“Unexpected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rothko Chapel

Rothko Chapel
1409 Sul Ross, Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)
713 524 9839
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #76 of 449 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Owner description: A tribute to contemporary art: this beautiful building contains 14 paintings by the famous artist Mark Rothko and a sculpture by Barnett Newman.
Clayton, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
“Unexpected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I'd read about the Rothko chapel and wanted to see it. I wasn't prepared for the impact of the painting and the tranquillity of the setting. Wish I could have stayed longer to reflect, but my companions found it itchingly boring, so we left rather quickly.

Visited April 2013

Northern Minnesota, USA
40 attraction reviews
“Odd”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The place is odd and disconcerting. Whil I enjoy art, the black on black style of the canvases was not to my liking, it was interesting to visit.

Visited May 2013
Winchester, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Tranquil but art isn't my taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The chapel has a tranquil atmosphere and I felt privileged to be sitting where the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela have sat but I just don't find Rothko' s work very interesting.

It is free though and I like the idea of a multi-faith chapel.

Visited November 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
20 attraction reviews
“Unexpected but wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I thought I would be walking into a traditional art gallery with various paintings in multiple rooms. I was initially dumbfounded to find one vast open space with what appeared to be the same large painting on each of the walls. After spending some time in the space, however, I was able to appreciate the subtle nuances as the light changed and as I allowed myself to accept the chapel for what it is. This isn't for everyone. Go with an open mind!

Visited October 2013
St. Ingbert, Germany
6 attraction reviews
“Nice place - rude staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited the chapel on our last day in Texas before leaving to Germany. We wanted a quiet place for a short break. The chapel itself ist nice, we especially liked the idea of a denominal church. This idea is expressed by a choice of sacred scriptures (Holy Bible, Thora etc.) at the entrance of the chapel.
We wanted to take a picture of these books arranged at the front door because this arrangement expresses very good the idea of a denominal church which we don't have in Germany. So we wanted to show this picture to our high school students back in Germany as an example for open minded thinking. But one of the ladies became rude and unfriendly telling us that it's their policy not to allow pictures. No reason why, just their "policy". To make it clear: we did not want to take a picture of the artwork, nothing inside the chapel, with no other visitors present, no posing with thumbs up or so. Just the books at the front door! However, she ruined the nice and quiet, kind of spiritual experience we just had inside the chapel with her behaviour.

We will definitely never go back and keep this experience in our mind as the worst visitor service in Texas.

Visited September 2013