“Meat lover's heaven” 4 of 5 stars

281-257-9500
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peli Peli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 7,312 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, International, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Louetta
Description: How do we describe Peli Peli? In one word, FLAVOR! Peli Peli (also known as Piri Piri or Peri Peri), which means Bird's-Eye Chili, is a spice that was discovered by the Portuguese in the 15th Century on the plains of Southern Africa. The spice rapidly became popular when used to prepare sauces and marinades for chicken and seafood cuisine. Peli Peli's cuisine, known as South African Fusion, features authentic South African delicacies along with American steak, chicken and seafood favorites that are prepared in Chef Paul Friedman's South African style. This style includes marinades, seasonings and spices used in South African cuisine with Dutch, Portuguese and Asian influences. In addition to this amazing blend of innovative cuisine, guests entering Peli Peli will embark on a journey that will capture their heart, soul and belly and enjoy a culinary experience that they have never had before.
Houston, Texas
“Meat lover's heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

It is located in a Vintage Park very close to HEB. We had grilled South African calamari as an appetizer. It is tender and full of flavor. It reminded me the grilled octopus we had in Thessaloniki, Greece which I craved for. For main dishes, we had safari steak, Espatada and Chilean sea bass. All tasted wonderful. The meat came in medium rare to rare, which is perfectly fine. We also tried sticky toffee pudding, it was one of the best bread puddings I have ever had. We definitely will be back.

Dallas, Texas
“Fabuloso”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

An early Friday night dinner with seats available. At 6:30 all tables were taken. We both had the 8oz filet cooked perfectly to our different tastes. The sautéed spinach was excellent. I wanted more. The coleslaw with mango and raisins was so good I saved mine for dessert. Don't miss the chicken wing appetizer. My wife and I agree, best we've ever had, anywhere. Sorry Hooters.

• Visited February 2013
Katy, Texas
“Love this place! Always good for date night.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been to Peli Peli 4 times and each visit has been consistently excellent. My spouse and I have gone for both lunch and dinner. The place has a great atmosphere and decor. The live music is a nice touch that gives it a romantic feel. I've enjoyed trying different menu items each time that I've gone and have not had anything that I have disliked yet. The service has been great as well and the servers do a good job of explaining the concept behind the various South African menu items and go way above to make the experience a positive one. Chef Paul also comes out at times to work the room and speak to guests which is another nice touch. The food is a bit expensive for dinner but they offer Groupons at times that can be used to offset some of this. I can't say enough positives things about this restaurant. It's definitely one of my faves in Houston.

• Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Ladies Night Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Peli Peli is a restaurant 6 women agreed would be great for a Ladies Night Out. We've all been there independently and thought it would be perfect. We arrived about 5 PM on a recent Thursday evening. It was warm enough to sit outside which was wonderful after being in an office all day. They have heaters in case the evening gets cools, but that wasn't an issue this evening. There was a guitar player and singer out in the plaza and that was very nice. Our waiter was Josh and he was great, never rushing us and having the patience to wait until all the members of our party were there. The food was delicious as usual! We all ate everything on our plates, along with three shared appetizers and two orders of sticky toffee pudding. The appetizers we enjoyed were the South African Flatbread, Sosaties - very yummy and the stuffed south african prawn. The stuffed prawn was great. Looks like a humongus shrimp, but taste like lobster. I had the Peli Peli Chicken which was so delicious! The marinade and sauce that comes with it is sweet, but a little spicy hot - yum! I usually only like white meat, but the dark meat was so good that I ate the whole thing. The sides of coucous and mango coleslaw were perfect with it. And we all agreed that no matter how full we were a trip to Peli Peli is not complete without Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It is a moist, moist date cake with a carmel sauce and vanilla ice cream. If you haven't tried it - you must! It is so addicting and good! We had a wonderful time and will all come again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“"Great place to Dine"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The fresh salads, tiger shrimp, scallops and steak was excellent. Was not rushed during our meal by the waitresses. Great atmosphere. If I had to really complain about one thing it was the noise. Had to talk a little loud to carry on a conversation, but all in all excellent.