“Noisy A/C vents made it impossible to sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8686 Kirby Drive, 2350 South Loop West at Kirby, Houston, TX 77054   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #273 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Noisy A/C vents made it impossible to sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Great medical rate, decent breakfast, and very comfortable beds, but on BOTH of our stays this past month we ended up in rooms that had very noisy A/C vents. Clanging sounds came from the A/C vents every fifteen minutes or so, which made it impossible to sleep through the night. Maintenance was called; however, the problem was not corrected. Also, at check-in on our last visit we were told there were no king rooms available. We learned later that day this was not true. An email was sent to the manager expressing our concerns, but we received no reply. Although we have upcoming trips back to MD Anderson next month, we are hesitant to book again at this property. It's like they say, "Twice burned, forever shy."

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
HOUCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
I do apologize that your experience with our hotel was not up to standard regarding your a/c vent in your hotel room, we would have been more than happy to move you to a different room. Please keep that in mind for any of your future visits to our hotel. Regarding the medical rate, it is for a standard room (2 double beds) should you request a king room in the future we would be more than happy to accommodate your wishes (additional charges would apply). I hope that you consider staying at our hotel again in the future so that you can experience our Crowne Plaza hospitality!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
baton rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I traveled alone to Houston for my grand daughters heart surgery at TCH, this hotel was more than accommodating. I felt very safe, the staff was so nice, the room was very clean, it looked like the bathroom had recently been remodeled, looked like new. A very generous medical discount is available along with a free full breakfast & extended checkout for medical reservations. I could not ask for more, I was very pleased with everything. This is the place to stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

This hotel recently hosted the Texas Hospitality & Lodging Association Conference, which I attended. That being the case I should tell you I personally didn't sleep at the hotel I just attended the conference(my company had me stay elsewhere) but my colleague did stay there and she loved it. The food & beverage managers, stewards, chef, and kitchen staff truly out did themselves. The hotel grounds are gated, guarded, and very well maintained. The conference area also was resplendent. The conference rooms had tables set up with multiple pitchers of softened ice water and very clean glasses, crisp linens, and candy dishes. They pulled out all of the stops serving lunch, all sit down with waiters in tuxes, table set with more silverware then some people know what to do with, and a different center piece/theme on the table for each meal. The food served would rival any 4star restaurant. I know it is hard to make one meal and have it please so many people, I.E.- if someone disliked the mushroom sauce on the steak they din't just bring them a bottle of A1 they brought out a new plate (very quickly) sans sauce with the offer of a substitute sauce. In most restaurants that takes forever. If you are thinking of using this hotel for an event of any kind do it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Southeast Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My wife has stayed at this property several times now, as it's proximity to the Anderson Medical Center and treatment of guests, combined with a fabulous rate is ideal.

Upon the last visit prior to this one, my wife noted that the plastic stool used to assist travelers in the Hotel Van to dismount had cracked.

This visit, the stool is gone entirely, leaving van occupants to dismount as best as possible. Many of these riders are senior citizens, who cannot make that step down very well.

My wife also mentioned that on a recent ride in the van, a gentleman from Oklahoma noted to the driver that the turn signal appeared to be broken.

Lastly, over the Holidays, the van was not in service to provide complimentary rides. It was not being fixed. The driver was not available to drive it. The Hotel's choice was to direct passengers to taxi's at their expense. That was a shoddy choice in my estimation, as it would have been very customer oriented to at least pay for the taxi rides when the promised van was not available.

While we will still use this property for all of it's other aspects, we and all others should be aware of the issues that should be dealt with in the complimentary van service offerred by the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
HOUCP, Publice Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
I do apologize with your recent experience with our shuttle to and from the Medical Center, since your last visit with us we have purchased a 19 passenger van with a wheelchair lift, automatic doors and steps. I hope that when you return to the Houston area that you consider staying with us again so that you can experience the Crowne Plaza Hospitality!
Ankara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I stayed at the hotel in May 2009 for Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) attendance.

The location:
It is located at nearer distance to Reliant Center and Reliant Stadium, and Medical Center area of Houston. The location is great.
I preferred the hotel for close distance to OTC activity in the first week of May 2009 less than a mile, in the walking distance.

Hotel Overall for my experience:
The rooms are large enough. Daily room-keeping is good. The rooms seem to be refurbishment. The hotel decoration also needs some renovation. Large car-parking area inspected by CCTV.
Breakfast is limited in selection but very good quality what is offered.
The room-rate is expensive what is serviced.
There is a one open swimming pool.
Business center is available.
This hotel may be chosen because of its suitable location.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Houston Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stay at this hotel if you want your car broke in to or if you want your truck stolen or if you want roaches crawling into your luggage. My husband and I booked a room for the month of March. We work out at the rodeo as volunteers and we thought it would be easier for us to stay at a hotel. The first night we stayed we were staying in the main hotel...the rooms have been remodeled and were ok. When we arrived at the hotel @ two in the morning we notice that security was not at the entrance of the parking lot like they were during the day when they were sitting out there collecting $20.00 dollars per car per day for parking. We were tired so we went to bed. The next morning while we were getting ready to go back to the rodeo I pick up one of my bags and a roach crawled out of it! After killing the thing we grabbed our bags and headed for the truck. Guess what, NO TRUCK. Someone stole it. We went back to talk to management of the hotel to see if maybe their security cameras caught what happened and guess what, NO CAMERAS. We asked where security was that night and guess what, NO NIGHT SECURITY! Security is there during the day as long as they can collect their $20.00 but at night when you need it the most, NO SECURITY! You know the worst part about it all is that the hotel management DID NOT CARE! After filing a report with the police we learned that this hotel was on the news a couple nights before for having an excessive amount of cars being broke into and thefts. Would I stay here again? NO WAY!

Stayed March 2009
Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

This was my second stay at this hotel. It is now officially the Crown Plaza. My mother is preparing for surgery at MD Anderson. This hotel is very supportive of MD Anderson patients. Their medical rate is excellent and so is their breakfast buffet. The shuttle service is from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. And this was very helpful because some evenings we would be at the hospital till 7:30 pm. Plus, it is convenient not to have to pay for parking. They will take you other places within a 3 mile radius, such as the Rice Village shopping center.

The first time we stayed the carpet was worn. We were in building 5 on the second floor. The second time we stayed in building 3 on the first floor and they were through with the remodeling on this floor. We have had a very pleasant experience each time we have stayed. The only complaint is that the bathrooms are too small.

• Liked — Shuttle convenients to MD Anderson & BREAKFAST
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center? Share your experiences!