“Clean rooms, rest needs improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Athens Hotel Suites

You added Athens Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Athens Hotel Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1308 Clay St, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Rainbow Inn) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #279 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Delhi
“Clean rooms, rest needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights during the CERAWEEK 2014. Clean rooms, very friendly front desk staff. In the middle of downtown, next to Toyota center. Fairly nondescript, not easily traceable. My friend had to drive around 3 times before calling them and being guided. Room has a kichenette with cutleries. However the hotel has a dingy feeling with dirty carpets on stairs, damp smell (the smell in the room went away once the heater was turned on), narrow corridors. They serve morning breakfast on a desk in the narrow corridor next to reception (a mop was parked next to the desk one morning) and you pick it up and eat anywhere you want (no sitting place). So if you want a budget place with family (rooms are cramped with 2 queen size beds) it is okay, else avoid (my office booked it for a business trip).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi regular_trav,

Thank you for your review.

First of all thank you for your business and let me apologize for the carpets in the hall. We try to deep clean the carpets frequently to keep everything fresh but sometimes the weather plays havoc with that. After even a light rain, mud on shoes tends to be a problem and though we take every step to stay on top of that, apparently we did not keep up with it as well as we should have. Again I apologize for that.

The damp smell in the room comes from the level of humidity that the city has. Even on a moderate day if the humidity is high it will cause that. We have taken the steps to eliminate that by turning on the room air conditioners in the morning when we are cleaning the rooms and that helps reduce the humidity levels and eliminates the damp smell.

The breakfast area is small but there are places to sit. We are in the process of rearranging things to better serve customers that wish to eat in the lobby and hopefully this will not be an issue again. As far as the mop bucket being next to the table, I will address that with housekeeping. It was obviously an oversight but one we need to proactively address an I will personally address that.

I'm sorry that you couldn't recommend us after your stay even though you initially said the rooms were very clean. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to change your mind on that. If there is ever anything I can personally address that would put you more at ease, my door is always open.

Assistant GM
bill@athenshotelsuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

have stayed here several nights and it has a real family feel to it. the front desk folks treat you like family and are very accommodating. the rooms are clean and the price is good for being right down town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rainbow23, Owner at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad we made you feel at home. We want every guest to feel that way and we work really hard to provide the comforts of home. Our guests are part of our family and we always want to respond to any concerns with a sense of urgency and compassion.

Thanks again for the kind words and for your business!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I LOVE this place! Been here on an extended stay and it's perfect for me. The price is great, it's pet friendly (which my bird loves!) and has a convenient breakfast (but you'll have to heat it yourself if you want it hot). Rooms include kitchenettes with a small set of cook/bakeware. The views on Clay street are beautiful. All rooms are upstairs, but no elevator needed if you're able-bodied. The spot couldn't be better either, because it's close to just about everything. And the staff has been very helpful when I've needed them. I would definitely recommend Athens to anyone looking for a downtown gem!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi and thanks for your response. Although I am open to listening to comments good or bad, it always is a pleasure to hear when we do something right. We have a tiny staff compared to "the big boys" but we work extra hard to provide a clean safe environment for a reasonable price near to most of the major attractions in downtown Houston. I hope we continue to do right by you. Thanks again for your business.

Bill Anderson - Assistant GM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I am a native Houstonian. I love my city and the many, many great things it has to offer. I booked a stay to celebrate my anniversary and got a nightmare. Room was smelly, damp and very small. There is no elevator. The ice machine was a set of trays in fridge. Cable television list was misrepresented. The "continental" breakfast was cannisters of stale cereal and fruit. I would return if I was paid to. I hate to sound mean but spend the extra fifty bucks and go to a nicer hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hello,

First of all, thank you for your response.

I'm sorry your stay wasn't up to your expectations. As the assistant general manager, It always upsets me personally if we fail to satisfy our customers as an unhappy customer leads to a lost customer. I hope you will give us another chance in the future and if you would ever like to discuss what we can do to improve things to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing any comments, good or bad, and will do everything in my power to address your concerns.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were traveling through Houston when my husband required emergency services and was in ICU for 2 weeks. The hospital discharged him earlier than expect with just $8 in his pocket in a city he had never been in before. I made the arrangements over the phone not knowing what to expect. Athen's Hotel picked him from the hospital and assisted him to his room. The next day they drove him to Amtrak so he could come home. The staff was great and very personable especially considering how often I called. I will always be grateful to them for taking such good care of my husband.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
First of all, thank you for the kind review. I was the person who picked up your husband from the hospital and got him to his room and to the train station the next day and it was an honor to help you out in your time of need. I believe it's personal touches like that which separate us from the big chain hotels. We have a small staff but we do everything in our power to make each guest's stay as pleasant as possible and I'm glad we came through for you. I hope you will keep us in mind if you ever pass through our city again and if I can ever be of assistance again, please do not hesitate to ask.

