“Confirmed Room - No rooms available” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Athens Hotel Suites

You added Athens Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Athens Hotel Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1308 Clay St, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Rainbow Inn) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #349 of 468 Hotels in Houston
“Confirmed Room - No rooms available”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am a producer and had my crew staying at this hotel. The hotel had confirmed rooms were booked and emailed to that effect. Our crew showed up at the hotel after a long flight only to be told they didn't have any rooms. I can't comment on anything else about this hotel other than their reservation system is horrible. We called the hotel directly to make the reservation. If you think you have a confirmed room at this hotel you might want to make contingency plans.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I called to book 2 rooms for some traveling crew, who were going to Houston to do a TV project for the BBC. From moment one, it was clear there was a communication problem. The man who answered the phone missed the detail about 2 rooms, so he booked me 1. When I called right away to correct that he apologized, then found a 2nd and sent me 2 confirmations. When my guys arrived there was only 1 room! The excuse was that the guy was new and accidentally booked a non-available room. Apparently he cancelled that reservation, but never sent me any notice of that. Ridiculous. Find another place to stay - these people have no brains.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed here just one night to attend a Houston Astros game. The location is right in downtown, walking distance from the ball park. The room was very nice, clean and we were very pleased with it. There was a problem with the cleaning staff and our room was not ready after check in time, so they up graded our room for no additional cost. There is no elevator, but that was not an issue for us with only two floors. The breakfast was pretty non-existent, coffee and a couple muffins.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunnyside, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

They confirm your reservation, you book everything else including expensive flights and then they write you an email, (don't even have the guts to call you ) and turn you down. What decent hotel does that?

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

I'll give these folks all the credit for trying hard. I walk down the hall and hear, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." There was a huge convention in town, and I couldn't get my normal room at the Hilton, where I'm a Diamond member (didn't feel like paying $400+ a night). This place is in my company's travel website, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The front desk person was polite & nice. This is two blocks south of House of Blues, 2 blocks from Toyota Center, and is a good value for your money. Its close enough to be convenient to downtown, but its just outside. Its an older facility, that appears to have been updated in the last 5 or so years...its just tired & shows wear. It was clean, but its obviously not the Hilton.

Most of the complaints I read seem like someone was expecting a Hilton experience, without Hilton's price...but from a business traveler who would know, that sounds more like sour grapes. I'd say Athens is average, but I'll give then the extra stars for obvious effort against the odds & the value I got given my alternatives.

• Stayed May 2012
West Allis, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed here during a convention at the George Brown Center. The suite was half the cost of the other hotels near the convention center. My suite had a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, stove, microwave, sink, dish soap, paper towels, dish drainer and cabinets. The table had two full place settings of nice "china" and tableware. The Wifi was free. The bed was new and very comfortable. The suite was clean and had everything I needed and more. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Breakfast was cold items (toaster provided), just what a busy traveler needs to hold him over until lunch. Warning: there is no elevator, but the staff carried my luggage up and down the stairs. The vending machines were not operating, but they did have "out of order" signs on them. The ice machines were also not operating but the suite had a freezer and ice cube trays. The neighborhood was NOT scary. One block to the east was the Toyota Center, where the Houston Rockets played the night I arrived. One block to the north on Carolina was a the Houston Pavilion, a building with several restaurants. Three blocks to the north on Austin was the Houston Center, a building with a food court; across from there was the Phoenician, an interesting ethnic grocery and restaurant. The Convention Center was a 5-10 minute walk, however, stop lights are timed against pedestrians, not the fault of the hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a suite with a kitchen because I did not see an operable ice machine.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I stayed 5 nights to attend a conference in Houston at the GRB conference center. The room met my needs very well - full kitchen so I could self-cater easily (supermarket a short mtetro ride away). The only problem was the internet didn't work for the first 2 days but they did fix it.

Altogether a good experience. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Athens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!