“Room and restaurant were good...front-desk staff seem unorganized” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #71 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Vancouver, WA
“Room and restaurant were good...front-desk staff seem unorganized”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here for one night prior to heading to the port of Houston for a cruise. The room was decent and we had a good night's sleep. We had breakfast the next morning at the on-site restaurant, which was pretty good.

The disappointing part for me was the way some items were handled by the front-desk staff. I experienced this before, during, and after my stay. When I called from the airport to catch the shuttle to the hotel, I was asked which terminal I was in. Not being familiar with IAH airport I didn't know which one it was. The lady was fairly short with me and I told her my airline, but that didn't appease her. Since each major airline falls under one terminal, and probably 90% of their business is from IAH, it seems reasonable to me the hotel staff should know this.

Check in went okay, though there was some confusion as we had booked two rooms. I thought the billing had been straightened out, but there was more confusion the next morning checking out, which fortunately got quickly resolved. I had also been expecting a package to be delivered to the hotel and I was told it hadn't arrived when checking out. I then asked when it did arrive to please return it to sender. Well, I found out after getting home the package actually did arrive 30 mins before I checked out. Getting it sent back took two weeks and several phone calls. The staff just seemed disorganized. I can't see that I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guests; Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you found the room and restaurant to be very good. At the same time we wish to apologize for any short-coming with our front desk interactions. We're always looking to improve where ever it is needed and your comments will be discussed as a learning opportunity. We wish you smooth travels in your future and hope that you will again consider visiting with us. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sweetgrass, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Twice I have stayed at the HI on JFK Blvd (October 2013 and March 2014) because I needed a place close to the airport to catch a few hours of sleep, when I knew I'd be arriving late and leaving again very early.

Twice I have had to wait more than 45 minutes to be picked up from the airport terminal. Both instances were after 11 pm and before 1 am, both times I called the hotel directly to ask to be picked up by the shuttle, and both times I had to be back at the airport before 7 am to catch a morning flight.

Both times I was frustrated at missing out on some extra (but much needed) sleep because I had to wait so long for the shuttle. Particularly since I was paying nearly $100 a night per room, and would miss out on the free continental breakfast and coffee in the lobby (there are no coffee makers in the rooms).

The hotel also doesn't offer bagged breakfasts to take on the go, like a lot of other hotels do for guests that have to catch early morning flights (although I did find it interesting this last stay that when I asked at check-in about bagged breakfast I was told it was not a service that was offered, but in the lobby the next morning while I was waiting on the shuttle back to airport a group of about 20 or 30 men that were clearly traveling together were given bagged breakfasts).

I was also disappointed that I didn't get a little welcome/thank you baggie of goodies for being a loyal customer, like other IH hotels offer.

Getting a shuttle back to the airport in the morning is also a little stressful because the shuttle doesn't start to run until 4:30 am and there always seem to be a lot of people that need transportation. Luckily on this past visit, the large group of guys that were traveling together got their own bus for transportation. Otherwise I likely would have missed my flight altogether.

Otherwise, I like this hotel. The desk staff is professional and accommodating. The rooms are clean and quiet. But if you just need a place to lay your head down for less-than-a-full-night's sleep between flights, this probably isn't a good bet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest: thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am uncertain why we are having shuttle difficulty late night on Saturday night, but I assure you we will attend to this issue and get it improved. In the meantime, no one should ever wait more than 20 minutes. Please take a taxi and the hotel will re-imburse the fare, no question! We do not ever want to cause you discomfort, or a short night of sleep.
We were glad to see your very nice comments about the staff friendliness and the room comfort. Regard the coffee maker, they are located in the cabinet which is supposed to be labled. This was a recent change due to feedback from many customers that wanted us to provide more room on the counter-top. As for the welcome amenity bag, this is an option now for our IHG members, who can now choose to take bonus points instead, if preferred, and is a new standard by the Brand that we must follow.
We value your business and we hope we can earn another opportunity ot be your host on your next excursion through Houston. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Galveston Island, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I work offshore and got stuck in Houston due to some major weather fluctuations. Here's my humble take on the Holiday Inn at IAH:

Staff- Pretty good overall. Just about every hotel employee I saw walking down the hall at least smiled and said "hello" to me. A few of the restaurant servers were rather sluggish/inattentive, but there was only one bartender in particular that was just downright grumpy during the entire time I was here. The rest of the restaurant staff was great. The front desk staff was fantastic, and Angela in particular was absolutely great. She laughed and made jokes with me with me. She was a very kind and friendly person.

