“Horrible, apathetic management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9041 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77063 (Formerly Quality Inn & Suites Galleria/Westchase)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #385 of 451 hotels in Houston
Texas
“Horrible, apathetic management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

It was my first Houston hotel visit. I was visiting my office in Houston, and this hotel was one of the closest. One of my employees dropped me off, and before I left the car, he looked at me after seeing the front of the hotel and said, "Are you sure you'll be OK?" It only got worse from there. The hotel management took about 30 minutes before they even talked to me. No acknowledgement that I was even in the lobby. They finally checked me in. The hotel room was old, but seemed adequate, although it smelled a bit musty. The mattress was hard, but not too hard. The plumbing fixtures seemed like someone had tried to repair them and didn't finish. But I was so tired, I stayed. The next morning I went to work out, and that's when it got interesting. The "Fitness Room" had no air conditioning, a broken clock, and virtually all of their equipment was broken and/or rusted. Two stationery bikes. One wouldn't adjust, and the other one had one rusty screw that had to be forced into the seat stem to get the seat to stay put. It didn't work. The treadmill didn't work. I was booked for two nights. I left after the first night and complained to Quality Inn corporate. They contacted the owners of this franchise hotel, who called me only to offer to let me stay again at a reduced rate. No Thanks! I went to the Courtland Marriott down Westheimer, and slept much better. This is no knock on the Comfort Chain in general. My Houston mainstay hotel was the Comfort Inn/Suites off Westheimer/Wilcrest. Very adequate. But I would avoid this Quality Inn like the plague.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. John's, NL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Good rate ($89) during OTC '08 while other area hotels were $200 plus. Free parking & continental breakfast. There is a pool, while it looked clean, I didn't test it out! This hotel is ok for an overnight stay, but if you are staying more than a couple of days I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. I checked in and the "owner" complained that Expedia are taking 30% off his profit and that he should block all Expedia bookings. Then I got to the room where NO towels were in the room, the bed had cigarette burns, the ceiling had mould stains, furniture just had stains everywhere and I would hate to guess what type of stains they where. The cleaning staff were total useless. How this type of hotel can stay in business is beyond my comprehension. I paid for the full week and stayed one night. I stayed with friends 50 mins away from Houston due to no availability in Houston. While this was inconvenient it was better than staying in a fully paid shanty that should have been condemned years ago. Pathetic and shame on Expedia for giving this two stars. I have provided pictures. Don't waste your money here. The only reason why I even tried this hotel was because ALL Houston hotels were packed.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — That I actually went ahead and stayed one night
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

I stayed here because price was less than other hotels in the area and I got airline credits.

It is what it is. Older and has maintenance issues but found my room was clean. The first night the sheets were a little rough but they were changed to decent ones the next night. Surprised to find the towels were real soft, go figure.

I wouldn't stay here for the breakfast but it is edible. Waffles, cereal, toast, pastries with coffee and juice.

The best benefit was location. CVS, Office Max, Target, Starbucks and FedEx/Kinkos are all real close. There is a decent sushi/Japanese restaurant down the street (Kaneyama Japanese Restaurant; 9527 Westheimer Rd).

So if you are traveling for work on a budget, you could do worse.

• Liked — Budget friendly
  • Disliked — Older
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DFW
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

This place is located behind a strip center and it’s very old and very nasty. The tub was dirty, the fixtures were all corroded, the walls had been re-plastered time and time again, the electrical fixtures were falling off, the lights didn't work until I figured out that the GFCI plug was tripped, it looks dated and dirty. The ice had melted from the freezer in the fridge and left molded water in the bottom and smelled like mildew. The legs on the headboard on the bed was broken, there was urine on the toilet, etc. I went back to the front desk within 10-15 minutes and tried to be nice and not offend the manager, but he was a total jerk. He refused to refund money unless the room was re-rented. I called the corporate number and the first person was less then helpful. All I wanted was to transfer the reservation to another hotel in the chain that was clean and where I would feel safe. Since I was getting charged, I decided to go back and get the keys and go take pictures. While I was driving back around, the hotel manager on duty, beat me to the room and locked me out. I went back to the front desk with their corporate office supervisor on the phone and the manager on duty refused to allow me to take pictures. The corporate supervisor over heard on the cell phone how this guy was treating me and agreed that I would not be charged. The manager on duty demanded that I give him MY cell phone so he could speak to their corporate supervisor. This guy went so far as to suggest that my wife of over 20 years, to have been a call girl and we used the room for 15 minutes, and then wanted the money back. I will be writing the hotel chain corporate office and demanding a letter of apology. Keep in mind that this was done IN FRONT of other hotel guests. I would never consider staying at this dive. Since I didn't want to go to jail over this guy for teaching him a lesson on manners for his total lack of respect for myself or more importantly, my wife, the only recourse I have is to post my experience. I was able to take one picture of the front of the hotel and have posted it. The manager on duty was way out of line, rude, insulting and what you would expect I guess from a dump like this. When I booked this, the rate was 113 with a AAA discount, not including tax and fees.

• Liked — Nothing good whatsoever. It's all bad news.
  • Disliked — Condition of property and rude insulting staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Nice hotel located just off of Westheimer. Very convenient to shopping and restaurants. Staff was helpful. Room was spacious (king bed suite). Would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Liked — location, quiet, clean
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!