“Fabuloso” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Louetta
Description: Peli Peli, Houston's only South African restaurant, features steak, chicken & seafood cuisine with a "twist" by Chef Paul Friedman - 2013 Wine & Food Week Chef Of Chefs Award Winner & The September 2013 Cadillac Culinary Master. OpenTable Top 100 American Restaurants in the US Award Winner Best Atmosphere & Service - Houston Press Readers' Choice Winner (2009, 2012) 2010 Click2Houston winner - Best Romantic Restaurant
Dallas, Texas
“Fabuloso”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

An early Friday night dinner with seats available. At 6:30 all tables were taken. We both had the 8oz filet cooked perfectly to our different tastes. The sautéed spinach was excellent. I wanted more. The coleslaw with mango and raisins was so good I saved mine for dessert. Don't miss the chicken wing appetizer. My wife and I agree, best we've ever had, anywhere. Sorry Hooters.

• Visited February 2013

90% Recommend
Katy, Texas
“Love this place! Always good for date night.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been to Peli Peli 4 times and each visit has been consistently excellent. My spouse and I have gone for both lunch and dinner. The place has a great atmosphere and decor. The live music is a nice touch that gives it a romantic feel. I've enjoyed trying different menu items each time that I've gone and have not had anything that I have disliked yet. The service has been great as well and the servers do a good job of explaining the concept behind the various South African menu items and go way above to make the experience a positive one. Chef Paul also comes out at times to work the room and speak to guests which is another nice touch. The food is a bit expensive for dinner but they offer Groupons at times that can be used to offset some of this. I can't say enough positives things about this restaurant. It's definitely one of my faves in Houston.

• Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Ladies Night Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Peli Peli is a restaurant 6 women agreed would be great for a Ladies Night Out. We've all been there independently and thought it would be perfect. We arrived about 5 PM on a recent Thursday evening. It was warm enough to sit outside which was wonderful after being in an office all day. They have heaters in case the evening gets cools, but that wasn't an issue this evening. There was a guitar player and singer out in the plaza and that was very nice. Our waiter was Josh and he was great, never rushing us and having the patience to wait until all the members of our party were there. The food was delicious as usual! We all ate everything on our plates, along with three shared appetizers and two orders of sticky toffee pudding. The appetizers we enjoyed were the South African Flatbread, Sosaties - very yummy and the stuffed south african prawn. The stuffed prawn was great. Looks like a humongus shrimp, but taste like lobster. I had the Peli Peli Chicken which was so delicious! The marinade and sauce that comes with it is sweet, but a little spicy hot - yum! I usually only like white meat, but the dark meat was so good that I ate the whole thing. The sides of coucous and mango coleslaw were perfect with it. And we all agreed that no matter how full we were a trip to Peli Peli is not complete without Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. It is a moist, moist date cake with a carmel sauce and vanilla ice cream. If you haven't tried it - you must! It is so addicting and good! We had a wonderful time and will all come again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“"Great place to Dine"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The fresh salads, tiger shrimp, scallops and steak was excellent. Was not rushed during our meal by the waitresses. Great atmosphere. If I had to really complain about one thing it was the noise. Had to talk a little loud to carry on a conversation, but all in all excellent.

Spring, Tx
“Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went here to celebrate my Birthday. There were 11 of us. Reservations were on time. Our waiter was great-the food excellent. I was impressed by the decor - An Arcadia Tree as the centerpiece and the 12 tribes or Israel as windows around the interior of the restaurant. The food is a little expensive - use the Groupon when you can. The noise level is higher that average.

• Visited September 2012