“worn out” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn

You added Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4104 Greeley Street, Montrose Museum Historical District, Houston, TX 77006   |
Ranked #3 of 41 Houston B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“worn out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Once charming and very artistic environment, alas a bit grimy and tired. Not worth the price for sure. We had to turn on the tap using the valve under the sink. The place is so dark for dramatic effect, after turning on all the lamps we tried to open the drapes and blinds to find all the cords were broken, then filthy windows. The querky paint job is worn out and the decor is so cluttered we could not function in the room. Only one dish of peppers with scambled egg is offered for breakfast, sweet rolls and no toast. Time for a complete redo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Upon investigation, It appears housekeeping and the office were not communicating. The hot water spigot (housekeeping) had been turned off because it was leaking, but the plumber had not been called (the office). So it appears there was a slip between the cup and the lip.

This guest has us confused with someone else regarding what we served them for breakfast. We don't serve peppers and eggs, and we certainly never serve anyone sweet rolls. Our unerring preference is fresh, whole foods.

In terms of "tired" surroundings, I think that may be in the eye of the beholder as it may appear that way to another eye. This is an 1890 Victorian Farmhouse. I lean toward artsy, funky, elegant, as well as plebeian pieces. What is tired to one person, may be character to another. Notwithstanding, I appreciate the input and will make another walk through of the Inn with a critical eye. It could surely be that something needs to be replaced. Robin's Nest has been in business 21 years and we're not perfect. Well, in some things, maybe . . . Thank you for your time and the opportunity to respond, Robin @ Robin's Nest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This place is pretty text-book B&B. It does feel like you are staying in someone's home. The self check-in was convenient. Breakfast was exceptional. The folks we met at breakfast were mostly professionals doing some extended stays for their work - a very interesting and smart bunch. The only stumbles were the weak A/C in the upstairs bedrooms (it was fine at night, but couldn't keep up in the daytime) and the weak internet signal upstairs. It is a very walkable neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Gothenburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We choosed Robin´s nest because we wanted to stay somewhere close to westminister road (for shopping) and midtown (for eating and drinking) and this was the only alternative within our budget. In reality it wasn´t close to anything. (Or close to everything if you have a car) Robin´s nest is exactly what it wants to be and what they claim to be. If you are not interested in feeling like you are staying at someones home than you should choose another accomondation.
Things are worn and not top-notch but it´s clean and the staff do everything to make you feel welcome.
Parking is on the street and there are lots of free spaces. Breakfast is very good but tell them in advance if you have a special diet. I´m a vegetarian so my boyfriend had to eat two plates:) The room was huge with a kitchen and private bath. There was even a little "balcony", see photos. There were lots of different books in our room about Houston. This was very appreciated!
I recommend this place to everyone who wants to meet other people and don´t want to stay in a big unpersonal hotel. That´s what I prefer so I will probably not come here again but the rating is because it is a great place if you are into that thing and it is what they say it is.

Room Tip: Antonios room is upstairs and there is no elevator.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great place, great rooms, private baths, friendly staff...breakfast tries to be too fancy, if that makes sense, so if you have any special dietary needs make sure they know in advance, the only issue we had was with breakfast. I even forgot something and they mailed it to me

Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at Robin's Nest B&B based on all these sterling reviews. We were very much disappointed with our stay and felt we had to warn others about what to expect if they choose to stay here. I've divided the following pros and cons into what we considered to be minor and major complaints.

Pros:
-location: very close to the museum district
-breakfast: food was good

Cons (minor):
Minor complaints fall into the "wear and tear" and cleanliness categories.
-furniture, rugs, linens, paint, etc. looked worn. (I'm not talking about antiques, which obviously show signs of wear from old age.) Towels were clean but dingy; some towels had holes; the pile was worn or worn through in floor rugs (again, these are not antique rugs but modern, synthetic, oriental-style rugs); paint chipped/worn throughout the house, inside and out.
-no hot water in bathroom sink. Fixture not appropriate size/shape for sink, so spigot cannot physically be turned on.
-lots of dead bugs in ceiling fixture globes
-dusty. Basic cleaning has been done, but not deep/detail cleaning; lots of dust in window treatments, ceiling fixture crystal do-dads, etc.
-one of the "clean" washcloths had a bunch of long hairs from a previous guest tangled up in it.
-crooked paintings, sconces, etc. (I know this is not a big deal, but it shows that cleaning is done hastily and without attention to detail.)
-Used juice and coffee glasses from previous guest were not removed/replaced.
-Reserved a particular room, but, upon arrival, were assigned a different room because the previous guest's dog had made the room unusable at that time. (We were not given details.)

