“Handicapp Room on the 1st Floor” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #253 of 451 hotels in Houston
Hopewell, Virginia
“Handicapp Room on the 1st Floor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We rented two rooms. A handicapped room for my dad and a King for ourselves. Upon check in, which is 3:00 pm but we didn't arrive until around 4:30 pm, we were handed the keys to our rooms and upon entering my dad's handicapped room, it was not cleaned, dirtly towels on the floor, so we exited and reported back to the front desk. We then waited in our room for them to advise when my dad's room would be ready. He was extremely tired and we waited until well after 7 and then called the front desk. We were told it would be ready soon. When we took my dad to his room, for some reason I checked the window. I don't know what prompted me to do this. The lock on the window was unscrewed and the window would not lock. I called the front desk to send maintenance and was advised by the front desk clerk that I was speaking to that he was the only one there and we would have to wait until 11 when someone else came on board. My husband then requested a screwdriver and fixed the window himself.

Also, this is not being picky, but to let you know when you rent a room from Candlewood, you need to turn on your ice machine in your freezer because they do not have an ice machine.

We also requested a shower chair and was told they did not have them. The manager the next day said they did have them, but would check to see if they were all in use and if they needed to order more to keep on hand. It was very difficult on my dad to shower without the chair and so I would not classify this as a truely handicapped room.

Upon check out, I told the manager our issues from the previous day and requested a discount. She was very nice and understanding and gave us a 10% discount. All I can say is if you stay on the first floor to any hotel, ALWAYS check to make sure the windows lock securely, especially in a handicapped room. All in all, I was happy with the personnel, they were friendly and responded as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the young man who helped us upon check in was new and needed a bit more training, which I did discuss with the manager upon check out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear JRMoxley1977,

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
ragland,al.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

the staff is as friendly and kind as can be. very obliging to the needs of their guests. The maintenance and maid service are always busy and friendly. Clean as a whistle well kept up. on Wed. night the management has a welcoming dinner, because most people stay for at least a week it helps guests get to know one another if they should desire. Alot of people stay here to go to M.D. Anderson and the hotel provides a free shuttle to and from the medical center.

Room Tip: I like the suites that have a separate bedroom
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

You get what you pay for with Candlewood. The room was fine. They told me they had no king beds available. They told me my smoking preference could not be met. I stay at ICH hotels for the perks. None were met. They also told me that my free drink coupon could be used for one food item. (this is not the case usually. I should have redeemed it then). I tried to redeem it, and was told by the lady at the desk that I could not.
I also went online as soon as I got to my room, and found the availability of a king suite, along with my smoking preference. (This was on the ICH website).
I understand trying to make a profit, however, I don't appreciate being lied to so they have the possibility of selling at a higher rate.
I spend over 200 nights a year in ICH hotels.
If you're just looking for a place to stay, it's quiet, with many fast food choices in walking distance. Just don't look for your loyalty to the brand to be reciprocated.

Room Tip: 4th floor, and one near the end of a hallway. Floors/ceilings are thin, and the maids feel the need...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jacksonville, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently stayed here for 10 days as my wife and I were in between homes. The grounds were clean. Felt safe at all times. The kitchen was adequate. Laundry facility was clean and had an ample number of machines. The staff was nice. We had 2 dogs in the room, and this was surprisingly not a hassle. Nice area to walk the dogs. They have one outdoor grill which I used and it functioned perfectly. I would mention that the pictures of the pool are old. They have taken out the pool to make room for more suites. This was quite disappointing as was the relatively small fitness center. Also, I will say the Residence Inn is a couple miles closer to the medical center if that matters to you. I know Candlewood has a shuttle, but I never used it. However, for the price, this place was great. Again, clean and safe with a staff that was courteous while also being unobtrusive. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lake Charles, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel was not really all that bad. It seemed clean which is the most important thing to me but during the night I saw a roach in the bathroom. The bed was very uncomfortable also. I would not stay here again unless there was no other option.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Misty D, Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
05/21/12
I wanted to thank you first of all for choosing our Candlewood Suites to stay at. I am sorry about the issues you encountered during you stay. I want to let you know that we strive for excellence at our hotel and we are doing everything we can to improve on this situation. We do have pest control on site every 2 weeks and if ever a situation occurs that you see anything in your room, we will have them come out and take care of the situation IMMEDIATELY. This is not something we encounter often. And as for the comfort of the bed, if you need an extra pad for extra comfort, let us know at the front desk and we can get housekeeping to put extra padding on the bedding so you can get a great nights rest. Next time you are in town and decide to stay with us, if you have any issues please contact the front desk as soon as an issue arrises so we can correct the issue. I really appreciate your feedback so we can do everything to make our hotel as comfortable as home.
Thank you again....
Misty
Operations Manager
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hotel is lovely! I was here for cancer treatment and they have taken care of me so well! The staff was always so responsive to my needs and very friendly. The rooms are clean and the hotel is well maintained. I felt very comfortable here and I can tell the staff works very hard to keep everyone happy. I urge you try this hotel out if you are coming to MD Anderson bc they are very caring loving people and will take good care of you. The medical rate is very good compared to the other clean hotels in the area...you can find cheaper rates in the area at lower scaled hotels. I enjoyed the kitchen and wednesday night get-togethers the staff arranges. Overall, it's a wonderful place and I will be staying here for future check ups

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I love this hotel! The staff is amazing and the hotel is very clean. I stayed here during my cancer treatment and i couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The managers and entire staff took care of me and made me feel like I mattered. The hotel was clean and well maintained. They have a security guard at night who is very thorough and kept a good eye on the place unlike the other hotels in the area that have car break ins EVERY NIGHT!! I know the hotels can't control the crime but I definitely noticed that this hotel has minimal issues compared to the other 4 we tried out prior to staying here. No place is perfect but if you aren't one of those people who goes to hotels just looking for issues to complain about, you will like it here!

Room Tip: 4th floor has half smoking rooms so I avoid that floor if i can
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston Medical Center? Share your experiences!