“Good hotel, good price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8686 Kirby Drive, 2350 South Loop West at Kirby, Houston, TX 77054   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #290 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good hotel, good price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for work. Nice hotel, conveniently located for Rice University (8-10 min drive). Got a very nice room on the top floor of the tower, with a view of downtown and the stadium. The room was nice, the bathroom was a bit cramped though. They offered me a complimentary breakfast buffet on all days. I tried it once, it was good, though not sure I'd pay the $13 or so for it. Check in and check out was very quick. Wifi in the room worked well.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the tower. Didn't see the other rooms, but they looked old from outside.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
houcp-admin, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Nikhil Advani
We here at Crowne Plaza Houston want to thank you very much for taking the time to review our property during your visit to Houston Texas. If it is for work or for just for some good old R&R, we would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your guest in your future travel plans. I am pleased to know that we met your expectation during your stay with us but I sense that you left with a little bit of doubt. All of our 652 rooms have gone through some major upgrades and we are excited to share this with our entire future guest. Our property is very old in a sense and I must agree with you. This hotel was built back in 1968 but we have kept it up with the latest technology as noted on your comments on how well the Wi-Fi works. Among other things! And it’s a much larger property than most as it sit on twelve acres of land and just right across the street from Reliant Stadium. Football season is just around the corner and we would love to have you as our guest if you happen down this way again in the near future.
Full American Buffet, create your own omelet, eggs cook to order, waffles, pancakes, fresh fruits, assorted muffins and Danishes. With a variety of fruit juices and dry cereals just to mention a few items. All you can eat! Bargain wouldn’t you agree? Once again thank you very much and we hope that you include us in your future traveling plans. rc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
demaileron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I came in on a three night stay during the 2013 RodeoHouston. There were issues with my original room, so they moved me. The bellhop promptly came to move my bags. Front desk staff, GM, and restaurant staff are also extremely welcoming. Business center offers free copies (a plus you don't see often in full-scale upper-end properties). Rooms are very clean and recently updated. Excellent breakfast. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to tower rooms, it's worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
houcp-admin, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear demaileron
Thank you very much for all those kind comments on your review of our property Crowne Plaza Houston. We are certainly glad that you have found all of our accommodations to your satisfaction during your Rodeo Houston visit. We strive and it is our main objective to provide an excellent product and service. It is never too early to start planning and reserving your room for next years’ Rodeo season. Give us a call and we will be more than happy to assist you with your needs. I will also share this with all of our staff members and the management team. Please stop by on your next visit at the front desk and ask for me so that we can do something extra for you and your guest. And we have started upgrading all of the bed décor and I am sure you will notice this improvement. Once again thank you and looking forward to having you as our guest in the near future. Rc
Wallingford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here on business with 10 other coworkers - terrible decision. We chose this hotel over others because of the proximity to Reliant Park. Our group was split up between four building (yes they have four buildings). Those in Building 4 & Building 6 had to walk 10 minutes down a creepy, musty, un-kempt hallway. On several occasions they saw cockroaches in this hallway. Two coworkers came back to their rooms to find six legged friends in their bathroom, on their toothbrush, in the closet.
Food was slow and gross, Bar closed without warning, Front desk was unhelpful, AC sucked.
DONT STAY HERE. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!! Stay ANYWHERE else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If anything, ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
houcp-admin, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Michelle7240
Thank you very much for being sincere and sharing your comments and experience while being a guest of ours. I must apologize for the short falls during your stay and not meeting all of your expectations. We have not four, but six buildings with 652 rooms that sit on 12 acres right across the street from Reliant Park. Home of the 2017 Super Bowl! And yes it is spread out quite a bit than the normal box type properties that one is accustom to. However you did mention the rooms in the main building!
We sincerely welcome you to come back to our property and please do ask for one of rooms in the tower or main building. Or better yet ask for myself or our VP and we can assure you that we can definitely meet your expectations on your next visit with us. We have over 193 rooms in the tower and yes they are somewhat plusher and more upscale compared to those even set by Crowne Plaza standards. I am sure that you will defiantly have a different opinion of our property afterwards. Come back and see us. We will be waiting for you. We will have something nice waiting for you. Rc
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Needed to be near the Medical Center for my son and Reliant center for my wife...Location was perfect and staff even better....
Breakfast bufffet was great and pool was pleasant suprise. Drivers on shuttle were very friendly and houskeeping meet all my extra needs for the room with zero issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
houcp-admin, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Todd C
We here at Crowne Plaza Houston are glad that you have taken the time to let us know about your experience as our guest and that it was a positive one. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guest on how we are doing. I sincerely appreciate all the nice comments you made and will share them with our staff members. We certainly want to thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Good luck in all of your future travels. RC
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hi Jerry Mathers,
Just a quick note to say thanks for a great visit at the Crowne Plaza yesterday.
The service, starting from checking in to a complimentary welcome snack was outstanding.
I also had additional help from your IT guy who came up to my room to help me get on the web. I would have been sunk if I could not get on the internet.
You have a great staff and I appreciate the effort that was extended to me during my visit.
Thanks much and I look forward to coming back.
Regards,
Dann

