“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #215 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites Medical Center for 3 nights in early October 2013 because my sister was having surgery at MDA. I was nicely surprised, given the rather negative reviews that several people have posted. It was very clean, very quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The kitchenette had a full-sized fridge with ice-maker, coffee pot and a stovetop with 2 burners. It was well-lit and I always felt safe and it had a shuttle to MDA on weekdays. The staff were all pleasant. It's not a 4-star property but you're not paying the price for a 4-star property. Overall, it exceeded my expectations and if need be, I will return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was there June 2013 for the first night on points. I put my cc on file for incidentals, normal. I was told a $45 hold. Next day, I needed to extend. Offered to pay cash so the card would not be charged as I had other plans for it. Clerk who came to be referred to as "the new guy" told me they needed a cc on file and that would be all. I told him that was already done. Again, let me pay cash , I was told not necessary. The next day I needed to extend again because my apartment was still not ready. Back to the desk and offered cash to be up to date. Another clerk, same thing, did not take the cash. I only put funds in this account as I warrant for known purchases. When checking my email I had a note from a vendor, my payment was declined due to insufficient funds. The money was there so what happened? Candlewood was making additional authorizations to my card without my permission. Another clerk told me he had to get his money somehow! When I told him I was trying to pay cash, that conversation went out the window. I suggested I use up the now credit from those unauthorized authorizations, agreed. When I checked out it had been 7 days and I was offered a discount. Meanwhile, when I asked about the $45 one particular clerk kept telling me his system showed no $45 hold and he was confident it was correct. My response was I am confident in my bank which said you are still holding this money! Once I left, the remainder of the $45 and balance since my rate was reduced was to be returned in 7-10 business days. My bank returns immediately upon release so there was to be no waiting period After 10 days I kept checking my balance and finally called the bank. The authorization hold was for 30 days!!! This touched off the second half of a fraudulent nightmare. The clerks and General Manager lied repeatedly about sending a "fax" over to my bank to release the funds. The banks says no faxes are used for this process and there is no fax number so where was the authorization release? I called Intercontinental Guest Relations numerous times and even they were lied to by the GM of sending it. It was nearly 2 weeks before I threatened to bring in the Attorney General for Texas before I was apparently taken seriously. Finally the GM who said he sent the paperwork admitted he never sent it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Groves, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a week for my husbands surgery at Methodist hospital. Service has been excellent. Shuttle vans to and from the hospital are free. There is a kitchenette with most everything you need. I brought supplies from a nearby grocery store such as coffee, creamer and snacks. You can buy these at the on site Pantry, but I found less expensive if you bring with you.
My room was clean. No daily housekeeping, but you can exchange soiled linens and towels as needed. Not a big deal for me. They offer free washer/dryer facilities for personal laundry, as well as a small gym. I have stayed at several hotels in the area that offer the "extras" but for the difference in cost I will stay here again as we will be back over the next 3 months. The hotel is quiet and I feel safe being there alone. I would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is terrible. The only good thing is its location to the Reliant Center.
Where to begin... I had the rudest experience of my life with a hotel agent the night before I arrived.
When I arrived I noticed Candlewood only does housekeeping every 7 days (my fault for not investigating). My room was disgusting! There was hair in my bed, there was a ladies disposable razor STILL in the shower! COME ON!
The couch and leather chair in the livin area were literally shredded. It looked like a dog clawed its way through the furniture; absolutely pathetic.
The kitchen was dirty and the glasses in the cabinets were stuck to the shelves with a sticky residue, GROSS!
I will never ever stay here again, never mind any Candlewood brand. Avoid this hotel at all costs, especially if you need an extended stay!

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Qwicker1985,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the room conditions that did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. Rest assured that the issues you have raised will be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future as we continue to try to improve and update our property, which does include the rooms on property.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A
heath, texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's a little hard to find but I have stayed there 3 times and thingshave been very good. It's not a four Season's but it is a good bed, quiet has small kitchenette in room. Close eating places. HAs a small gym and laundry area that is adequate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear docheath,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we
are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Hopewell, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We rented two rooms. A handicapped room for my dad and a King for ourselves. Upon check in, which is 3:00 pm but we didn't arrive until around 4:30 pm, we were handed the keys to our rooms and upon entering my dad's handicapped room, it was not cleaned, dirtly towels on the floor, so we exited and reported back to the front desk. We then waited in our room for them to advise when my dad's room would be ready. He was extremely tired and we waited until well after 7 and then called the front desk. We were told it would be ready soon. When we took my dad to his room, for some reason I checked the window. I don't know what prompted me to do this. The lock on the window was unscrewed and the window would not lock. I called the front desk to send maintenance and was advised by the front desk clerk that I was speaking to that he was the only one there and we would have to wait until 11 when someone else came on board. My husband then requested a screwdriver and fixed the window himself.

Also, this is not being picky, but to let you know when you rent a room from Candlewood, you need to turn on your ice machine in your freezer because they do not have an ice machine.

We also requested a shower chair and was told they did not have them. The manager the next day said they did have them, but would check to see if they were all in use and if they needed to order more to keep on hand. It was very difficult on my dad to shower without the chair and so I would not classify this as a truely handicapped room.

Upon check out, I told the manager our issues from the previous day and requested a discount. She was very nice and understanding and gave us a 10% discount. All I can say is if you stay on the first floor to any hotel, ALWAYS check to make sure the windows lock securely, especially in a handicapped room. All in all, I was happy with the personnel, they were friendly and responded as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the young man who helped us upon check in was new and needed a bit more training, which I did discuss with the manager upon check out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear JRMoxley1977,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Janice A
ragland,al.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

the staff is as friendly and kind as can be. very obliging to the needs of their guests. The maintenance and maid service are always busy and friendly. Clean as a whistle well kept up. on Wed. night the management has a welcoming dinner, because most people stay for at least a week it helps guests get to know one another if they should desire. Alot of people stay here to go to M.D. Anderson and the hotel provides a free shuttle to and from the medical center.

Room Tip: I like the suites that have a separate bedroom