“Conveniently located hotel with recently refurbished rooms. Excellent value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #191 of 454 Hotels in Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Candlewood Galleria during february on business having stayed in this hotel for the last 4 years. Reasonably priced rooms which for the 1 bedroom suite I stayed in was fully refurbished to include new furniture, bathroom and flat panel tvs. Very clean and comfortable indeed. Add in the honesty based Candlewood cupboard (drinks, snacks & microwave meals) and a decent gym. Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Plenty car parking. Located where the 59 freeway meets the 610 south loop so very easy to get places, including the Galleria mall which is 5 mins away by car.
My only complaint is that the wifi (which is free) is simply too slow, so for example cannot support good quality skype video calls. This needs to be addressed as in my opinion is the only blemish on an otherwise excellent hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Marilda D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your loyalty. We know that there are many hotel choices out there so we appreciate you for being faithful to us. We are excited to hear that you love the recent renovation updates and glad to hear you spreading the word.
As for the WIFI, we appreciate your feedback and we working on an upgrade at the this time. Hopefully your experience in this area will be great as well. We will see you next year and thank you for your continued patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Whittier, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you arrive at Candlewood Suites after 11:00pm, you are expected to walk into a very small lobby, look on the wall that has lock boxes on it. Look up your last name and it corresponds with the lock box that has your room key in it. Kinda strange but doable. Then you find out that maid service only happens once a week. Yep. That's it. Once a week. On Fridays. You are allowed to swap out your dirty linen and towels for fresh ones but you must strip the bed yourself and carry your dirty linen and towels down to the office. Then the lady behind the desk will take your dirty stuff and throw it into the back room. Then she goes back and presumably collects up clean versions of the items that were just turned in.

This place does not have a pool but it does have a nice gym. The "suite" part of the name is a bit misleading. It is a small room with a full kitchen with your own ice maker. Now that's cool. It also has a nice 42" HD TV and a lounge chair that is much too big for the room.

One thing I did like was that I was given a "goody bag" upon checking in. It was given to me because I am a member of Priority Club. It had a toothpaste sampler, bag of cookies, bag of peanuts, a nasal thing you use to stop snoring and I think that was it but still pretty cool.

My main complaints are that the toilets are too low and the water too high. Your hand gets wet when you don't want it to be (if you know what I mean). Another bad thing is the location. There is nothing around it. Ok, there is a Subway about a block away. That's about it. There is a Home Depot directly across the street.

Another thing that bugged me was when ever I had to call the office (wakeup call, etc) it took a long time for them to answer the phone. I mean each and every time I called I had to wait a long time for them to pick up. Really busy maybe?

My last complaint is the water pressure. This seems to be a problem at a lot of the standard fare hotels. It just pisses me off because it takes twice as long to take a shower. No bueno.

Other then that, the bed is not bad, very nice kitchen, and pretty quiet. Close to freeway, free parking. That's about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear bluzguy,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Essex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

For anyone that has had to stay in the Galleria area, you will know you are hard pressed to find any hotel for under $185/night and that is what makes the Candlewood Suites such a great value.

I had never stayed in a CS before and was pleasantly surprised. My room was very clean and modern. The bedroom/bath were spacious, large work area, cute little kitchen. Downsides were the towels (very rough) and the newish carpet was coming up in places and needed some work and the appliances in the kitchen were old, which was a shame because they seemed to have remodeled everything else. It was also very quiet, which was great

Unlike some other chain hotels in this price range, they do not provide a free breakfast. That was ok by me, I just bought a yougurt and oatmeal cup from their little shop, total cost $1.75 There was no fruit in the shop, which was unfortunate but all the food items were very reasonably priced.

I did not use the gym, but it looked ok. The other issue is you are far enough from the galleria you will not be able to walk to any restaurants for dinner, but it an easy car ride away

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stay here every 3 weeks or so & EVERY time I come I get excellent customer service. They recently did a major renovation & rooms are awesome! This is truly the best value in the area. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying for a long OR short time in Houston. I will continue to stay here every time I come to Houston...I love this hotel :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Pros:
- cheap
-close to galleria area
- beds are comfortable

Cons:
- Front Desk clerks are for the most part friendly but you have to catch on them on right day
- Wireless is awful
- towels are rough
- some of the hotel neads work ( hallways, etc)

• Stayed October 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This long-stayed hotel is probably the best value you get if you stay at the galleria area and it is member of the Holiday-Inn club.

Staff is great, very helpful. A 24h store with an honorary system is available to you (no beer though)

The WiFi is just horrible - you have to login each and every time you unlock your phone and it is just too slow - just use your 3g.

Great deal if you're on a budget - almost 50% off the main hotels around this area.

Room Tip: Elevator is super-slow, get a room on the first floor. There is no facing to a loud area.