“Week long stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Galveston Island, Texas
“Week long stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I work offshore and got stuck in Houston due to some major weather fluctuations. Here's my humble take on the Holiday Inn at IAH:

Staff- Pretty good overall. Just about every hotel employee I saw walking down the hall at least smiled and said "hello" to me. A few of the restaurant servers were rather sluggish/inattentive, but there was only one bartender in particular that was just downright grumpy during the entire time I was here. The rest of the restaurant staff was great. The front desk staff was fantastic, and Angela in particular was absolutely great. She laughed and made jokes with me with me. She was a very kind and friendly person.

Room- Somewhat average. I was in a two-double-bed room. I've stayed in a LOT of La Quinta and Fairfield Inns. Overall I'd say some of these other rooms I've stayed in were nicer than this Holiday Inn room. The chairs and upholstery were older looking but the furniture was very modern. The mini fridge was very mini, and was simply sitting on the floor with a microwave on top of it. The coffee maker and ice bucket were hidden in a cabinet and I didn't actually find them until my second day here. The beds were moderately comfy. Staying in as many mid-end hotels as I have though I feel like it was a little above average and you're not gonna get an AWESOME bed unless you stay in a high end resort. The bathroom was nice. Large shower, large toilet and a decent amount of counter space. Of course, with my job I'm usually limited to 33 lbs for traveling, so I didn't have a whole lot to put on the counter top.

Restaurant- The hotel restaurant known as Good Eats Grill was average at best with a few exceptions. Four dollars for a domestic draft or bottle and almost every entree that wasn't a salad or sandwich/burger was at least $12. I'm no food critic, but here's my recommendations:

Do not order:
Ribs- overpriced and overcooked. Great flavor, but about as crispy as bacon.
Muschroom-Swiss chicken- charred, dry, too much cheese, canned mushrooms.
Salmon- overcooked, tiny portion.

DO order:
Buffalo bites- another exception to the chicken dishes. I had these three times and they were always delicious. GREAT flavorful, spicy-but-not-too-spicy sauce. They went perfect with a little ranch and a cold beer. And you get a whole plate full of them!
Pork Chops- tender and flavorful flame grilled chops, but a bit pricy.
Burger- flame grilled, juicy, big and average priced. Very yummy.
Broccoli rice casserole- tender rice, not too much broccoli, and cheesy. Just, mmm.
Baked potato- Excellent. Large, cooked to perfection and served with plenty of butter, cheese and bacon (I'm not a huge sour cream or chives fan, but they come standard).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest; Thank you for finding us and for all your feedback. We're glad to know that your overall review and comments are very favorable. We know our staff also appreciates feedback and we will thank the staff for the good work and also tighten up on the areas you noted for improvement. We hope your future travels will again bring you through Houston and that we can once again be your host. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked 6 rooms with Hotwire for a single night stay on Feb 16, 2014 at the end of our cruise. We arrived at the hotel before 11am and were able to check into 2 of our 6 rooms. Our room was big and we didn't hear any noise from the hallways. Angela at the front desk went above her job requirement and found a plate of food for my 83 year old mother in law, who was hungry. (restaurant had closed and wasn't reopening for an hour). The hotel offers free scheduled shuttle service to DeerBrook mall. We took a cab to the mall for $23 and took the shuttle back to the hotel in the afternoon. I wanted to reserve our places on the shuttle to the airport for the morning but was told no reservation was needed. They have more than one shuttle van and can accommodate all guests who want to be on the shuttle. The restaurant, Good Eats, that is in the hotel has amazing food! The only problem that happened was when the last of our group tried to check into their room, the desk clerk said we only had 5 rooms booked and that Hotwire had made an error and we had to contact Hotwire. We had previously phoned the hotel 2 weeks prior to make sure all 6 rooms had the correct bed configuration. Angela wasn't at the desk and this gentleman insisted we only had 5 rooms, even though Angela knew it was 6 rooms earlier today. Finally he did go to the back and talk to someone and realized the error and gave us the 6th room. The hotel also gave the couple a credit for $30 for the restaurant in apology for their error. Well done!

Room Tip: All 6 of our rooms were excellent!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guests; we are very glad that could stay with us in Houston and we really appreciate the extra time you took to share all your positive feedback. We have a good staff here and Angela is certainly among our best. I know she will appreciate hearing that she made a difference for you. Thank you also for mentioning the restaurant. We receive a lot of compliments about the service and food and we're glad you were able to experience and enjoy. We hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again and we wish you all very smooh travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

On Saturday night February 15th, I returned my car to the IAH Car Rental facility at 10:47 PM and took the shuttle bus back to the airport. Upon arriving back at the airport I called the hotel around 11:00 PM to request a shuttle pickup at Terminal A.

Three phone calls and an hour and a half later, the shuttle finally arrived at 12:30 AM! This was after initially being told it would be there in 10 minutes, then during my second phone call just 15 to 20 minutes. I don't know the peak times for shuttle service between the airport and hotel but I'm confident that 11:00 PM is not their busiest time.

Upon returning to the hotel, I spoke w/ a polite associate named Cheriti (I believe) and explained that I thought it was unacceptable to wait 90 minutes for a shuttle. She apologized by saying there was a shift change at midnight and the information may not have been communicated. She then asked what she could do to make up for the delay. After taking my complaint and information, she said the information would be given to her manager and she would be requesting that airline miles would be credited to my account for the inconvenience.

