“Well-Kept, Clean, Friendly Staff - Nice Layout for Studios” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fun at Kemah Boardwalk
Ranked #114 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Austin, TX
“Well-Kept, Clean, Friendly Staff - Nice Layout for Studios”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We recently stayed here 2 nights in a studio and the room was spacious and very clean. The hotel was not indoor corridors, but where we stayed were only 4 rooms/options per floor. It seemed to be more set up like a true apartment, but was quiet for the most part. The interior design looked to have been fully renovated in the last 2-3 years, or sooner. The room was very nice and spacious.

We've stayed here once previously many years ago, and this experience was just as good. I would only say that the breakfast wasn't quite up to par with most Residence Inns that are 5 star options. It was good/average, but the eggs seemed runny/powdery at the same time (if that makes sense) and very little options/change from the 2 days that we were there. Again, it was good/average, but one of the reasons I kept from giving this a 5.

Location to Galveston, NASA, Kemah is awesome. Starbucks is literally in front of the hotel as well as McDonalds. There is a Krogers grocery about 7-8 blocks away for essentials. Recommend day/light trips for single females after 8/9pm.

Very well maintained and mostly safe neighborhood with tons of entertainment, shopping, and eating options within 5-25 miles. Solid 4 stars, an uptick in their breakfast would make them 4.5-5 stars.

Room Tip: Starbucks and McDonalds directly in lot in front of them on Bay Blvd, feet from hotel front. Minute...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Matthew_Hartman, Non-Management at Residence Inn Houston Clear Lake, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank You for your reply!

I have noted and passed on your feedback to our Food and Beverage team, as well as to management. I do apologize for the sub-par eggs during your stay with us, breakfast should always be a pleasant experience; one filled with quality options. Our passion is to provide Service So Memorable from all departments! In the future, please choose us again, I guarantee we will provide a breakfast that meets or exceeds your expectations! Please call or write back if there is anything else we can do.

Warmest Regards,
-Matthew Hartman
Senior Guest Services Representative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Abilene, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed one night here in a 2-bdrm. All 3 elementary age kids fit perfectly in the king bed, so we didn't need the pullout. Staff was very friendly & has great proximity to Starbucks, McDonalds, & Einstein Bros. Only complaint was the breakfast. Was about 30 other guests trying to get breakfast as well, & the one employee couldn't keep up with the demand. Rate was a bit high, but we enjoyed the larger room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I spent 11 days at this Inn and had a great time. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. I stayed in a studio for my first part of my stay and then moved to a 2 bedroom suite and found both to be well stocked for all my needs. The staff was totally accommodating and helpful. The morning breakfasts were delicious and well presented. I really couldn't have found a more enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We- stayed two nights last week after my father passed away and we were making funeral arrangements. On the morning of the funeral, my husband was on a call with his boss and some clients he was the call leaders. A very loud noise started and the floor started shaking. They were drilling something in the room downstairs. I asked the guy to stop but he said "sorry, i have work to do." Called the front desk and they offered to move us to another room or put us in the business center because they needed the contractor to keep working. They said they did not think it would bother any body. Unfotunately, while husband was call leader, there were 15 other people on the call and by the time he could resettle, the call would be over. I was (1) shocked that they put us in that room to begin with and provided no notification that drilling would be occurring in the room directly below and (2) that they couldn't stop the drilling long enough for husband to finish the call. He ended up dialing in simultaneoulsy on his cell phone using his blue tooth but not before some very awkward moments on the call while we packed up and left for the day. And then wouldn't you know the next day there is a note on the door advising us they would be inspecting the fire alarms et al.... There are a ton of similar properties in the area - the key reason to stay in these types of properties is to have work space but work space and drilling are singularly incompatible when the property manager puts its contrators schedules over the needs of its clients. Oh - and corporates response was they offered to move you, end of story. Clearly these people don't have to work with customers, schedules and bosses.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
VickyM33, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Clear Lake, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We thank you for your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you and your husband during your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear of your father's passing and send our deepest condolences to you and your family during this very difficult time.

During your stay, we did have some noise due to fire sprinklers being replaced, but this is a required Fire/Life Safety repair that was neccessary in order for our hotel to be compliant with the city to ensure the hotel is operating safely for all of our valued guests. We did offer options for this inconvenience, but all of our options were declined, therefore, we do feel as if we tried to compensate you for your troubles, but it seems as if none of the options were satisfactory.

We hope that you will continue to choose the Residence Inn Houston Clear lake for your hotel accomodations in the future so that we could improve your experience into a more positive and memorable one.

Thank you for your honest feedback!

joe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The rooms were very nice, clean and quiet. We stayed here to see the Houston Air Show and this hotel was pretty close without being on the main highway.

There was a small bump in the road, however the management made good on it and all is well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

In the past year, Residence Inn has become my go-to hotel. I've stayed at many Residence Inns this year, whether I've made the reservation or I've traveled with someone who has made the reservation. The stay at this particular Residence Inn with my husband for the Wings Over Houston Air Show last month was the first time there has ever been an issue.

Check-in went smoothly. I made the process longer than it needed to be by not having the right credit card readily available, but the check-in clerk (can't believe I forgot her name!) was so nice and never got impatient. As we were concluding check-in, I asked about lock box availability because my husband had an item that could not be taken to the air show. She said it wouldn't be a problem. In the time it took to go outside to the car and ask my husband a question and then come back inside, the check-in clerk told me she had asked the manager and he said that my husband could not use the lock box.

On the way to dinner, my husband stopped at the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. I stayed in the car, but my husband says he got nowhere with the manager and was unable to store the item in the lock box, even though he explained that his job allowed him to have the item, showed the manager proof of his job and explained the law that backed him up. The manager could not point to a policy backing up his decision to refuse to store the item.

We were so excited about staying here due to the proximity to the air show, but now, we had to drive the opposite way to find a place to store the item, and then drive back to the air field and fight traffic, watch the air show and then fight horrible traffic leaving the air show to drive the opposite way of the hotel back to retrieve the item. What should have taken about 10 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon now took 35 minutes in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon! It definitely put a damper on our trip.

The room was very clean, breakfast was good, and with the exception of the manager that didn't know his own company policy, we received the wonderful service and hospitality that we've come to expect from Residence Inn. However, we decided that we would never stay at another Residence Inn again. My husband sent a letter to Marriott asking them to clarify their policy regarding lock boxes. We didn't expect anything to happen, but he received a reply asking for more information and then a promise that they would look into it. Still not expecting anything, we were shocked when we received an apologetic e-mail yesterday from the hotel manager! She admitted that they were wrong and offered compensation for our inconvenience.

Who admits any wrongdoing these days? That means so much! I am so happy because I love Residence Inn and was disappointed that we would no longer be able to stay at one if they refused to accommodate my husband. I hope that they re-educate their staff so that we don't have to go through this again, but at least we know that if there is a problem, it will be resolved! We look forward to our next stay and we are grateful for the wonderful customer service we have received.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pros:
- location affords access to every type retail, restaurant and entertainment imaginable (Sbux immediately next door was great)
- laundry on-site
- offers a 2-bed, 2-bath suite
- able to park right outside your room

Negatives:
- place was disgusting & seemed as if it hadn't been cleaned ... spots of blood on the sheet and wall, kitchen counter was filthy, bathroom was cleaned
- daily cleaning service wasn't very good either really improve
- rooms were a bit small (2bed, 2bath seemed less than 700 sqft)

I am a Marriott Platinum member & stayed with Marriott for 15 years, and have never seen anything like this ... Dear Marriott, please investigate !!!

so you

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Houston Clear Lake? Share your experiences!