“Nice!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #175 of 481 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, TX
“Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Recently stayed at the Aloft in Houston for business. It's a great location, close to lots of places to eat and the Galleria if you want to shop. I've wanted to stay here before, but my company always balked at the price, in comparison to other hotels. But, there was a deal available and I got to try it out.

It's a strange set up. A small ground floor area with reception and a bar. I think the fitness center and pool are there as well, but I didn't use them. Then, the next 5 floors are a parking garage with the hotel rooms sitting on top of this. With rooms beginning on the 6th floor, at least there is a little view. Not great, but better than the local streets.

When I arrived, there wasn't a soul at the desk, which was very odd. 2 more people arrived and were waiting with me for a desk clerk. It was probably less than 5 minutes, but still strange. 2 clerks appeared from a door and promptly apologized and checked us in.

I despise having to pay for parking (THIS IS AMERICA!!! jk,lol) and self parking is $16 in their garage. You park upstairs, then use a key access elevator and lobby to go up to the rooms.

I had a king standard room. It was probably smaller than most hotel rooms, but well laid out and comfortable. Modern design and some fun tech things are what the hotel is about. The bed was great and I loved the linens. Nice thick towels were way better than most. They have a built in wall pump in the shower for shower gel and shampoo. It's a nice Bliss product. This may be the first time ever, but I actually think the water pressure was too strong. It was nice at first, but it seemed VERY intense. Be careful with tender areas!

The AC seemed a little on the loud side, but masked anything else. I slept great and was out fast in the morning.

I liked the plug setup bedside for multiple phones or ipad, etc...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

PROS

Clean, quiet
Friendly staff
Loved the shower head
Comfortable bed
Nice decor
Convenient location for Galleria mall shoppers
Competitive room rate

CONS

Bathroom/toilet has no door (odd designed)
My room had a view of a parking lot
Confusing self-parking, no signs directing drivers and exit gate has 2 swipe machines
TV did not work (checked both remote and TV main power button), but I did not mention
it until I checked out. So, assume they could have fixed it or moved me. Not an issue.

Overall, I would stay here again since I now know the parking process and I can handle there being no door on the bathroom.

Room Tip: Parking entrance off Yorktown St.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am growing to like the Aloft concept. It's value is combined with upscale decor and efficient use of space. The Houston Aloft is no different, but the staff itself was great. Check-in clerks were very nice, and staff was very attentive. The rooms are well maintained, and the small nature of the hotel made it very quiet and easy to maneuver. Parking is easy, as it's located on the same elevators as the rooms. I know people complain about the price, but it's competitive given the entire galleria area charges for parking. My only complaint is location (which is not the issue of the hotel). Unless you're on business, or just looking to shop, you can only get around by car or taxi. But that's just the nature of Houston currently. Although, several bus lines do run right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east give a good view of downtown; upper floors. Self park is easy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Modern rooms which are compact and simple. Everything you need all combined in a neat small space. This is perfect if you need somewhere as a base hotel, its not a hotel you would want to relax in.

The beds are super comfortable.

The air conditioning unit is huge and very noisy which would be my only criticism of the room. Parking is expensive at $16 per night.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel really does have a great concept going... Check-In was awesome great staffs was accommodating with early check -in... received free self parking part of their fortune cookie drawing Room was clean... Shower water pressure what one of the best one I seen in awhile. Bedding was super comfortable made me didn't want to get up. Love the decor for the hotel. Overall it's a great Hotel with a unbeatable price point

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Aloft Hotels are owned by the Weston Group that also owns The W Hotels. Aloft is (for lack of a better word) lesser version of The W. It still has the great staff and some of the quirky décor, that's a compliment BTW, and awesome furnishings. I have been to bouquet hotels that try to do what The Alofts has done but they always seem cheesy. This hotel is in a great location right by The Galleria and you can walk there for shopping and plenty of dining choices.
Now there isn't a restaurant on the premises however The Capital Grill delivers room service...cant beat that! There is no pool...which kinda sucks and Im not sure if any of The Alofts have them or not to be honest. They are dog friendly and even provide snack and bowls for you pooch just like The W's do.
I guess my only complaint is that there isn't any ice machines in the hotel! Weird, indeed! We found this out by asking a janitor where the ice machine was. He didn't speak English very well but lead us down the elevator and thru the bowels of the service area of the hotel, I was actually a little nervous, then lo and behold and ice machine! I guess it was for the bar. It was very nice of him to take us there provide a small ziplock bag so we could "fill up".
Over all a great place to stay and its always affordable.
There is a nice bar...the server the night we were there sucked tho.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Montecore1
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I don't get on here to write reviews often. The rooms were great... until the very very very very loud music played all night from the bar across the street. Trust me do not stay here if you want to sleep.

Room Tip: Maybe get a room on the other side of hotel?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank CodyPhotography
max j, General Manager at Aloft Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve and we truly apologize. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short due to our neighbors across the street. We work diligently with local law enforcement to ensure our guests are not interrupted by the venue and their music and we do everything from room moves to offering ear plus as well and informing local law enforcement when the venue crosses the line in local noise ordinance. If you had notified us of this we would have been more than happy to help you. I am very happy to see that you rated 4 & 5 stars in value, location, service, rooms and cleanliness. Please accept our most sincere apology and thank you again for your feedback

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels