“Service disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 451 hotels in Houston
UK
“Service disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Rooms were fine, spacious and clean. Had to wait for quite a while for cooked breakfast the first morning so decided to have the continental for the rest of the stay, which is included. Had a friend over for coffee, we gave up after waiting 20 mins and nothing turned up!
Pool was closed and the "gym" very small. The area where the hotel is situated is very nice, many restaurants close by. We were there during the NBA all-star weekend so the room rates were quite high and not really worth it. Our friends found it difficult to find us by car so agree with previous person, better directions needed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I have shared it with our team and we are all working, every day, to improve. We do hope you give us another chance when your travels bring you to Houston. Feel free to let me know if you do so I can make sure you have a great stay.

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Upon doing my research for a great place to stay in Houston this establishment was getting great reviews not only online but also by friends. We decided to stay here for my birthday weekend in mid October without our children. Upon finding the valet area we were greeted by a valet attendant who was fast and friendly. Once we got arrived to the floor to check-in, the front desk attendant was short with us and seemed more concerned with getting payment than welcoming us to the hotel. Please understand I have stayed in many 5 star hotels from The Ritz Carlton to Mandarin Oriental, also some 4 star hotels and received a better welcome then I did here. After getting pushed through payment, them giving us our key, we headed to our room. The walk to the room was a little dark but I will say the room was impeccable. Everything was well appointed and the bed was amazing. The construction right outside our window was less than desirable and I wondered why we weren't given a different room that was not facing that eye sore or noise after we requested one. There were a few more times we encountered hotel staff but none of them greeted us nor did they seem interested in us being at their hotel. I value great customer service and it goes a long way with me. The price we paid for the room was way over priced for the service we received and the construction we had to deal with outside our window.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are excited the construction across the street is proceeding quickly with little or no impact upon our guests.

We also know once this is completed, it will create a very vibrant environment for our guests.

I have shared your check in experience with the appropriate individuals and appreciate you sharing this observation with us. We look forward to your return.

Woerden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went there on a business trip and stayed for four nights. The hotel is located at an excellent location very close to a main traffic hub. Parking is available for free in the large garage next to the hotel.

The rooms were great with everything you need although a bath was missing which might be dissapointing for some. Breakfast and service were also really good and when you take the pricing into account it was really good value for money.

Besides business trips this hotel is also very suitable for private trips. Well recommended.

Room Tip: I had one with a view on the highway (which is nice for the view if you are on the higher floors) an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay! We would like everyone to know that we do have select rooms that have a bath tub and you can either request these rooms when you book your room or upon check in and we will do our very best to accommodate you. Hurry back!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Nice business hotel, excellently located. Nice big room, free WIFI, good shower (no bath which was a shame), good decor, good service, reasonable value, felt very clean ... had a nice vibe ....

Downside - - - all my emails were blocked to clients due to the hotel internet server being deemed unsafe and the room service food was grim. Had room service twice and I would just say don't do it ... go somewhere else.

Finally the zip code didn't work on the GPS system, and it took me about 10 phone calls to get directions. There are NO signs for a newcomer to the area to direct you to the right car park. Sort it out eh?!

Room Tip: My room overlooked a building site (which started work at 7am) and the freeway!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I was troubled to receive some of your feedback and would really appreciate it if you could share the specific details with me since they are not indicative of the service we aim to provide our guests and I would like to make the needed corrections without any further delay. I have included my contact information below and look forward to speaking with you.

rgullion@valenciagroup.com
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I travel for both business and pleasure quite often so feel I have a pretty good basis for comparison when reviewing a hotel. I stayed at Hotel Sorella for a work conference in February. Having nothing to do with the hotel itself the conference area was conveniently located across the street and accessible via sky bridge. Very convenient.

Finding the lobby is a bit confusing as the entrance to the hotel is on the side of the building and you need to take the elevator to the second floor. The doorman who parked my car gave good instructions on how to access the lobby.

I was checking in at 9:30pm, so no wait. The front desk person was friendly and efficient and explained the amenities of the hotel perfectly. Enough information to be helpful without droning on and on to cause me to stop listening. The star of the show however was the bellman on duty. I wish I could remember his name. Management if you are reading this he was working the night of 1/31 and had what seemed to be a Caribbean accent. He was friendly and helpful making pleasant small talk while we went to my room. I had a large package delivered to the hotel and he returned quickly with it. I practically had to chase him down to tip him which I love as too often you have the bellman who awkwardly hangs around for tip.

The room is modern decor, very comfortable bed, sofa and automon and a jetson-esce chair that is way more comfortable than it looks. The hotel provides a free continental breakfast that had this Minnesota girl in February drooling over the fresh berries.

The hotel is located in a microcosm of a city. One of the newer concepts where there are apartments, a hotel, restaurants and shops all self-contained in a 3 square block area. I enjoyed sitting outside eating frozen yogurt while listening to live music in a courtyard and watching 15 small children run around and play in the courtyard.

So why a business travelers dream? This hotel checks all the boxes. Comfortable bed, free no password required wifi, free breakfast which is a great way to stretch that travel per diem. The room has plenty of outlets to simultaneously charge my laptop, cell phone, ipad and kindle all from the desk area (pet peeve is having all my devices scattered in different outlets around the room and having to go on a scavenger hunt to find where I stashed something....behind the dresser, in the bathroom, had to unplug a lamp etc). The hotel is located in an area with chain and non-chain bars and restaurants within walking distance and is visibly patrolled by police on segways.......much appreciated as a solo female traveler.

Areas for improvement? Not much that I can think of. Rooms overlooking the plaza area can get a little loud and maybe leave the coffee out later in the morning. Really that’s all I can think of.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay! I have shared your review with our team and they were excited to hear you had such a great stay with us. Hurry Back!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel Sorella CityCentre is definitely a hotel you should consider whether traveling into the city or just looking for a local stay-cation getaway. My wife and I have stayed here several times for a romantic weekend getaway, and even though we are local to the Houston area, when we stay here, we feel like we are on an out of town trip. The hotel is located in the Energy Corridor of Houston, and only a short drive from the downtown area and the uptown Galleria area. The CityCentre area is a great place to spend time with entertainment and eateries at ever corner, you never need to leave!

The hotel itself is FANTASTIC. The rooms are well appointed and very spacious with very comfortable beds. Free internet and free continental breakfast is a very rare find in a hotel of this nature, but the Hotel Sorella is focused on customer convenience and satisfaction. One of the friendliest staffs we have ever come into contact with at a hotel. The Bistro Alex offers great dining option at the hotel ( I hear the crab cakes are awesome, but have not had the opportunity to try them yet) and the Mona Lisa Bar is a hip place to be on a Friday or Saturday night.

So if you are in town for business, but want a fresh place to get away after business hours or if you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, the Hotel Sorella is your answer. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for all of your kind words! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on numerous occasions and we look forward to your return.

Naperville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Hotel Sorella is my pick for staying in Houston on the west side- "Energy Corridor" . The location is fantastic as there is shopping, restaurants, a ftiness facility and movie theatre all there. The hotel itself is contemporary -calm. The complimentary breakfast has loads of fresh fruit and you can eat on the outside terrace.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SorellaGM, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your recommendation and can't wait for you to return.

Ryan Gullion

Been to Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE? Share your experiences!