“MOLD ON WALL, MOLDY GARBAGE UNDER MOLDY MATTRESS” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #239 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Denver, Colorado
“MOLD ON WALL, MOLDY GARBAGE UNDER MOLDY MATTRESS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Dear Sirs,

I am Assistant Director of a language academy in Denver (30+ employees). My business booked late (end of June 2012) for a NAFSA (educators') Conference and Howard Johnson Inn Katy Freeway was the only place with available rooms. When I arrived I noticed the room smelled musty, but since it was late I just went to bed. When I returned from the conference the next evening, I noticed mold in the corner of my room and determined to leave first thing the next day because of the hour. However, while in bed something bit me and I decided to check under the mattress (between the mattress and box spring). There I found moldy garbage: a plastic bag with some mystery material inside wrapped in paper towels as well as a mold filled serving tray which had permeated the mattress above with mold. I took photos of all this with the night manager present. I left that same evening for another hotel. The next day I was treated very rudely and sarcasticly when I called to talk about the matter. As a client I was sickened. Any hotel that allows the premises to deteriorate to the condition this hotel is in despises and resents their guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
hojohoustontx, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that the location was a good one for you.

• The front desk received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Garland, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The room appeared to have been recently painted and was very clean. It was missing one light bulb but that was taken care of promptly. Parking would be aproblem if all the rooms were occupied but we had no problem. Breakfast didn't match what we have found at Best Westerns but it was adequate. Staff was friendly and responded to every request promptly. Major problem was the construction going on the access road and that's not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Get a good map. The access road for I10 does not always get you there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

• Housekeeping received our commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Housekeeping received my personal commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Staff received our commendation for the courteous, friendly manner in which they treated you, our valued guest. Their promptness was especially commended.

• Staff received my personal commendation for the courteous, friendly manner in which they treated you, our valued guest. Their promptness was especially commended.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This place is excellent. The only thing bad is the city/state construction on I10 in front of the hotel. The rooms all very clean and well furnished. I always try to stay here when i'm in Houston. I recommend it to everyone. No pool or restaurant on premises, but who cares.

Room Tip: all rooms are great, i just prefer ground floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Berwick La
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This motel is having to deal with major feeder expansion by the city of Houston. It is a small facility which is close to downtown and the Galleria area. It has been remodeled with new furnishings, etc. Each time I return I see different improvements. They have a full complimentary breakfast.
( Pastries, etc. and Hot foods ) I have stayed at the facility three times in the last six months. I would recommend this facility to any traveler. No frills, ( pool, etc. ) but it meets my needs!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

This is the second time my family and I stayed at this property. Although, the first time was a bit unpleasant, the second time was much better. The front desk clerk was very was nice; He made jokes and really seemed like he enjoyed us staying there. The bath towels were thin, but other than that, there were no problems with the room. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and I do plan on staying here again.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

We checked into the hotel around 7PM and was given a nonsmoking room. Upon entering, the first thing we noticed was the smell of fresh paint, not bad. Wanted to turn on some heat, one of knobs was missing. Called manager who brought us another one to use. Room was clean and heat/air worked fine. There is free internet if you bring your own laptop but did not feel safe about leaving it in the room. We only had 2 thin bath towels so we had to go ask the manager for a couple more. There is a microwave and small refrigerator in room that worked fine. Also a 4 cup coffee maker but after the first day no coffee was left. Upon going to bed, there was no mattress cover over mattress, sheets were very thin and the bottom sheet was a flat sheet, not fitted, not even tucked in so all night the bottom sheet was tangled but the bed itself is very comfortable as well as the pillows. You can hear trains at night and the highway out front. The next morning we went down for the contential breakfast which consisted of fruit, cereal, powered donuts, bread and whole milk. Asked for skim milk and was told they didn't have any. We stayed 3 nights and each morning when we went for breakfast the same woman working at the desk did not even greet us or acknowledge we were even there. Completely ignored us like she could care less if we were staying at her establishment. She was walking around in the lobby and outside bear footed!! We stayed here because my husband had a conference at the convention center downtown and it was easy to get to. Will we stay here again, probably not. Did not like the way we were ignored, no mattress cover over the mattress is just gross and I want to sleep in a bed with fitted sheets that are not so thin you can see thru them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
hojohoustontx, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that it was a good location for your husband’s conference.

• The manager received our commendation for the courteous manner in which he treated you, our valued guests, in personally bringing you a knob for the heating unit.

• The manager received my personal commendation for the courteous manner in which he treated you, our valued guests.

• The woman working at the desk received additional training in professional dress while working. Bare feet are not appropriate.

• The woman working at the desk received additional training in the courteous manner in which you, our valued guests, are to be treated.

• Housekeeping was approached about the possibility of fitted sheets being used. Also the room being kept supplied with coffee was discussed.

san antonio,tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I recommend not staying at this hotel...we got there 20 minutes before check in and the manager placed us on the second floor facing a wall in the corner. There were only 2 cars and we ask to change room; he was rude and sarcastic stating that we are lucky we had a room and would not give our money back even though we were unsatified. Bad customer service! when we went to the hotel room there was a horrible ordor! We called corporate and got our money back...if you looking for a hotel I recommended staying at the Comfort Inn down the block. Be recommended that this is not the safest looking area in Houston.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear chino eyez

Thank you for attempting to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston during your recent stay in our area.

• The manager received additional training in the courteous manner in which you, our valued guests are to be treated.

• The odor you encountered was discussed with the manager.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!