“Great hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Athens Hotel Suites

You added Athens Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Athens Hotel Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1308 Clay St, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Rainbow Inn) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #347 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here and the staff was great. They are so nice and they helped me with everything that I needed. I asked for a map of the city and where some good food places where. The gave me a good choice and went there. I stayed here because I did not want to drive home drunk. Thanks for everything that you have done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the nice remarks. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that we attended to your needs. Next time you need a place to "sleep it off", please keep us in mind. We'll go out of our way to make it a great stay.

Cheers,

bill@athenshotelsuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pyongyang, North Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

An unusual hotel, that's what should best describe this hotel. The lady
that worked the front desk and did prepare the breakfast was very courteous and I had some fun talking to her. The room is clean and well-lit, wi-fi worked fine. Breakfast is simple but ok, just note the service time
varies a bit. Be sure you have the card when going out as you will need it to come back in. It is close to Toyota Center, neighborhood is ok.
And maybe it's only on weekends or it was on that particular weekend I have spent there, but there's a lounge/club that is very loud, although my room was in a far away corner (my colleagues weren't that lucky).
The sink in the bathroom was broken and had a hole on it. I took a photo as evidence and told the front desk, and they promptly acknowledged that it was caused by a previosu guest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi and Thanks for the review. Unusual is a good description for us but in a good way. We're not like the big chain hotels with people wandering the halls at night making noise or bothering guests with loud noise. Here you get a nice quiet family owned hotel that puts service and hospitality over everything else. I'm sorry about the sink as it should have never been an issue and I will address the housekeeping staff about recording things like that on their housekeeping reports. Also, the club you mentioned is no longer open as we felt it created an atmosphere that was not beneficial to our hotel. If it ever opens again, we will take the necessary steps to better sound proof the building so this will never be an issue again.

Again thanks for you honest comments. We are always changing the way to do things to better accommodate our guests and these reviews give us the opportunity to see where we do things right and where we need to improve. If you ever have concerns or questions, my door is always open.

Thanks again for your business!

Regards,

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

On December 9, 2013, I checked into the Athens hotel (booked online). Prior to arriving at the hotel, I had discussion with my family about the mixed reviews on this board and was somewhat concerned with many of them. In hindsight, I thought, maybe my experience will be better, however, would discover the poor reviews were with merit. As I entered the hotel, I was a bit concerned because the lobby was small, dark, and not very appealing. My son immediately started frowning and whispered in my ear, mom this place looks horrible. We were accustomed to four and five star hotels, clean in appearance and on a much larger scale, and certainly not a hotel with a Mayberry RFD appeal. I decided to rough it out for the two nights and convinced my son to overlook the lobby. Our plans were to be there for 'only' two nights for the "Beyonce Concert," which was at the Toyota Center. Moreover, the location of the hotel was the reason I chose the place. My significant other was still seated in the car, (he has a herniated disk) and my first objective was to get him in the room without incident. After speaking with the desk attendant (consierge in this regard does not apply, I informed the attendant that my friend was seated in the car and asked for a wheelchair. Although he could walk, we use a wheelchair on occasion to take the pressure off of his disk. I was informed that they did not have a wheelchair. I asked for a luggage cart to assist with the luggage. I was informed that they did not have carts, and neither did they have elevators. I was shocked and wondered about how they were able to meet ADA complicance laws (perhaps they were grandfathered in). The attendant stated that their hotel was built on the Athens style, and therefore, not equipped with elevators. Athens style (sure because the initial name was Rainbow Inn I would discover after researching hotel upon arrival). Frankly, his response didn't matter, because the health of my friend was of concern, particularly when inspecting the steep stairs. I asked for a refund and informed that I could not receive a refund because I should have cancelled on December 6, 2013. and after speaking with the man behind the counter about my reservation being already paid for. I was livid, and remember my son stating, no carts and no elevators, what kind of place is this. I walk out of the door to speak with my friend about the events unfolding and how I had booked a hotel from hell. My friend, the calm soul he is suggested I pull the car up front and help him into the lobby since no wheelchairs were available. He said he was tired and we may have trouble booking elsewhere and to make the best of it for the two nights. Once he was seated, my son and I carried the luggage up the stairs. I was beyond angry! The room was small, and as I carried the second set of luggage upstairs, a younger male was informing an older man, that he should not be entering the room I was in because a young man was in the room. Despite being told this he walks into the room with my son, I walk faster toward the room wondering why this man is going into the room, unanounced while my son in in there. I walk in and ask him what he is doing. He states he is the owner and maintenance man and was putting a flap on the toilet. His energy was odd, and he gave me strange looks. I diid not feel comfortable with his entering the room. This work should have been done prior to check-in because our arrival time was 3:00pm CST, and we arrived at approximately 5:15pm, enought time for his so-called maintenance. After taking the luggage upstairs, I assisted my friend up the steep stairs. Unfortunately, half way up his legs lock and his back goes out. I ask for a chair, for him to sit it at the first flight of stairs. My friend rest for a few minutes and stand up to walk, his back gives way and he falls. The owner immediately starts to talk about not wanting to be sued, my mind is not on sueing anyone but helping my friend get off the floor. The owner speaks about being sued again, lamenting over a man who fell, stated he would not sue and took him to court anyway. I had to hear about women suing him for things, and how evil people were. I had concerns about this man's behavior toward us because of the current situation. After finally entering the room, I wanted only a hot shower, no hot water! I ran water for 10 minutes, rang the so-called front desk no answer. The son and I had to take cold showers. The deadbolt on the door did not work, hence, I placed a chair under the door handle because I did not feel comfortable. The so-called continental breakfast was not appealing, and I would not eat it, we ordered in. I have more to tell but not enough time. This place I would not recommend for anyone. A lesson learned, go with initial instincts, do more due diligence in researcing the hotel, and not soley rely on one or two reviews, and book only at hotels I am familiar with despite convenience or location. There was something creepy about the owner and my son and I heard him and the attendant in numerous arguments about who was working what shift and the owner speaking about not trusting anyone, not even his workers. This was an experience I choose not to repeat. Enter this hotel at your own risk!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Millenbooks,