Aside from the shuttle service, the location is good and the sleep quality was very good. Just be wary of the timeliness of the shuttle service, especially if you are rushed to make a flight.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest: Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us in Houston. I' hope you'll accept my apology for the shuttle delay. I'm glad the front desk lady was able to assist you. Our policy has always been clear, our Guests should not have to wait more than 20 minutes to get picked up and we'll gladly reimburse a taxi fare from the airport, no questions, if we can't do that, While the shuttle service promptly delivers hundreds of Guests each week, occassionally the service can get backed up- when that happens we want to make it right. We will review this again with the staff and insure this is being communicated. We appreciate your business and we hope that the concern with this portion of your trip will not dissuade you from choosing to stay with us again. Respectfully, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were scheduled to stay at the Hotel one night then take our flight towards home. Our plane was cancelled two days. When inquiring if we could extend our stay, Ruby told us the hotel was full, but managed to rearrange things and we were able to stay in the same room for our second night. The staff was informative on what to do with our day in Houston. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and back from a local Mall. Everyone at the hotel gave us great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests; thank you for taking time to share your very nice compliments! The staff, and certainly Ruby, understand that Guests with airline disruptions often need some extra help from us. I'm glad the they came through for you. We hope you can visit us again in Houston and get to see more of what this area has to offer. We appreciate your business and wish you smooth travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Eulenbis, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I recently flew into Houston from Frankfurt, Germany, and stayed at the Holiday Inn close to the airport. I was extremely pleased with all facets of the lodging. The shuttle from the airport was quick to arrive; the staff at the hotel were every one very polite, courteous, helpful, and friendly; the room was clean, comfortable, and well-appointed, and had plenty of outlets for all electrical equipment; the wifi was fast and optimal. The adjacent restaurant was also superior in every way; pleasant decor and ambience, wonderfully helpful, friendly, and congenial staff members, and the food was great, both for dinner and also for the exceptional breakfast. Be sure and get one of the custom-made omelets! A special commendation and Thank You go out to Ruby at the front desk, whose cheerful greeting, great sense of humor, tremendous competence and expertise, and exceedingly helpful manner were all very much appreciated. She truly went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me in many aspects, always with an easy going manner and a bright smile. Thank you Ruby, and thanks to the entire staff for a very pleasant and enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The king bed non-smoking rooms are very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest; Thank you so much for the compliments on your stay! The staff really enjoyed hearing your feedback. The staff tries very hard, as you could tell, to take great care of all their Guests. We also appreciated hearing about the quick shuttle, the comfortable bed, and the great breakfast. We really appreciate your business and we hope that you have only smooth travels in your future and can someday stay with us again when in Houston. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've stayed here several times over the past few years when in town for business training. Normally, it isn't luxurious, but it provides a decent room and breakfast in the morning before I spend all day in meetings. The only issue I usually have is waiting 1+ hours for the shuttle at the airport.

This visit, I had the usual wait for the shuttle, just about an hour this time. They claim to have new mattresses. Mine was hard as a rock and lumpy; the pillows were also lumpy. My room was conveniently located next to the elevator and vending/ice machine, so it was extremely noisy.

This morning I went to have breakfast. I have food allergies and thought I could at least get two eggs cooked in butter as I have on past visits. I was wrong. The restaurant has only boxed eggs, margarine, and fake coffee creamer. They had nothing at all I could eat. I don't expect hotel restaurants to cater to my every whim or special need, but it doesn't seem too much to ask that they have eggs and butter during a week with perfectly good weather and no apparent supply problems. Those did not seem like extreme requests.

As I sit here typing this on the hotel computer (a plus, they do have computers), a woman behind me is complaining about how uncomfortable her bed was and how noisy her room.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest; I hope you will accept my apologies for disappointing you on this occassion; I do not understand the disconnect- no one should ever wait more than 20 minutes for the shuttle- we have always reimbursed Guests for a taxi- no questions, if shuttle service gets backed up. On breakfast we always have real cream and real butter available. The breakfast chefs know that and the server staff knows and should be responding correctly. I hope you asked the restaurant manager on duty to assist you: this allows us to quickly help you and also helps us identify and correct any employee that may need reminded. The beds are Simmons BeautiRest Plush Pillow Toppers. We receive many requests for information on where to buy them. If we can identify your room number we'll take a closer look at what might be the concern. While you have a choice of where to stay we appreciate that you took the time to share your comments. We hope that means that you might once again consider staying with us.
Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I would like to thank Angela A. for making my stay more enjoyable at the JFK Blvd. Holiday Inn. Our flight had been canceled earlier that day and things were beginning to look bad all over. Upon my arrival to the Hotel All I needed was for them to be out of rooms. Angela, after being told of the days problems, assured me that she would do what she could to make my day better. She found a room that was available due to a cancelation and that was the first step to more pleasurable day. She asked if I would need any toiletry items as I had explained to her earlier the airline had lost my bag. She fulfilled all of my needs this did make my night better after a really bad day. Thank you, Holiday Inn, for having such a dedicated staff to help customers.

Room Tip: Any and all are recommended.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest: It was a pleasure to read your very nice compliments about your stay and our associate, Angela. She is a wonderful person and we're glad that you noticed!. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope we can be of service to you again in the future. Wishing you smooth travels,sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Been to Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport? Share your experiences!