colorless shrimp sitting on a bed of rice, perhaps they forgot the garlic sauce. Loved the sauteed spinach and carrot bredie. We were seated in a small room where the noise seemed to bounce off the walls making it difficult to have a conversation.

• Visited March 2013