“It's cheap, but you won't have a peace of mind...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Athens Hotel Suites

You added Athens Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Athens Hotel Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1308 Clay St, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Rainbow Inn) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #349 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Boston
“It's cheap, but you won't have a peace of mind...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I've read mixed reviews about this hotel, negative being mostly about the reservation process. I thought making reservations 7 months in advance will be good enough to avoid any problems. After numerous phone calls and emails back and forth (yes, online system didn't work), I had my reservations. I called the hotel again to confirm and was assured that I'm all set. Three months later (3!!!) I received an email: "sorry, due to a computer problem we have overbooked and you don't have a reservation anymore" That's it. I can understand a computer problem and occasional overbooking issues, but I can't understand why it took them 3 months to communicate this. So, fellow traveler, I'm sure your stay will be decent enough, if you are lucky to get to the hotel and have your reserved room waiting for you. I would not risk it. It's cheap, but peace of mind worth something too and you won't have it if you deal with Athens Hotel and Suites. I wish I could hear from the hotel management: I sent them an email asking to help with making alternative reservations (which they suggested in their cancellation email), but they never acknowledged it.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
We apologize for the inconvenience and reportedly monetary loss from the problems with this booking. We have offerred her complimentary two free nights at our hotel. Again we apologize.
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed at the Athens Hotel recently when my wife was there for the Sweet Adelines Competition. The hotel was close to the Toyota Centre were the competition was taking place. We found our suite to be clean and confortable, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Price of suite included breakfast. There was a good variety of food to suit everyone's taste. There was some problems with the magnetic room keys, as ours stopped working several times and had to be refreshed, There was a free complementry computer in the loby, which we found came in very handy. I enjoyed my stay there, and would not hesitate to stay there again, and would also recommend this hotel to any of my friends travelling to Houston.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Very competitively priced hotel near Houston's convention center (a walk in fact). Nearby is the House of Blues and a few decent places to eat and shopping. Not a luxury option, though clean and comfortable. My room had a small kitchen area (medium-sized fridge, sink, countertop and microwave and coffee making equipment).

I would certainly rank it as a good budget option for convention center attendees.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Much less expensive than other places in the area.
Nice short walk to House of Blues.
Kitchen seemed recently refreshed (appliances etc).
We liked having a ceiling fan.
If you're disabled, be aware that there's no elevator.
All the drawers were full of previous guests' trash and personal effects.
Surprise items were left planted around the room, showing further the lack of cleaning (bottle cap in bed, dime under the knife in the place setting on the table, etc).
Shower curtain was filthy.
Beds' comforters were full of lint, as if they had been put on the floor. Deduced by the fact that the floor was covered in the same kind of lint (ie not vacuumed).
Couldn't open the door because the bed was blocking it. And the bed couldn't be moved enough to allow it clearance. It made a "fun" game to get in the door with luggage.
We didn't ask for a new room. In our experience, it wouldn't help. Plus we had to run to get to our concert.
Discovered half way through our stay that the windows that open directly onto a patio where people smoke were not locked. Not secure at all!
Room numbers are written on the key cards. Not secure.
Parking lot next door wouldn't let us get a permit past 5am (even near midnight), requiring us to get up 4:30am to print a new parking permit.
Couldn't print a receipt at the front desk. How do I know how much was charged?
Don't burn yourself! The faucets in the kitchen and bath are reversed for hot and cold as compared to the typical USA configuration, and are not labeled.
Desk was not manned at all times.
People at front desk were not very helpful with questions and were very poor communicators (whispering and looking away rather than directly at us).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Our number one priority is to keep the hotel very clean and safe for our customers so they will come back to visit. Our air conditioners cool very well and can be adusted for individual comfort.
All the doors open to the rooms. The printer simply ran out of toner.The temperature of the hot water will not burn anyone.The lines of communication are kept open to accommodate the guests to the best of our ability.A relief housekeeper who couldn't speak English work that day.The housekeeping supervisor was off sick the day the guest stayed.If we would have known the room was nevercleaned, we would have put the guest in another room.We apologize for the unfortunate experience.Assistant Manager
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

This is a small hotel located really close to the restaurant and shopping area. I went to Houston for an academic residency, and the service was great. Since it is a small place, the hotel personnel was able to distinguish who was a guest and who wasn't. That gave me some comfort and made me feel a little more secure. The room was always neat, bed sheets were clean and got fresh towels everyday. I received a great service for half the price compared to any other hotel around. If I ever return to Houston, I will definitively stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Modena, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Athens Hotel Suites very much: very neat and perfectly clean rooms, absolutely perfect location, very friendly, helpful and lovely stuff, good breakfasts, I couldn't ask for more! Highly recomended, I'm sure going to go back there next time I'm in Houston.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Baton Rouge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had booked the Athens Hotel more than 7 months prior to our May 2011 travel. However, they did not honor our reservation and claimed that we had been notified that there were no room. I had a "guaranteed reservation" for that time period, just no room. It reminds me of the old Jerry Seinfeld skit, where you can take the reservation, you just cannot hold it.
Very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, May 14, 2011
In the review "did not honor reservation": When someone requests a reservation on line for , that is what it is a request.An email goes out saying this is a confirmed reservation request indicating the request went through to us. When we log on to the onliine reservation requests, we check the dates on our grid for availability.When we have the dates available, we then send out an email with a 4-digit confirmation number to confirm the reservation. If we do not have the dates available, we send an email stating that we do not have availability. Unfortunately emails do not always get to their destination when sent. For that we cannot be responsible.-- Front desk manager

Been to Athens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!