“HHONORS members beware, check your bill” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Greenway Plaza East, Houston, TX 77046 (Formerly Renaissance Houston Hotel Greenway Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #125 of 451 hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“HHONORS members beware, check your bill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Rooms are acceptable, staff is hit-or-miss dis-interested, billing mistakes seem to be the norm.

1) My original reservation was for a King Executive Floor room (floors 17-19). I was downgraded to a regular double-queen on non-executive floor 15, and on checkout I was charged the higher rate for the executive floor room and had to argue with the front desk for more than 5 minutes to adjust to the correct rate.

2) I was charged for internet not once, but twice?? for my one night stay. As a diamond member there should have been zero charges for the internet, which required more interaction with a disinterested front desk.

3) With my downgraded room, I was not provided access to the executive lounge (standard diamond amenity) until I again pointed out the mistake to the front desk and had my room keys updated.

So if you are an HHonors member gold or above, double-check your bill and get ready to insist on any amenities you might expect to be standard. The dis-interested staff seem to be isolated to the front desk (and its not all of them), unfortunately with the high problem rate there's a good chance you will have to interact with them. House cleaning and executive lounge staff were quite nice.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, avoid low numbered rooms as they are closer to HWY 59. E.g. 1501 is near...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had several concerns during my stay here at the newly named DoubleTree hotel. I hope you find this helpful.

There are 2 parking options. Valet is $18 overnight, and self parking is $14. Both have "in and out" privileges, but it was not convenient yet at the time to do self parking. The hotel had recently converted from Renaissance to DoubleTree and the electronic pay station to exit the garage had not yet been updated. The receipt still stated Renaissance which may be an issue for business travelers writing expense reports. The option to use guest room keys to charge parking directly to the room was not operational and I found myself just pulling new tickets to get in and out of the parking lot. This was explained to me at check in, but I was disappointed that the hotel had not been able to fix their system nor had a better solution to the issue since changing hotel brands.

The room I had was very clean and had a great view of the Greenway plaza. I was very grateful that there were many lamps in the room that provided good lighting. Each mirror and surface was very clean and I was impressed. Linens were still new and very luxurious so a definite plus to staying here. The mattress was not that comfortable and I woke up with body aches in the morning. The TV and cable system is average at best. I'm not sure how good the wireless internet service is because it cost $12.95.

At the time I was at the hotel, the phone system was still being upgraded to be DoubleTree standards. The operator Christian was a doll when assisting me with each of my questions and requests.

Room service menu was good. Check your receipt to make sure the prices on the menu are what you are getting charged for. My receipt was charged incorrectly and during checkout was given a hard time correcting the bill. Don't waste your money on the wedge salad, even if it sounds tasty. It was really disappointing.

Lastly, I may have extremely high standards for customer service, but the front office agents at the time during my stay were unfriendly, unhelpful, and unwelcoming. This is a nice hotel for the quality of the room but I am more picky about how hotel associates treat guests. I would strongly recommend to the hotel management that they work on customer service and sensitivity training, as well as teaching the value of knowing English to all levels of employees as this impacts guest satisfaction and your overall hotel "SALT" scores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
McKinney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel lacks finishing touches! Staff that I came in contact with were very nice and all helpful, especially the driver of the free shuttle that goes to the Galleria mall.
Around the pool needs some TLC , no plants or shrubs. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, but if you are needing an early breakfast,on the run it doesn't open to 7am! The room was neat and tidy but the ceiling was very low, there was a walk in closet which was nice but the bathroom was tiny!
The hotel is difficult to access from the highway as the entrance is not well signposted, if you want to attend Joel Olsteens church this is the pace to stay.

Room Tip: Do not take a room beside the elevator, you hear the noise all night!
Oxford,MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel recently renovated. Yes it is an older building but they have done a great job making it look fresh! Rooms are plenty big enough; bathrooms are very nice. Starbucks on premise is a huge perk! Gift shop has plenty of stuff if you are in need. The hotel has a great bar right next to the lobby; even on a wednesday night there was plenty of socialization going on. Great location --minus the mega church across the street - most of the garages around there are designated for the church. Beyond that the staff was excellent; even offered free wifi in the room. Next time I am in Houston I'll be sure to head over there.

Very Nice. Pleased and rested.

Room Tip: High Floors are nice; though the lower floors get the Lobbys free wifi!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Typical Marriott with comfortable, large rooms. Large, outdoor heated pool and modern fitness center. But it is typical of the 1970-80's where hotels were built in office parks that become dead at night. Not a single restaurant within walking distance. There are other Houston Marriott's which are in friendlier locations. Other reviewers have discussed the fees - be cautious. Upon check-in, we were told we qualified for free Internet, but the charge appeared on our bill. I argued with the snippy clerk, who finally relented and removed the fee from our bill. Use the self park option - you will have to maneuver the parking garage maze but worth the savings.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is average in services, comfort and convenience.. Our family of three was on the 12th floor for a big tournament over the weekend. My first step was to figure out what restaurants were in the area, as it was close to dinner after a long drive. There wasn't a guide book or listing of area info in the room so I called to the desk to find out if they could bring one up, It never showed up. My husband went down to the front desk and got a list easily enough. We ordered locally and had it delivered as the hotel is not in walking distance to anything other than fast food. The beds were adequate, the pillows however were terrible, square and bulky or soft and mushy, not a full size pillow to be found. The next morning we had to leave by 6:30 am, there is a Starbucks on the location but it opens @ 7:00 as does any room service, so we were out of luck. That night after a long day, all I wanted was a hot shower and to go to bed. The water was hot alright, but the water pressure was so low, I felt like I couldn't rinse my hair or get all the soap off. Very unsatisfying shower. We settled in to check out a movie on TV only to find the whole TV viewing to be a true hassle because of the layout for options on the screen. You can't just browse channels, you have to go back each time to a main menu, scroll through all the options and pick a channel, every time you want to go to another channel. Want to watch a movie, well that will cost you extra, want to use the internet? Well that will cost you $12.95 a day. Everything that is normally a convenience of staying at a hotel was tacked on as an extra for this one. We ended up using my Samsung Galaxy 3 cell phone and watching a movie on Netflix. The next morning our wake up call for 5:45, came @ 5:30am, just saying, every minute counts that early in the morning. We did enjoy the pool later that afternoon, a nice sized, heated pool that was the most relaxing part of our hotel stay. We did not visit the bar on site, or the weight room as we were really in and out most of our two night three day visit. We loved Houston and after hanging out downtown at the Discovery Green Park right across from the Convention Center, we swore the next time we visit, to stay right downtown and enjoy all that Houston has to offer within walking distance. A city we will definitely be back to visit again, just not at the Renaissance Houston Hotel

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife, son and I stayed here on points over the weekend for a quick getaway inside the loop of Houston. They had a great breakfast buffet, (free for platinum guests). Workout room was top-notch! They also have a Starbucks and bar on the premises. The valet parking was solid and only four bucks more than regular parking, (not counting tip). Sleep quality was pretty good, except the doors in other rooms shut very loud and it tends to carry through out the rooms. Everyone was very nice, service and amenities seemed top notch.

Room Tip: I'd go for the valet parking. Also, Starbucks seemed to close early so get your coffee fix in e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza? Share your experiences!