Turin, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I spent a lot of time before leaving to Houston searching for a good hotel. I was looking for something which was close to shops and restaurants and not so expensive. When I found Athens Hotel Suites , I thought it was my lucky day!
Of course, I knew that for that price I couldn’t expect something luxurious, but the impact was different than the expected. The smell at the entrance make you immediately feel that the place is old and does need a “refresh” everywhere. Furniture are old and damaged; the windows have perhaps never been cleaned and the pots I found in the kitchen were very old and rusty. I cannot used them and after several attempts to get new ones, I bought them. The owner was very generous and gave me one of his, but it was still not new..
The cleaning of the room was just happening by chance, from time to time. I was generally cleaning the room by myself. Often, the trash baskets were almost never empty and never cleaned. Sometimes the room was not cleaned (towel not changed) for 2 or even three days. It happened almost three times.
Cold water is not coming down neither from the kitchen nor from the bathroom. Be sure that brushing teeth or washing face at early morning with hot (not even warm) water is not pleasant. Once, I got completely burnt because the water was simply boiling! I complained more than one time, nothing happened.
Hangers were completely useless and the iron and the table too. I wonder why they are not thinking of buying new stuff … with few dollars, going to Ikea or any other place, you can fibe have clothes hangers for less than 5 dollars!
The kitchen sink was always broken, water was not going down ,,, I was begging them to come and solve as I was using the kitchen a lot and there was always a bad smell because of the stagnant water. They try to fix it more than one time, at the end one of the staff members told me that they never had problem in that room!!
The “gym” is a 4.3 square meters room, with one cyclette more or less working and a broken tapis roulant.
Oh… there is a patio, but it is full of work tools and never clean.
Breakfast is poor and served at the entrance. There is only one small plastic table and a couple of chairs. However, you can take it to your room.
Parking Is not available for free and that is one of the reason (the owner said) for keeping the prices low. Actually , for 80 dollars a night, you can have something more. I am still waiting to get an answer for the tax reimbursement ….
As a positive aspect, I have to say that it is really close to shops, good supermarket, banks and to the theatre district. Staff is not bad, they try to be as kind as they can, but, perhaps, the sacrifice of staying there is too high, above all if you have to stay one and half month ! If they want an advice I tell them: try to renovate a little bit and be more efficient. It does not cost and your customers will feel better. It is a pity: I have to go back to Houston and would love to stay in same area, but Athens Hotel will not see me again. Perhaps , they will be happy too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
First of all I'm sorry your stay didn't meet your expectations but frankly your review is unfair. You claim that room service was hit and miss but most of the misses was attributed to the fact you didn't want to be disturbed. When that occurs, housekeeping is instructed to do just that. We always tried to service when you were out but we did make a few mistakes in that area and for that I am truly sorry.

Your claim about the sink being clogged was due to you dumping coffee grounds down the drain, yet every time you informed us, we sent someone to fix it.

The hot water claim comes down to the constant changing weather we've had in Houston this year. One day would be cold and the next day hot. We have to constantly adjust the water temperature depending on the outside temperature and sometimes we adjust for cold weather and it suddenly warms and vice - versa. We do the best to anticipate but it's not an exact science.

The workout room is small mainly because the hotel is small. There is a treadmill , elliptical, and bike in the workout room. The treadmill was broken and we had been trying to get it serviced but we were put on a waiting list due to service demands. Apparently November-March is the busy season for exercise repairs and service due to people doing yearly maintenance on their equipment.

The patio is power washed at least 2 times a week and trash is picked up everyday. Usually tools are only on the roof when maintenance is there to repair something.

Parking is not available for free anywhere in Downtown including every hotel in Downtown. When you stayed here we hadn't even started offering paid parking. We did not start that until February, more than 1/2 month after you left.

Now on to what I believe is the root of your displeasure, the room tax refund. The State of Texas has regulations pertaining to the waiving of taxes which we have no control over. The regulations are clear and not subject to change. You didn't follow the protocol and then blamed us for it. It's as simple as that.

Finally, we constantly renovate the hotel based on immediate needs. We just upgraded the security system to better secure our property and in the process of upgrading much of our amenities in the rooms. That said, Rome wasn't built in one day and sometimes it takes time to implement things. This is frustrating to us as well as guests but we do the best we can to overcome.

Bottom line is we offer clean quiet rooms close to everything Downtown at a fraction of the cost of the chain Hotels in Downtown and while we're not perfect, we do our best to ensure that every guest's stay is as pleasant as possible.

Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Made reservations for 2 rooms and then cancelled them after we stopped by the hotel 1 month before our trip just to check it out due to other bad reviews - the prostitute in lobby asked if I was her date for the night - UM NO! We cancelled our rooms well in advance and got charged for 1 room the day we cancelled it which was refunded and now we have been charged again for both rooms due to "no shows" for rooms that were CANCELLED! Very unprofessional and unethical and disguisting place that rents rooms by the hour when their tenants are walking the streets.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for the review. I'm sorry we didn't live up to your standards but to accuse us of being crooks is misleading. Yes there was a discrepancy, and a mistake on our end with the billing but we did take care of it immediately and everything has been rectified to that end. The bottom line is we're not perfect and unfortunately sometimes honest mistakes are made and in this situation it was a combination of human and computer error that lead to the billing problem. Rest assured, we have made steps to ensure that won't be a problem again. I don't know your definition of ethics but it seems to me we did everything to make things right in this unfortunate situation.

Now to your second claim of prostitution in our hotel. We do not cater to prostitutes nor do we allow them to operate out of the hotel much less in our lobby. If we find a guest that is engaging in that type of behavior, we will not allow them to stay in our hotel. We have made improvements in the last month with the addition of security cameras to keep an eye on every part of the property so we can enforce that better. The bottom line is we want all of our guests to feel safe and secure while staying here and we will stop at nothing to ensure that.

As always I am here to listen to your comments, so feel free to contact me personally with any concerns.

I hope that answers your concerns and again I sincerely apologize for the error.

bill@athenshotelsuites.com

Been to Athens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!