“Decent stay at a fair price” 4 of 5 stars

Drury Inn & Suites Houston Near The Galleria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1615 W. Loop South, Houston, TX 77027   |
Ranked #45 of 451 hotels in Houston
Buda, Texas
“Decent stay at a fair price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

First let me say that the staff was great. Our first room was near the elevator and ice machines and we gave it a try but it was too loud. They moved us without complaint even though we had already been in the room for 30 minutes or so! Thanks a lot for that!

I really don't have any complaints except for the lousy Houston traffic that can really gum up the roads around the hotel. There are plenty of places to eat and shop.

Minor complaints - full size instead of queen beds and I hate when things are not spotlessly clean especially when you are in the service business. My issue is not with the room but the common area for breakfast had an almost unbearably sticky floor. If you don't pay detailed attention to the public area what goes on in private? It does not inspire confidence!

Pluses - the breakfast was better than most other "free" ones I have had and their daily happy hour (Kickback) is actually pretty darn good especially letting me have three adult drinks! The shower rocked with plenty of hot water and outstanding pressure. Finally, the wifi was 100% free and worked like a champ which is more than I can say for many places I have stayed.

If you are looking for a mid-priced place that is clean (mostly) and convenient to the Galleria then this will work for you.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them not to put you next to the centrally located elevator and ice machines. Loud...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Houston Near The Galleria, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here at the Drury Inn and Suites, Near the Galleria. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage team. We always strive to maintain an extremely clean property, especially in the public areas. We do have a beverage station area which includes fountain drinks. This requires regular monitoring and cleaning! We have noted this and will focus increased attention to this area.

Also, we have just completed a rooms renovation here at the property, which includes conversion of rooms with double beds to queen beds. I know that this will bring a great new look to our rooms and a comfortable night's rest for you, our guest.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you stay at our property again in the near future.

Jose Miranda
Drury Inn and Suites, Near the Galleria

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I liked the room, courteous service, and reliable free internet. I liked even more the generous free meals provided: breakfast and "happy hour"--a free bar drink plus various appetizer-type foods, all included with the room tab. I have to say the decor is rather frumpy and the layout of this establishment is rather confusing, but the value for your money can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is not at all "fancy," but I would definitely stay here again. The main reason was the staff was very nice and the food was delicious! Free Parking, free popcorn, free breakfast, free Happy Hour, free evening food, free wifi......... Wow! This was definitely a great deal.

Room Tip: When we stay again, we will definitely request a suite. I think it would be a little quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was so disappointed. The two room suite with separate sleeping and sitting area was disappointing because there was hardly any room in the bedroom and for the price I felt sufficated. The towels were so hard, I felt like a scrubbing board. We arrived here on the 26th of March I decided to take the elevator closest to our room it was so filthy and a strong aroma of raid, I was hoping that I was wrong, because they have a pretty descent hot/cold brkfst and a real nice happy hour from 5 til 7 in the evening. I went to the vending machine to get some sweets and on my third purchase from the vending machine I was going to be purchasing some M&M plain I saw a roach crawling on the bag, my heart dropped. For the money they are asking for at this place (don't do it y'all). I travel all over the world. I take at least 4 vacations a year or more this, was a first for me, and never again. The brkfst is complimentary and so is the happy hour :( . Why me I don't do roaches!!! We are trying to find other accommodations but, everything is booked up. Praying not to take any of these criters home

Room Tip: Find another hotel I am so scared that I might be taking these criters with us on th rest of our vac...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Houston Near The Galleria, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. As we discussed, our vending machine provider has been notified as well as our extermination company to come inspect the machine. After it was reported, our maintenance technician went directly to the vending area and did not locate any bugs/insects. As a precaution, he sprayed a small amount of insecticide on the floor area. We apologize for the temporary odor, however, we did want to minimize any bugs that may have come in from outside.

Thanks again, and as I mentioned when we spoke, I look forward to your return to our newly renovated property!

Jose Miranda
Drury Inn and Suites, Near the Galleria
Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

There's a certain je ne sais quoi about this Drury Inn that makes me really enjoy staying here when in Houston. Virtually anything you could want is included in the room rate (internet access, parking) and they provide a pretty spiffy breakfast and happy hour (three free drinks per night!).

The staff are always cordial and make you feel like an appreciated guest. Rooms are always clean and tidy.

