“Going the extra mile” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 468 Hotels in Houston
New Braunfels, Texas
“Going the extra mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

I made our reservation over the internet and somehow the room preference request didn't go through.

I showed the young man at the reception desk my confirmation from the website, which I had printed out that morning. As he apologized, he asked to copy my print out and said he would correct the error. Then, he led us to a large hospitality suite as a substitute for our room. We had a kitchen, a large living and dining room, two huge closets and doors to a large balcony. The living room and bedroom each had large plasma screen TV's.

I appreciate the effort and interest in making us comfortable and correcting the mistake.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Winter Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

Although I didn't need to be near the hotel I was worried that the campus would pose a problem but it didn't. The night I arrived it was pouring rain and visiblity was poor. I was thrilled to have underground parking which is not always the case in Houston. The hotel staff was very nice and yes there was a lot of students in training. The room was a bit dated but clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quite. My only complaints are the fact that the air conditioning could not be set to a certain degree, it was either on freezing or nothing at all. I tried to adjust the thermastat but to no avail. The other issue is the need for a token to exit the parking lot. This meant you were constantly asking the front desk for them. If you forgot it requires a trip back upstairs to the lobby. All in all for the right price (under $125) I would stay again any more and I would have to think twice.

• Liked — The bed, covered parking
  • Disliked — No controls over the airconditioning
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Huntsville, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

DATED ROOMS: SCARY PARKING: POOR ROOM SERVICE; CLUELESS FRONT DESK STAFF: NO SECURITY: STAY at the HILTON AMERICA's - it's only five minutes away.... I stayed at the University of Houston Hilton last year (9.2007). I was attending a conference for 5 days. I was sick and I called the front desk SEVERAL times to tell them not to cancel my reservation which was GUARANTEED with a CC because I would be there by 6 a.m. Monday morning instead of Sunday night. The reservation WAS cancelled and the hotel was booked for the entire length of my conference - no apologies at the time. I wrote a letter and finally got a "free romance weekend night" apology. That night was last Friday 8.1.08. First of all, we were given the "murder central" room at the end of the hall by the stairwell where the noise transfers extensively. The only time I have been given this room in the past is when I get a "priceline room" or the "military rate" room. Our romantic strawberries were great. And then, it started - the noise. About 9 p.m. we could hear very loud laughter. We waited to see if it would quit on it's own - I AM NOT A COMPLAINER! really. We complained about the noise twice before 11 p.m. - no apologies or offer to move us to a quieter room. I was awake listening to DOORS SLAM! loud laughter, someone singing in the shower near me, and music. I finally called the front desk around 4 a.m. They said there was nothing they could do and offered to move us. WE LEFT - sleeping in my bed at home with my three dogs and cat was is more romantic! The entire hotel management and especially the front desk manager Michele K. does not have a good handle on the staff or the quality of service. The rooms ARE dated - looks like something Lucy and Dezi would have stayed in on one of their trips to California... Room Service is limited. The bathrooms are tiny with chips falling off the tiles and mold in the air filters. I contacted management again and was told there was nothing they could do about the noise!! and offered me free dinner at the crappy restaurant. I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT INTO THE UNIVERSITY HOUSTON HILTON AGAIN, unless I have to because I do attend conferences there. PLEASE contact me if you need more information....

• Liked — My night was FREE but it was still a terrible VALUE
  • Disliked — THE NOISE and lack of concern by staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mpls
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were visitors at the University of Houston and a department at the school booked us in the hotel.

1. The hotel is a bit more dated then the Trip Advisor review page reveals. The exterior is just okay and the interior lobby is a symphony of green carpet from the 70's.

2. The staff was really nice, helpful. They are students at the University.

3. Hotel hallways were nice - more updated - someone did some renovating here - then you slide the card into your room door - and...well, let's just say it ain't the Hilton! Oh, wait - it was the Hilton!