Room- Somewhat average. I was in a two-double-bed room. I've stayed in a LOT of La Quinta and Fairfield Inns. Overall I'd say some of these other rooms I've stayed in were nicer than this Holiday Inn room. The chairs and upholstery were older looking but the furniture was very modern. The mini fridge was very mini, and was simply sitting on the floor with a microwave on top of it. The coffee maker and ice bucket were hidden in a cabinet and I didn't actually find them until my second day here. The beds were moderately comfy. Staying in as many mid-end hotels as I have though I feel like it was a little above average and you're not gonna get an AWESOME bed unless you stay in a high end resort. The bathroom was nice. Large shower, large toilet and a decent amount of counter space. Of course, with my job I'm usually limited to 33 lbs for traveling, so I didn't have a whole lot to put on the counter top.

Restaurant- The hotel restaurant known as Good Eats Grill was average at best with a few exceptions. Four dollars for a domestic draft or bottle and almost every entree that wasn't a salad or sandwich/burger was at least $12. I'm no food critic, but here's my recommendations:

Do not order:
Ribs- overpriced and overcooked. Great flavor, but about as crispy as bacon.
Muschroom-Swiss chicken- charred, dry, too much cheese, canned mushrooms.
Salmon- overcooked, tiny portion.

DO order:
Buffalo bites- another exception to the chicken dishes. I had these three times and they were always delicious. GREAT flavorful, spicy-but-not-too-spicy sauce. They went perfect with a little ranch and a cold beer. And you get a whole plate full of them!
Pork Chops- tender and flavorful flame grilled chops, but a bit pricy.
Burger- flame grilled, juicy, big and average priced. Very yummy.
Broccoli rice casserole- tender rice, not too much broccoli, and cheesy. Just, mmm.
Baked potato- Excellent. Large, cooked to perfection and served with plenty of butter, cheese and bacon (I'm not a huge sour cream or chives fan, but they come standard).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest; Thank you for finding us and for all your feedback. We're glad to know that your overall review and comments are very favorable. We know our staff also appreciates feedback and we will thank the staff for the good work and also tighten up on the areas you noted for improvement. We hope your future travels will again bring you through Houston and that we can once again be your host. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked 6 rooms with Hotwire for a single night stay on Feb 16, 2014 at the end of our cruise. We arrived at the hotel before 11am and were able to check into 2 of our 6 rooms. Our room was big and we didn't hear any noise from the hallways. Angela at the front desk went above her job requirement and found a plate of food for my 83 year old mother in law, who was hungry. (restaurant had closed and wasn't reopening for an hour). The hotel offers free scheduled shuttle service to DeerBrook mall. We took a cab to the mall for $23 and took the shuttle back to the hotel in the afternoon. I wanted to reserve our places on the shuttle to the airport for the morning but was told no reservation was needed. They have more than one shuttle van and can accommodate all guests who want to be on the shuttle. The restaurant, Good Eats, that is in the hotel has amazing food! The only problem that happened was when the last of our group tried to check into their room, the desk clerk said we only had 5 rooms booked and that Hotwire had made an error and we had to contact Hotwire. We had previously phoned the hotel 2 weeks prior to make sure all 6 rooms had the correct bed configuration. Angela wasn't at the desk and this gentleman insisted we only had 5 rooms, even though Angela knew it was 6 rooms earlier today. Finally he did go to the back and talk to someone and realized the error and gave us the 6th room. The hotel also gave the couple a credit for $30 for the restaurant in apology for their error. Well done!