I highly recommend this location when considering lodging in the Galleria area. For the price, you really cannot go wrong.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tustin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

One of the first things you notice about this particular Drury Inn is the friendliness of the staff. From the moment I was greeted upon check-in to the time I checked out, every employee I encountered was very engaging, seemed genuinely interested in how my stay was going and came across as being proud of their property.

The hotel itself was clean and well-maintained. The lighting in the common areas was a little dim (it could've been the cloudy weather) and the décor was rather dated, but I was told that the property will be undergoing renovations at the end of the month. My room had plenty of space, a comfortable bed, and a couple of nice touches including a flat screen TV and a refrigerator. An interesting feature was in the shower, where they mounted dispensers for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, eliminating the need to continually replace those little hotel bottles. The one room amenity that was missing was hand lotion, so dry-skinned visitors should remember to bring their own supply.

Many hotels provide you with complimentary food, but the Drury Inn goes a step beyond the norm. Breakfast features the usual “continental” fare, plus scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fresh fruit and waffles. In the early evening, there is a manager’s reception, but in addition to the popcorn and nachos offered at other hotels with your complimentary cocktails, here you can have soup, salad, hot dogs, macaroni & cheese, baked potatoes and boneless chicken wings.

This hotel is located adjacent to the high-end Galleria section of Houston, where you can find a number of excellent hotels with correspondingly high rates. The Drury Inn and Suites offers an excellent alternative for those travelers who don’t have unlimited budgets and are seeking comfort, convenience and a good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Southern US State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

There's something about coming back "home" to this particular location that just spells "ahhhhhhhh"...as in, it's so awwwwwwwesome to be here - again!

It's kind of scary when you have to think that each time could be better (but HOW do you beat it?!). Coming off a fantastic New Years' long weekend, and I couldn't wait until I could get back to TA to write my review.

Getting the warmest welcomes from Mary, and of course the big 'ol handshake from Jose, it's pretty obvious you know you're in the right hotel. A perfect room on the 4th floor, facing the highway, in a lobby corridor room, freshly cleaned and prepared for our arrival. Never a wonder if our reservation is still there; never a wonder if a room won't be available for us; never a wonder who'll greet us and if they remember us. And...that dilectable aroma of fresh, hot, buttered popcorn as you enter - wow!
The room is clean, the space is ample for my wife, myself, and our daughter (who'll occupy a rollaway - comfortably), the recliner, flat-screen tv, two telephones, dual-vanity sinks, enclosed toilet/tub/shower area. AC and Heat that work nicely, wireless internet, easy access to stairs and elevator...we're set!
Now let's get down to the KickBack, because it's chalk-full of hot and cold goodies, like chicken tenders, penne w/meat balls, soups, salad, chips, pretzels, melted cheese, hot dogs, sodas, 3 alcoholic beverages per adult...really now?! Just..don't bother bringing your wallet...because here, you aren't going to need it!
How about a work-out on 1 of 3 treadmills, stepper, or the recumbant bike? Maybe you're daring like my daughter to swim in the half indoor/half outdoor pool? Or, you're like me and would prefer the amazing spa!
Just...how will you stay away from that daily, fresh, piping-hot popcorn and sodas from 3-10?? I know I couldn't...and I doubt you will, too!
Of course, after our very comfortable sleep, we were all rarring to head down to the hot breakfast - full of eggs, sausage patties, breakfast potatoes, biscuits/gravy, bagels, bread, waffle makers, oatmeal, 4 types of cereals, several flavors of yogurt, fresh apples and bananas, orange and apple juice, coffee, tea, soda, donuts... and...don't bother with your wallet! You ain't gonna need it for breakfast, EITHER!
This close to the Galleria, right off the 610, close to 59, 10, Sam Houston Pkway...is this place for real? Free parking you ask? Of course! I hear you even get 60 minutes of long distance, free!
Jose...you run a fantastic hotel! Mary, Chris, Esther, the "new" guy...and the rest of your Team...please...please keep it up! Oh, and thanks to your "live-in" guest who offered us a lil Bubbly at New Years!! HNY to you, too!
We'll see y'all again real soon!
And I hope anyone who's reading this review to see if they should stay here, will also be seeing you soon!

Room Tip: As long as you're not taking OUR room when WE need it, try any of the rooms at the front of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Houston Near The Galleria? Share your experiences!