I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy our hotel. We are a small hotel compared to the big chains and where we might lack in amenities, we feel we more than make up in service. We are not ADA compliant and that is stated on our website. Our hotel is styled after a boutique European hotel which many do not have elevators and as we only have 2 floors in the hotel, we feel that the inconvenience is minimal compared to the value. I'm also sorry about the trouble your friend had navigating the stairs. Our staff should have been more accommodating and rest assured I will personally be reviewing what we can do to ensure nothing happens like that again. We need to do a better job being sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities and we will do just that.

One final thing I want to point out is that while we may not have all the amenities of the big chain hotels, we offer a clean, quiet hotel with nice clean rooms, satellite tv, kitchenettes, wifi, and a staff that will stop at nothing to ensure your stay is memorable all at a price that is a fraction of the other downtown hotels. I don't know about you, but the trade off seems fair to me.

As always I am here to listen to any concerns or comments

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have been in 6 hotels in Downtown Houston, Tx. Its my second time right here in Athens Hotel and Suites, Really I like, the service staff is excellent, specialy the service from my friend John, Its not a big hotel, but has everything the necesary and very very confortable beds, very clean, free Wi-fi, A/C, laundry and Ice to drink's 24 hrs ,light breakfast (coffee, milk, orange juice, fresh fruits, etc), a small gym, surveillance interior and something important to rest all time its silence inside.

I think if I come back again to Houston, I'll booking the Athens hotel and suites

Best regards to John by the service excellent!!!

Room Tip: Front rooms Excellent view to clay St
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hamont-Achel, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I will certainly go back to this hotel.
The staff was very helpfull.
I was in this hotel for the third time. In former years the hotel was very dirty.
the new manager John Frangius did his best to improve our stay. He was cleaning the room himself and we, me and my husband, were pleased to have a cleaner room.
We were travalling from Belgium and our 11 days was great!!

Room Tip: all rooms are equal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Wodonga, Victoria , Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have travelled many times since 2004 to Houston for the International Quilt Show, have stayed at different locations each time. The Athens Hotel built in 1920 is of European style, family owned, with two levels, each room layout is different with a small kitchen, own bathroom, air-conditioning, TV, the bed is extremely comfortable and free Wi-fi. John-owner and new business manager Brian and Doug assistant manager are more than helpful to me and show a lovely personal hello each time coming back to the hotel. Yes I have a name and I am not invisible.
Sometimes you only get what you pay for and being an older style building I don't mind walking up stairs as there is no lift, nor do I mind using clean laundry -sheets and towels- that are not all brand new. Downstairs in the lobby a light breakfast is on offer to get you started for a busy day.
This is my second time staying at the Athens Hotel, Houston, with a 3 week stay here this visit.
I will definitely be rebooking to come back next year!
O, also, I am writing this report from my experience -happily-

Carolyn König -Australia

Room Tip: Room 206 was excellent, great location, but not a wheelchair friendly location stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good, the room looked clean. Any the bad, no hot water for a shower, managed to make it lukewarm. Washing machine, ice machine, vending machines all not working, carpets dirty and finally, the breakfast was put out and then left for 3 hrs, no way was i going to eat it.

Been to Athens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!