Room Tip: All 6 of our rooms were excellent!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guests; we are very glad that could stay with us in Houston and we really appreciate the extra time you took to share all your positive feedback. We have a good staff here and Angela is certainly among our best. I know she will appreciate hearing that she made a difference for you. Thank you also for mentioning the restaurant. We receive a lot of compliments about the service and food and we're glad you were able to experience and enjoy. We hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again and we wish you all very smooh travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

On Saturday night February 15th, I returned my car to the IAH Car Rental facility at 10:47 PM and took the shuttle bus back to the airport. Upon arriving back at the airport I called the hotel around 11:00 PM to request a shuttle pickup at Terminal A.

Three phone calls and an hour and a half later, the shuttle finally arrived at 12:30 AM! This was after initially being told it would be there in 10 minutes, then during my second phone call just 15 to 20 minutes. I don't know the peak times for shuttle service between the airport and hotel but I'm confident that 11:00 PM is not their busiest time.

Upon returning to the hotel, I spoke w/ a polite associate named Cheriti (I believe) and explained that I thought it was unacceptable to wait 90 minutes for a shuttle. She apologized by saying there was a shift change at midnight and the information may not have been communicated. She then asked what she could do to make up for the delay. After taking my complaint and information, she said the information would be given to her manager and she would be requesting that airline miles would be credited to my account for the inconvenience.

Aside from the shuttle service, the location is good and the sleep quality was very good. Just be wary of the timeliness of the shuttle service, especially if you are rushed to make a flight.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest: Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us in Houston. I' hope you'll accept my apology for the shuttle delay. I'm glad the front desk lady was able to assist you. Our policy has always been clear, our Guests should not have to wait more than 20 minutes to get picked up and we'll gladly reimburse a taxi fare from the airport, no questions, if we can't do that, While the shuttle service promptly delivers hundreds of Guests each week, occassionally the service can get backed up- when that happens we want to make it right. We will review this again with the staff and insure this is being communicated. We appreciate your business and we hope that the concern with this portion of your trip will not dissuade you from choosing to stay with us again. Respectfully, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were scheduled to stay at the Hotel one night then take our flight towards home. Our plane was cancelled two days. When inquiring if we could extend our stay, Ruby told us the hotel was full, but managed to rearrange things and we were able to stay in the same room for our second night. The staff was informative on what to do with our day in Houston. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and back from a local Mall. Everyone at the hotel gave us great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests; thank you for taking time to share your very nice compliments! The staff, and certainly Ruby, understand that Guests with airline disruptions often need some extra help from us. I'm glad the they came through for you. We hope you can visit us again in Houston and get to see more of what this area has to offer. We appreciate your business and wish you smooth travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Eulenbis, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I recently flew into Houston from Frankfurt, Germany, and stayed at the Holiday Inn close to the airport. I was extremely pleased with all facets of the lodging. The shuttle from the airport was quick to arrive; the staff at the hotel were every one very polite, courteous, helpful, and friendly; the room was clean, comfortable, and well-appointed, and had plenty of outlets for all electrical equipment; the wifi was fast and optimal. The adjacent restaurant was also superior in every way; pleasant decor and ambience, wonderfully helpful, friendly, and congenial staff members, and the food was great, both for dinner and also for the exceptional breakfast. Be sure and get one of the custom-made omelets! A special commendation and Thank You go out to Ruby at the front desk, whose cheerful greeting, great sense of humor, tremendous competence and expertise, and exceedingly helpful manner were all very much appreciated. She truly went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me in many aspects, always with an easy going manner and a bright smile. Thank you Ruby, and thanks to the entire staff for a very pleasant and enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The king bed non-smoking rooms are very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest; Thank you so much for the compliments on your stay! The staff really enjoyed hearing your feedback. The staff tries very hard, as you could tell, to take great care of all their Guests. We also appreciated hearing about the quick shuttle, the comfortable bed, and the great breakfast. We really appreciate your business and we hope that you have only smooth travels in your future and can someday stay with us again when in Houston. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Been to Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport? Share your experiences!