“Reasonable price in Galleria (south) area & Better than expected” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #188 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Reasonable price in Galleria (south) area & Better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my first stay in a Candlewood property. Quite frankly I wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the highly unusual process for checking in at 11:15pm on a Monday night. The room is nicer than expected and is truly built as a suite for extended stay guests. The rooms are a nice size, although not huge. All include refridgerator, microwave, dishwasher, and cooktop. It might be described a cute. Maybe even a little Ikea feel.

What you need to know:
The Good: It's in the Galleria area, although very south edge, business area. Coffee isn't bad and the people have generally been nice. It's clean and appears generally cared for and in good condition. The water gets hot and has moderate pressure. The bathroom has more safety features than most. (grip bars, anti slip). TV is good and desk space i s awesome. The space is really comfortable. Parking and in and out is super simple.

The bad, although better said as areas to be informed: they apparently permit animals as I was awakened by a loud dog next door at 7am. The bathroom has everything you need, but no countertop areas for items. The bed is just ok. Nothing is high end, but hey, this isn't a 4 or 5 star place. The air unit is a little loud. If you're a light sleeper, this is gonna make you nuts.

Room Tip: Tip: I would seek an upper floor for quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Marilda D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you Ali M for taking the time to offer such wonderful feedback regarding our hotel and your stay with us. Please note that we are a pet friendly hotel and we hope that the next you visit us and one of the pets is disturbing you, please let us know so that we can inform the pet owners. We strive to make all of our guests comfortable during their stay.
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites for your lodging needs and we hope that the next time you are in need of lodging, you remember us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The suites are nice. New carpet, comfortable bed, a feeling of clean and new. The front desk has limited hours so good luck if you need to ask a question during the night or even at 6am. They have complimentary coffee all day--theoretically--but the machine was broken when I was here. The fitness room is--predictably--tiny. They have an honor system "pantry" where you can purchase food--I guess good for emergencies but really nothing worth eating. The people at the desk are great. Without a car....this location is pretty much the pits. It's way far from the Galleria Mall itself. I was able to hike across some roads and eat at a not-too-bad fast food Cajun place.

People here seem to be down on their luck--staying here while they look for permanent housing or in for short-term assignments. i was glad to go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Lisa F,

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy the hotel suites and comfortable beds were to your satisfaction. However, I am sorry for the inconvenience you may have had due to the amenities and location. We would like to assure you that we take each comment seriously as it has always been our goal to deliver only the best quality services and facilities. Rest assured your concerns will be looked into.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Came here last minute needing a room and saw that this place had decent reviews, and was located near the Galleria. Sweet. When I got into the room I was pretty shocked at how nice the place was considering the price of the room. The room is a very nice size, has lcd which is on a wall stand that you can pull out, nice bathroom. The bed is really nice and comfortable as well. Nothing bad to say!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marilda D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. Our team works hard to deliver a memorable customer service as well as a great product. We appreciate your review and look forward to your return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Candlewood Galleria during february on business having stayed in this hotel for the last 4 years. Reasonably priced rooms which for the 1 bedroom suite I stayed in was fully refurbished to include new furniture, bathroom and flat panel tvs. Very clean and comfortable indeed. Add in the honesty based Candlewood cupboard (drinks, snacks & microwave meals) and a decent gym. Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Plenty car parking. Located where the 59 freeway meets the 610 south loop so very easy to get places, including the Galleria mall which is 5 mins away by car.
My only complaint is that the wifi (which is free) is simply too slow, so for example cannot support good quality skype video calls. This needs to be addressed as in my opinion is the only blemish on an otherwise excellent hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for your loyalty. We know that there are many hotel choices out there so we appreciate you for being faithful to us. We are excited to hear that you love the recent renovation updates and glad to hear you spreading the word.
As for the WIFI, we appreciate your feedback and we working on an upgrade at the this time. Hopefully your experience in this area will be great as well. We will see you next year and thank you for your continued patronage.
Whittier, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you arrive at Candlewood Suites after 11:00pm, you are expected to walk into a very small lobby, look on the wall that has lock boxes on it. Look up your last name and it corresponds with the lock box that has your room key in it. Kinda strange but doable. Then you find out that maid service only happens once a week. Yep. That's it. Once a week. On Fridays. You are allowed to swap out your dirty linen and towels for fresh ones but you must strip the bed yourself and carry your dirty linen and towels down to the office. Then the lady behind the desk will take your dirty stuff and throw it into the back room. Then she goes back and presumably collects up clean versions of the items that were just turned in.

This place does not have a pool but it does have a nice gym. The "suite" part of the name is a bit misleading. It is a small room with a full kitchen with your own ice maker. Now that's cool. It also has a nice 42" HD TV and a lounge chair that is much too big for the room.

One thing I did like was that I was given a "goody bag" upon checking in. It was given to me because I am a member of Priority Club. It had a toothpaste sampler, bag of cookies, bag of peanuts, a nasal thing you use to stop snoring and I think that was it but still pretty cool.

My main complaints are that the toilets are too low and the water too high. Your hand gets wet when you don't want it to be (if you know what I mean). Another bad thing is the location. There is nothing around it. Ok, there is a Subway about a block away. That's about it. There is a Home Depot directly across the street.

Another thing that bugged me was when ever I had to call the office (wakeup call, etc) it took a long time for them to answer the phone. I mean each and every time I called I had to wait a long time for them to pick up. Really busy maybe?

My last complaint is the water pressure. This seems to be a problem at a lot of the standard fare hotels. It just pisses me off because it takes twice as long to take a shower. No bueno.

Other then that, the bed is not bad, very nice kitchen, and pretty quiet. Close to freeway, free parking. That's about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear bluzguy,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Essex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

For anyone that has had to stay in the Galleria area, you will know you are hard pressed to find any hotel for under $185/night and that is what makes the Candlewood Suites such a great value.

I had never stayed in a CS before and was pleasantly surprised. My room was very clean and modern. The bedroom/bath were spacious, large work area, cute little kitchen. Downsides were the towels (very rough) and the newish carpet was coming up in places and needed some work and the appliances in the kitchen were old, which was a shame because they seemed to have remodeled everything else. It was also very quiet, which was great

Unlike some other chain hotels in this price range, they do not provide a free breakfast. That was ok by me, I just bought a yougurt and oatmeal cup from their little shop, total cost $1.75 There was no fruit in the shop, which was unfortunate but all the food items were very reasonably priced.

I did not use the gym, but it looked ok. The other issue is you are far enough from the galleria you will not be able to walk to any restaurants for dinner, but it an easy car ride away

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stay here every 3 weeks or so & EVERY time I come I get excellent customer service. They recently did a major renovation & rooms are awesome! This is truly the best value in the area. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying for a long OR short time in Houston. I will continue to stay here every time I come to Houston...I love this hotel :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria? Share your experiences!