I work offshore and got stuck in Houston due to some major weather fluctuations. Here's my humble take on the Holiday Inn at IAH:
Staff- Pretty good overall. Just about every hotel employee I saw walking down the hall at least smiled and said "hello" to me. A few of the restaurant servers were rather sluggish/inattentive, but there was only one bartender in particular that was just downright grumpy during the entire time I was here. The rest of the restaurant staff was great. The front desk staff was fantastic, and Angela in particular was absolutely great. She laughed and made jokes with me with me. She was a very kind and friendly person.
Room- Somewhat average. I was in a two-double-bed room. I've stayed in a LOT of La Quinta and Fairfield Inns. Overall I'd say some of these other rooms I've stayed in were nicer than this Holiday Inn room. The chairs and upholstery were older looking but the furniture was very modern. The mini fridge was very mini, and was simply sitting on the floor with a microwave on top of it. The coffee maker and ice bucket were hidden in a cabinet and I didn't actually find them until my second day here. The beds were moderately comfy. Staying in as many mid-end hotels as I have though I feel like it was a little above average and you're not gonna get an AWESOME bed unless you stay in a high end resort. The bathroom was nice. Large shower, large toilet and a decent amount of counter space. Of course, with my job I'm usually limited to 33 lbs for traveling, so I didn't have a whole lot to put on the counter top.
Restaurant- The hotel restaurant known as Good Eats Grill was average at best with a few exceptions. Four dollars for a domestic draft or bottle and almost every entree that wasn't a salad or sandwich/burger was at least $12. I'm no food critic, but here's my recommendations:
Do not order:
Ribs- overpriced and overcooked. Great flavor, but about as crispy as bacon.
Muschroom-Swiss chicken- charred, dry, too much cheese, canned mushrooms.
Salmon- overcooked, tiny portion.
Buffalo bites- another exception to the chicken dishes. I had these three times and they were always delicious. GREAT flavorful, spicy-but-not-too-spicy sauce. They went perfect with a little ranch and a cold beer. And you get a whole plate full of them!
Pork Chops- tender and flavorful flame grilled chops, but a bit pricy.
Burger- flame grilled, juicy, big and average priced. Very yummy.
Broccoli rice casserole- tender rice, not too much broccoli, and cheesy. Just, mmm.
Baked potato- Excellent. Large, cooked to perfection and served with plenty of butter, cheese and bacon (I'm not a huge sour cream or chives fan, but they come standard).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience relaxation and renewal at the newly renovated Holiday Inn hotel in Houston, Texas.With a casually sophisticated atmosphere, first-rate facilities and a welcoming staff, Holiday Inn Houston - Intercontinental Airport Hotel offers the very best in Texas accommodations. Leisure and business travelers alike will appreciate our Houston hotel's convenient location off I-45 and Beltway 8 as well as our complimentary shuttle services to the IAH Airport, which make transportation trouble-free during your stay.These modern accommodations provide easy access to many popular attractions, including H&H Ranch, the Astrodome, Sam Houston Race Park and SplashTown Houston. Our hotel is close to great shopping at Deerbrook Mall and the famous Houston Galleria, as well.Lodging at our upscale Houston hotel provides corporate travelers with top business services like a 24-hour business center, free Wi-Fi and flexible meeting space. From a beautiful ballroom to an intimate boardroom, we have the perfect facilities for your next Houston event. Our accommodations are also near major corporations like Halliburton, Continental Airlines, ExxonMobil and Nat'l Oilwell Varco.We go beyond ordinary Houston hotels to offer the best in traditional hotel hospitality and services. Relax in the outdoor pool and enjoy your favorite comfort foods at our ranch-style restaurant. Discover premium comfort and affordable rates at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Houston, Texas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport Hotel Houston
- Intercontinental Houston Airport