“Montrose Inn is now closed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Montrose Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Houston
Montrose Inn
You added Montrose Inn to your Saves list
408 Avondale Street, Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)   |
Ranked #14 of 39 Houston B&B and Inns
houston, texas
“Montrose Inn is now closed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Drove by to see if any updates or changes had taken place. Big Change-- the Inn is closed. There isn't a way to mark _Out of Business-when you rate the hotel?)The Lovett Inn still thrives and is lovely

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Business
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Oh my god!!!!!! What a dump...

The guy that works/owns that place has a bad attitude and mad at the world.

Dont stay there....your better off somewhere else...he will ruin your trip

• Disliked — owner/workers have bad attitudes
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2004

I innocently inquired whether any of the rooms had a view--simple question, pays to ask it sometimes because some rooms do indeed have much better views--and proprietor got very hostile w/me. Actually told me the Hyatt has rooms w/a view for $100 more a nite!
His nasty response to my simple question motivated me to call back + cancel a 3-nite stay.
I'll take my business elsewhere, than-you-very much!

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2003

In a word DREADFUL.I cannot believe in this day and age a place exists.Thankfully i think the sheets and towels were clean. But everything else was manky and stained.The walls in the bedroom have never seen a lick of paint for err umm 20 yrs.the windows in the downstairs room we had did not lock and any idiots could have broken in.twice someone charged into our room without even politelness of knockingits soo bad we left 2 days before we had to leave.my worst fears were realised when i saw a cockroach the size of a golf ball comeout from under the fridge...the owner appears nice but definitely a no no. DREADFUL.please note other inns in the area are including tax when they quote a price..this place wasntDREADFUL stayaway

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2003

This is a Youth Hostel type of place.If you are looking for a cheap place to stay this is it...nothing fancy.Clean.Shower, Bed, Breakfast, Beer all included.For the young, cheap, or on a budget traveller.Do not expect any extravagances.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2003

My experience at the Montrose Inn was one of the the worst experiences of my life. Arriving on a Wednesday evening without a reservation, the owner puts us up in a room with a shared bathroom, and tells us that it will be no problem changing us to a room with a private bath the next day. The first room is something a college student with no money would have: third hand furniture with parts missing; stained sheets and towels that must have been at least five years old; a closet unusable because of the hundreds of collapsed boxes inside; a second closet with more boxes, a broken piece of furniture, and a light connected to an extension cord, useless since it could not be plugged in anywhere. The door to the room could not be closed without setting the dead bolt. The room itself was under the stairs. The house itself is at least 80 years old; no one and nothing can move about it without the original, ill maintained hardwood floors creaking loudly. If a toilet was flushed or a faucet was turned on, the pipes would rattle, unanchored in the walls for approximately five seconds. That first night I could not sleep for all of the rattling, creaking, and singing. Houston has (or at lest has had) no zoning ordinances; there is a bar of some kind behind the Montrose Inn. Our second room was no better than the first: smelly, random, old furniture; a nonfunctional phone; window blinds that were either broken or too large for their windows--which was actually a good thing. The backyard was barren, littered with junk and tire tracks. I'm surprised not to have seen a car on blocks. The door couldn't be closed without setting the dead bolt, and the bathroom door couldn't be locked because it was so far from square, that the bolt didn't align with its notch in the frame. Nothing in that house was done properly or maintained correctly. The thick layer of paint covering everything could not disguise the bad patch work on the walls, could not fill the gaps between doors and their frames, and could not conceal the wate
int keep doors and cupboards closed; having painted over everything, if something needed to be opened, then the paint was broken, and there you have it.
But here is the most egregious problem I had with the Montrose Inn: the owner only dealt with my (then) friend. He never spoke with me. Never communicated anything to me. The day we were to check out, my friend leaves to do some sightseeing while I took my time to get dressed and packed. Half naked, from within the bathroom, I hear voices in the room. I say "Hello?" and they went away. A few minutes later the owner calls through the door, "I need you to get out of the room now." I'm freaking out; what's going on? I reply, "OK, I'm coming." He yells, "Now!" comes in the room and starts taking my things out. He's livid, and tells me that "check-out in hotels is standard between 11am and 1pm. It's now 2pm and I have a guest waiting for this room!" Professional hotels communicate to their guests when they are expected to check-out. I was never told when "check-out" would be, and had no way of knowing anything about such an unkempt establishment. No one had the decency to tell me anything: that the room was reserved for another arriving guest at 1pm, or that I was to be dressed, packed and waiting for my friend's return anywhere but in the room. Still trying to get dressed in the front room (it can't be considered a lobby) the owner hovers over me as if I were going to steal something. He asks for the key to the room, and I with appropriate anger tell him that it's in the room. He opens the front door and shouts, "Get out of my house!" While half dressed I was shouted at and kicked out for not having some mystic piece of information that "everyone knows." I have never been kicked out of any place before. I have never been accosted for not knowing something either. This incident has left an emotional scar, destroyed one friendship, and changed me forever. I can't close my eyes without reliving it.
I made the mistake of staying in this place more than one night because my (then) friend thought it was "quaint." I knew it was decrepit and unprofessional, but he was my friend.
My (then) friend is white. I am black, and I can't decide if that has anything to do with what happened.

Been to Montrose Inn? Share your experiences!