Cons (major):

-FLEAS!! We were re-assigned to Cecelia's room, which was infested with fleas. The fleas were jumping up from the floor on our legs. I had to pluck them off my legs as I sat on the toilet and attempt to drown them in the toilet bowl. (Anyone who's dealt with fleas knows their outer shells make them difficult to kill by fingertip squish.) We had to constantly brush our legs off every time we got in and out of bed to make sure we weren't bringing them under the covers with us. They would hitch a ride with us all the way downstairs and out to our car (which makes me think they were in other areas of the house, not just in Cecelia's room). Luckily, I noticed this and we were able to brush off our legs before getting into the car. We stayed in this room two nights, and I have 10 bites on my feet and ankles. We had to take precautions not to bring the fleas back into our home, which included disrobing in our garage, washing all our clothes immediately, and fumigating our luggage. I just hope none of them jumped off onto the floor of the car, as we could still track them in later in the week.

We decided to "tough it out" with the fleas, since we were only there two nights and didn't want the hassle of trying to find another hotel during our short vacation time. When checking out, we told the proprietor about the flea problem. To our surprise, she casually shrugged it off, saying that it was normal to have fleas in coastal locations. (???) (I was thinking it had more to do with their open-door pet policy. And the lack of cleanliness. What about guests with pet allergies, I wonder?) She indicated that this has been a recurring problem. (Again, not surprising, due to all the canine visitors.) She did not apologize nor offer to compensate us in any way. So, we picked our jaws up off the floor and proceeded to leave, but not until encountering the following. Make of it what you will.

-raccoon corpse disposal. Let me preface this observation by stating my general position on racoons: I consider them varmints and they don't belong inside houses. But when a varmint needs to be removed, I personally prefer the job be done as humanely as possible.

On our way out, we approached the charming courtyard only to see two staff members attempting to transfer a well-dead raccoon corpse into a Glad cinch sack. Flies were swarming around the corpse, and the stench was so strong that none of us--other than the main corpse-handler, fitted with a face mask--could get closer than 10 feet of it. Not that we wanted to--ick. But what bothers me most about this situation is that the raccoon was caught in a *humane* box trap--you know, the kind where the animal goes into the trap and steps on a plate that triggers the door to close. At which point, the trapper should retrieve the trap and transport the catch to wherever--to animal control, to the countryside--and release it. Still alive. Instead, this raccoon was left in the trap, in the attic (during 100-degree summer heat in Houston), for who knows how many days, until well after he died. Welllll after. Until, I'm guessing, the wafting stench reminded them that they had set a "humane" trap in the attic.

I usually don't take the time to write reviews, but this place really shocked us. I'm suspicious of the previous reviews, especially the recent ones, since a lot of the issues aren't things that happen overnight. We hope they can get their act together, because it really is a prime location for museum-going in Houston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
I do remember this guest. I'm sorry he didn't have a good stay. It was rather chaotic that morning and I wasn't able to spend time with him. It was never my intention to offend. We had a dead raccoon in the attic, so we had a professional here to remove it. I think this was all on a Saturday morning and the Inn was full. He did say that we had fleas in Cecelia's Room, and I told him thank you and that I would check it out. Someone was waiting for me so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with him, which he may have mistaken as dismissive. I thanked him for the information and that I would investigate. The Head Housekeeper checked Cecelia's Room after he left and found no fleas or other critters. We've had several people stay in that room since he left and they have not complained of fleas. We do take pets, and while we require owners to be sure their pets are flea free, that isn't always the case. Nevertheless I'm mystified that he found fleas but staff didn't and the guests we've had in that room thereafter haven't.

Our raccoon person was climbing into, and working in, the attic. The guest was on the second floor also, in Cecelia's Room. If there were pictures askance, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm sorry this guest didn't have a good stay. That's always my goal or I wouldn't be in the business. I care about my guests, and I'm truly sorry that he didn't have a good stay. If I could fix it for him, I would. This was an unusual morning. I'm at a loss regarding the fleas, I gave the raccoon a blessing as he/she was carted away. An 1890 Victorian Farmhouse isn't built as tight as some of our houses today, and in spite of being in the inner city, we have possums, racoons, et al. It was their land first, so I can hardly complain but strive for some harmonious balance. I wish him the best, Robin @ Robin's Nest
Memphis, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in the Montrose/Museum District and found it at Robin's Nest. Robin helped us store our motorcycles safely and was very friendly without being intrusive. Parking on the street was easy.

We stayed in Cecilia's Room upstairs, which had a double bed and a twin, and a great shower. Only issue was that the central A/C was not cooling well upstairs, but I live in a 100 year house myself, so I understand that's a bit hard to control when it is 100F outside. There were ceiling fans in the bedroom and bathroom to keep us cool.

Even though we only ate breakfast a couple of the days, it was good, and Robin accommodated our requests for our picky eater 6 year old.

Room Tip: If you are not a morning person, choose a room upstairs to avoid breakfast noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We came in from San Antonio for the coldplay concert. The room was a little small but the tub was great! Service was excellent! And the location was great!

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
It is a great tub. And the room is a little small. And you are a great guest. I couldn't get that big whirlpool tub into my 1920s Craftsman without taking some footage from the bedroom. Thank you so much for staying with me and taking the time to write a review. You are a delight. Come back to see me. Robin

Been to Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!