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
houcp-admin, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Sr. Sales Manager

On behalf of Mr. Jerry Mathers, VP of Ops, I would love to personally say that we appreciate you taking the time to submit a nice review of Crowned Plaza Houston. And we also want to thank you for choosing and including us in your travel plans. We would also like to extend a warm welcome to you and your guest when you do happen to be down this way again. I will share this with all of our staff members and I am sure that they will be just as appreciative as I. Please take the time to ask for me or Mr. Jerry on your next visit so that we can continue to provide you with some extra complimentary goodies. Once again thanks, and we are looking forward to having you as our guest in the near future! Good luck in your future travels. Rudy. rc
Port Arthur, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I wrote a review on this facility but somehow it never showed up. Without going into detail, the reason for our stay was for access to MDA in the Houston Medical Center. Overall I would rate our stay as good to very good, so 3.5 to 3.75 bullets.

Pros:
Fairly easy to access on light traffic periods
Once inside the facility most amenities are accessible to mobility impaired guests
Very good restaurant
Quiet, clean units
Barrier free bathroom in accessible unit
Effective staff action in resolving problems

Cons:
Poor to fair Shuttle Service
Difficult to navigate exterior doors to handicapped section
Inadequate enforcement of non-smoking in and about atrium area
Very limited space in accessible unit, barely enough room for walker movement
Entry/Exit too close for comfortable ingress/egress to the facility from major traffic freeway frontage

Room Tip: Best complimentary breakfast of the five facilities we used. Rooms in Building 2 are VERY quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear “Wish I Could Give Partial Bullets”
Thank you very much for resubmitting your review of your recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Houston. We certainly appreciate all of those nice comments and those in which we fell short in satisfying your needs. I will make mention and follow up with these with itmes ASAP. We do have several rooms that would have been more comfortable located on the second floor of the tower. Be sure to inquire on your next visit. These ADA rooms have a lot more space and much easier to maneuver within the room.
We are a 100% smoke free hotel in all of our guest rooms but we also have to have a designated smoking area for those that do smoke. Maybe we will consider relocating this area to an area much further than its present location. I will work on this and keep everyone updated with any changes or progress being made with this delicate situation. We have to be fair to everyone!
And yes I must agree with you that we do have a very good American breakfast. Everything is freshly prepared each morning and we also have Omelets and eggs cooked and way you prefer them along with pancakes and waffles. Just like mother use to cook. Once again thanks and think of us for your next traveling/lodging needs. rc
Euless, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I chose the Crowne because I wanted a little "nicer" hotel than the Holiday Inn I stayed at last year. What a mistake. The lobby is beautiful with fresh cut flowers and nicely decorated, but that's where the good part ends.

The line for check-in was long (20 minutes). I was given my room and told I was in building #4. I would need to walk through the glass doors, through building 2, through buliding 3, take the elevator to building 4 and my room was on the second floor. I did as told but couldn't find the elevator. I finally drug my luggage up the stairs and found my room.

The room was very warm and humid (it's Houston!), even tho the air was on. I cranked it down and settled in. After an hour I called the front desk and requested a new room. They wanted to just send someone up to look at it but I knew I couldn't sleep in this warm a room and requested a new room. I was told the only room was a handicap room with a stand up shower. I agreed and took the room. Now I was told to come to the lobby for the new room keys. I explained my not being able to find the elevator and was informed it was between buildings 2 & 3!

The new room was closer to the lobby, but the A/C was only marginally better. You must request (and pay more) for one of the nicer rooms in the tower where the A/C is supposed to work.

Bottom line, don't stay here during warmer months as the very old A/C is unable to remove the Houston humidity and cool the rooms to an appropriate comfort level. The staff just doesn't care.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Johnette V,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry for the problems you experienced in your room and for falling short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments regarding cleanliness and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center? Share your experiences!