4. Our room was small and weirdly spaced, there was a weird sliding closet and a giant vent above one of our beds. The TV was tiny - the reviews are right - it was laughable! I laughed.

5. At 3am our neighbor came home. We heard his whole conversation for the next hour. Seriously - it was like he was in the room with us. We determined that the vent was to blame. We mentioned it to the front desk, their response: "We're very sorry"

6. Cold water. Came in to take a shower after a long day - after letting the water run for about 10 minutes the temperature never went from cold to hot. Called the front desk to complain, the response "I never heard that before."

7. The restaurant was questionable...a grand white iceberg salad was delivered with chemical carrot slices, the menu seemed to be aiming at something - but overall was pretty random. The food was just okay...just like everything else at the University of Texas Hilton - just okay...

8. Parking system is kind of dated. Visitors get video game tokens to feed the parking machine. One for every exit.

9. Nice sewing kits though.

• Liked — Close to my business meetings. Sewing kits.
  • Disliked — Cold Water, Hearing neigbors through the air vent.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Schaumburg, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I have stayed at the Hilton at the Univ. of Houston about 5 or 6 times since 2006. While the hotel itself is fine - my rooms have always been comfortable and clean, no noise issues for me. My coworkers complained about not enough hot water one morning during our recent stay from March 5-6. I have also eaten at Eric's restaurant in the hotel several times since 2006. The experience at the restaurant has definitely been uneven, especially during this last stay March 5-6, 2008. The service was slow on for both breakfast and dinner. My food at dinner was acceptable, but one of my coworkers returned what she ordered for dinner. A manager should have come out to see what the problem is when a customer returns a meal. At breakfast the next day I discovered a smashed tomato in the carpeting that was left over when the restaurant was not properly cleaned from the night before. This is not a good sanitary procedure.

The hotel is fine, but if you are going to be in Houston for more than a day or two, you might want to explore other dining options than Eric's.

• Liked — Location near my business meeting, very comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Eric's Restaurant - food and service need improvement
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

We booked this hotel thinking it was a Hilton near the University (near where we have business) but instead it is a Hilton ON the University. BIG MISTAKE!
Yeah ok I get the concept they've got to learn somewhere but wow if this is what they are learning lookout Hilton! First impressions mean a lot - pull up out front and the area is all trashy and some kind of muddy sludge. Drag bags up the handicap ramp (about 8 stair steps worth) through the mud and crud. Front desk was ok but the lobby stinks like a sewerline problem - elevator too. Slooooooow elevator. Then get to a Dirty room that hasn't been updated since the early 80's I'd say - it's got PINK furniture and gilded everything. Tiny tv - I'm not kidding like an RV size. Tiny tiny tiny bathroom.... did I mention tiny? Not even the newer curved curtain rods to keep the nasty shower curtain from sticking to you.

No diamond perks outside of the larger room - no dining chits or exec level. No pool. No gym onsite but you can use the one on campus (ah no thanks). $6/day parking which you have to get tokens from the front desk to use.

Very noisy - lots of traffic noise & people milling around outside (oh yeah it's ON the university!).
One and only plus - great Hilton bedding so I'll give them 1 dot for that. Other than that - just not a Hilton.

• Liked — Hilton bedding
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

This hotel is attached to the University of Houston and serves as a training ground for the school of hotel and restaurant management program. I liked the concept.

The room was nice and clean. The style was a little too conservative for my tastes, but it was not overwhelming either.

The staff was good, but not outstanding.

The parking was difficult (required tokens and the gates were having issues).

The walls were REALLY thin. I sneezed and the guy next door said "bless you." I also picked up my phone when his rang (then I heard every word of his conversation).

I was placed right outside the elevator even though I requested a quiet room away from the elevator.

The location is literally on a college campus - positive or negative depending on your personal tastes.

Overall my stay was good, but not outstanding.

• Liked — The free sewing kit in the bathroom :)
  • Disliked — The noise level!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a token from the front desk before you try to exit the parking garage.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton University of Houston? Share your experiences!