“A bit aged” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Greenway Plaza East, Houston, TX 77046 (Formerly Renaissance Houston Hotel Greenway Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Renovated in July 2014!
Ranked #108 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Oconomowoc, WI
“A bit aged”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Typical high rise downtown hotel. Everything is a charge:parking, internet, no continental breakfast or coffee in the lobby. Rooms were ok but the property is showing it's age. Seating outside had cushions that no one moved during any rain so they were wet every time I attempted to sit on them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We are looking forward to a multi-million dollar renovation that will begin this year (including the updating of our outdoor furniture). Hope to see you back soon.

MarkY-Guest Service Champion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Astoria, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have just stayed at this property on business in Houston.

This property until recently was a Renaissance property. It seems that the hotel is still working out the kinks from the transition.

Being a HHonors Gold member, I was "upgraded" to the "executive level". Upon looking at the elevator at the hotel, the executive levels were floors 17-19. I was on level 12. The room was very small but had a good view. This room would be used as an add-on bedroom when converting the room next to it to a suite. The room was extremely small, and had a Murphy Bed in the wall that the bed was pushed up against. (don't really understand this.)

Generally in Doubbletree and other Hilton properties, the housekeeping has at least 4 towels in the room. This room had 2 bath towels, 1 wash cloth and 2 hand towels. It seemed that housekeeping was holding back on towel amenities. I generally do not have my room serviced daily (to conserve resources) but it was necessary here as I needed new towels.

There is indeed a Starbucks on property. The Starbucks opens quite late for my taste (After 7am) and does not accept Starbucks rewards or app purchases.

When we used the complimentary breakfast buffet coupon, the blueberries in the fruit salad had mold on them. This obviously contaminated the entire salad. The food service team needs to be mindful of fruit spoilages, and this prevented me from eating at the hotel again.

Being that Houston is such a big city, there are many other properties (even Doubletree properties) that are much better. I chose this property due to how close it was to where I was working. I will not do so again.

I arrived quite late from the airport, and the front desk staff (2 gentlemen) were passive and off putting to my needs. All I needed was to have a second key made.

The parking situation here is quite confusing. There is a ticket for parking, but no cashier ready to redeem. The arm blocking the parking lot is always in the up position for the duration of my trip. On my honor, I told the staff that I was parking there, and they charged me. If I would have not said anything, it would have been very easy to park there without paying.

If for any reason, you are coming to Houston to visit the really large church there on the Greenway, this is an ideal place to stay as you can walk through the shared parking garage to the building. My room on the "Executive Level" was quite loud with children and families around.

Many other reviewers speak about having to pay for internet. This is quite common at hotels. The fee here is comparable. (Disclosure: as a HHonors Gold Member, I have complimentary wifi access)

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the end rooms that can be converted into suites. These are terribly small.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. Although our much anticipated renovation will address some concerns, we continue to focus on the service standards that will set us apart from our competitors. We hope you give us another try should your travels bring you back to Houston.

MarkY-Guest Service Champion
Austin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great staff. I enjoyed staying here. The hotel was very clean. The room was nice and clean. The tv was good. I did not like that we had to pay an internet fee. The staff was very helpful. Everything was in great working order.

Nashville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was on a business trip working with Lakewood Church. Not only was the convenience to the church a major selling point (we just walked through the parking garage to get there), but I was also very pleased with the overall hotel quality. The room was spacious and comfortable, there is a Starbucks in the lobby, and the staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Honestly, maybe I'm not the best person to talk to about Doubletree's, since I seem to get skunked every single time I go to one. This was no exception to the rule. First, the good--the rooms themselves and common areas are reasonably well maintained and relatively quiet. The room service food was sub par and front desk, however, were entirely unhelpful. They even screwed up my freaking online receipt to the point where it's been impossible to recover for my expense report. Calls have otherwise been met with cold hostility.

AVOID AVOID AVOID. Terrible deal for the money.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Patti P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dan K,
Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us. I am sorry to hear that it was not a positive stay. I apologize that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you with your receipt.. I hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll give us another chance to make a better impression.

Best regards,
Patti Patenaude
713-850-2300
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was inexpensive but that was one of the few good things I have to say about my stay. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The food was actually pretty good. We had to request that they change the sheets twice as they forgot to put a fitted sheet on the bed both times. Not to mention the duvet had no sheet either and they looked scraggly/dirty. The house-keeping was very helpful and they were quick to fix things. It's just sad that we had to request more than once for clean/proper bedding. Our sink all of a sudden wasn't draining but luckily this was fixed quickly as well. Over all for the price it's not bad. They could definitely have more helpful staff running the front desk and update the overall look of the hotel. Oh yeah, one of the escalators wasn't working either.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location of this hotel is very convenient for my business needs as well as convenient to various eating establishments. The hotel is mostly updated and roooms are large and very nice. The area is a little high on price but the location allows me to forego a rental car.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza? Share your experiences!