“Spacious, comfortable and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Stay 2 Nights | 3rd Free
Ranked #14 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Spacious, comfortable and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I spent five nights at the Hotel Sorella a couple of weeks ago for a work visit to our office in Houston and I was really impressed with the hotel. It's bright, airy, modern, clean, and is staffed by extremely friendly, helpful people - everyone from the desk team to the waitresses to the valet guys to the cleaners were all surprisingly happy and welcoming. Is there something in the water?

The check-in clerk helped me find a high-up, quiet room away from the lifts, and - like most US hotels for us UK travellers - it seemed enormous. The twin room had two double beds in it, a really spacious bathroom with an excellent power shower (though like many US hotels, no bath).

As a business traveller with lots of computer equipment and a few phones, I really appreciated the large, deep safe in a pull-out drawer by the desk. The room also had the usual tea/coffee making facilities, and iron and board, but everything was spotless - even the ironing board appeared to have a fresh cover on it.

The gym on the 3rd floor is certainly small - there's a couple of treadmills, a couple of cross trainers and a bike, a small side area with a bench and an array of dumbbells and that's really it, but it's open all day, and it was handy to have somewhere to go and blow off some jet-lag at 5am.

Having seen that there was a pool listed, I did bring swimmers just in case, but I soon discovered that the pool is really only for lounging around during the day, as the public bar opens out onto the terrace by it, and so of an evening you'd be swimming alongside the evening cocktail crew, which for me would simply have been too embarrassing.

The breakfast is continental but a delight - a self-service area with a load of fresh fruit, breakfast cereal, fresh coffee, pastries, yoghurts and fresh juices. It's taken in the reception area, so it's more lounge chairs and side tables than a dining room, but it's relaxed and casual and there was plenty of indoor and outdoor seating.

I didn't have a car, so I relied on the valet guys out front to get me a cab every morning and they were all friendly and helpful. I also discovered that there's a hotel shuttle bus which they happily used to take me just up to the Memorial City Mall a couple of miles away one evening. A quick tip - it's only a 30 minute walk, but even at 9.30pm in the dark, in August the humidity is horrendous; I walked back in through the door as a vertical puddle.

The setting of the hotel, in amongst a wide array of restaurants makes it a very lively (though not too noisy) location. You're away from the main Galleria area of Houston (about $30 in a cab inc. tip) but there's enough choice (and shopping) if you're travelling on business like I was to keep you occupied.

All in all a great hotel experience, and one that I would have no hesitation in recommending at all.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We hope you return soon.

Ryan Gullion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Denton, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

My girlfriend and I loved our stay it here! One of the best hotels I've every been too. Stacy Ross was very helpful and made our experience a great one. Very modern hotel next to plenty of bars and restaurants.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback about your stay. We agree that Stacy is a star. Please come and see us again soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

First, let me say I love this hotel if I had the funds would buy it and stay there forever as the service is amazing especially Alvaro the front desk mgr. whom step out of his way to allow me upgrade my suite this allowed me to feel like a king for two days and it was a total surprise. Upon my arrival he completely changed my entire plans for the weekend as it now became a family gathering and when my sisters and friends and arrived they began to take selfies by the hundreds it was all over face book. Alvaro set a reservation for the Tasting room and that was a food frenzy it was the best ever. We then went back to the hotel and had some complimentry drinks and listen to some old school rock and roll it was like I was in Happy days all over again. We left here went into one of the local clubs right downstairs and the Hip Hop music had us all dancing in the streets and it felt like New York. After this incredible night we simply had to chill and with ruggles the jazz sound even 12 stories up it was enough to make me realize the amazing service he had provided. I am a former Music Promoter so I decided after the advise of many music friends I called to propose a Music Festival to be held on this property and tthe main site for it of course the Hotel Sorella stand by for details in the near future. But at the end of the day I have to send out a shout out and much Love to the entire staff and most of All to Alvaro you are my man and this Hotel is my favorite place for life. Pete Sanchez :0) Acura

Room Tip: Just come chill and get the penthouse it is priceless ....
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to recognize Alvaro and share your feedback. We look forward to you staying with us again very soon.

Missouri City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

As you may have read from my previous review, I have RAVED on Hotel Sorella. The location is wonderful, right in the heart of many awesome restuarants, bars, and lounges. The service has always been SUPERB, prompt, and friendly.

However, it seemed to have been missed when I decided to choose Hotel Sorella for my 26th birthday. The checkout was quick and easy as usual. I even received a "Happy Birthday" from the gentleman at the checkout.

I was running a little late for my get together at Eddie V's so I quickly ran up to the room to shower. Upon stepping out of the shower, I grab a towel to dry off hastily and it is smeared with make up. GROSS. I had to rush to dinner so I decided to ask for actual clean towels upon return. After dinner and a few drinks I return to the room only to pass out and go to sleep. Once I wake up, I peel back the covers to notice that my sheets are MOLDED!. I immediately march to the lobby to inform the front desk of my findings to report that the room clearly had not been cleaned nor santitized. I showed her a picture of my molded sheets and she replied with GROSS. No mention of management, she only informed me that she would inform the head housekeeper. What about me sleeping in MOLD??? I could have atleast had a word with the manager.

-Upset Birthday Girl

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for reaching out to us here as well as through your electronic comment card that you submitted. We have followed up with your comments and determined the stain on your sheets was caused by an issue we had with our ironer over the weekend. We are sorry we did not catch this sooner. This was fixed four days ago.

Our guests health and safety is our top priority. This is a good reminder that the process of providing this is one that never ends. Myself and our staff will double our efforts to make certain things like this do not occur in the future.

Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

What I enjoy the most of Sorella is the location. City Centre has a fantastic atmosphere for shopping and dinning no matter if you are with friends, parents or kids. The Hotel is modern with nice rooms for a very comfortable stay. The staff is kind and always eager to help. The american breakfast is not that bad with a fair enough variety of options. The Hotel is very convenient for business meetings.

Room Tip: I always pick top floors away from elevators.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. We are proud to have fans in Colombia.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I live about 15 minutes away from the hotel, but wanted to enjoy a short "stay cation" with my out of town parents. Location of hotel is excellent! We walked to different restaurants right next door.
The hotel itself - cost - for a weekend stay, I found the rate excellent.
The continental breakfast - exceeded my expectations - there was so ,any different fruits available, unique breads/ cressants and cereal options, on top of coffee and cappuccino.
We had a Junior Suite and it was perfect! My parents stayed in the hotel with us, and we were able to put them in our adjoining room at check in.
The Pool - although it was a little small, we were just fine and loved sitting outside ordering drinks from the bar.
The staff - very friendly and helpful.
We brought three books for their charity and enjoyed three free drinks.
We really enjoyed our stay and I plan on looking at this hotel for my next district meeting. The windows made the hotel feel open and enjoyable. And there were a number of places where you could walk outside and sit on the balcony. I saw two boardrooms that would meet my needs.
If you are considering this hotel, I would definitely try it. Also...they offer free car service for a 5 mile radius that would allow you to go to some other great restaurants on the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and considering us for future meetings. Feel free to contact me directly should you require any assistance. Thank you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff was outstanding on my recent stay. I'm there on a fairly regular basis, and they really helped me out during a stretch where the property was full. I'd stay there on any biz trip in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. We truly appreciate it.

Ryan Gullion

Been to Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE? Share your experiences!