“Clean and Convenient but One Major Problem” 2 of 5 stars

Children's Musuem Package
Ranked #70 of 456 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“Clean and Convenient but One Major Problem”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This place is in a convenient location near the Galleria. I looks clean and well kept. But they have a huge problem in overbooking guests. I flew here from Boston, arrived at 11 or so at night, only to be told that I had to stay at a different hotel 12 miles down the road. If it wasn't for that I would reccomend this hotel. Someone on staff told me that this does happen there from time to time. I have never had this happen to me once before and I travel a lot. The reason given me was that some guests decided to stay longer, but that doesn't really fly with me as an excuse. I have not had good luck with Marriott lately. They ran a promotion this summer where for every 3 stays you get 1 free night. I think it was in response to the similar Starwood promotion. But unlike Starwood you are limited to lower tier hotels which I didn't realize until I tried to use the free night I had earned. If you are booking here and want to stay there nea the Galleria I would emphasize that while mking the reservation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
RIGalleria, Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Thank you for the honest feedback and we're confident that this isolated situation is not a reflection on our normal business practices. We have implemented measures to ensure situations such as this do not occur and continue to re-train our staff on our standard operating procedures. When traveling to Houston again, we hope that you will give us another try.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This location is excatly why I stay Marriott loyal during all of my business traveling. The staff's sincerity and willingness to accomodate every guest request is unparalled. They truly know and embrace the true meaning of customer service. While being on the road there is nothing better than feeling welcomed and appreciated for my business. They are my first and only choice in the Houston area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

This hotel was one of the best hotels I have stayed at in a long time. The staff there is very efficient and goes above and beyond to be sure each guest request is accommodated. There is a gentleman there at night that works the front desk that was very friendly and helpful. He even remembered my name and always greeted me.

The location is also very convenient as it is just across the street from the Galleria mall. I was able to walk to the mall each night for some dinner and shopping. I was even able to walk to Bally’s and work out each morning courtesy of the hotel. When in Houston, I will stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Arrived late at 11PM on dreary December rainy windy night. After getting my room key and hauling all my stuff up to the room, the key did not work. My #1 BIGGEST pet peeve with a hotel, Had to park all my stuff on the aisle was (which was outside), go down and get a new key. By this time, I forgot I left my PC behind the drivers seat in my car under some hanging clothes. Went down the next day, rainy, wet and cold, in backing out of the parking space, my passenger side rear window was smashed and no PC.
I went inside to tell them, they call edthe cops and told me "well, this is the Christmas Season" like I should have related that to my business trip.
Not another word from anyone there, no "I am sorry", "what can we do for you" - nothing, zero, nada.
And they charged me to park there - add insult o injury!!
I usually stay every week at the Residence Inn in Sugarland, I had a early morning meeting this time nearby and decided not to fight Houston traffic.
What a day and night difference between these two properties. The only Gallerine employee that was even remotely concerned was the night auditor guy, I guess they tried to break into his car too.
If the sliding entrace barrier gates isn't a warning sign that something is terrible wrong with this location......
You can't even get to breakfast without having to walk outside to get there!!!
Last time I stay there - or maybe rethink my Marriott Platinum status to another hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
RIGalleria, Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. Rest assured, we have taken the necessary steps to ensure the safety and security of our guests. We have increased nightly patrol as well as added additional lighting to our parking lot. We hope that you give us the opportunity to accomodate you again and would like to invite you back on your next visit to Houston. Please contact the sales department directly to coordinate the details.

Kind regards,
Dana Weiche
Sales Manager
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed at the Residence Inn recently and I can't say enough about them. The service is simply amazing. Two of the associates at the front desk just went out of there way to get me maps or provide suggestions. There is a lady who works in the evening time for there dinner who adds "magic" to the meals.

My room was always clean and they left a towel animal that looked like a dog in my room when I came back. The only bad thing I can say really is that the rooms were a little out dated, and when I told them at the front desk. I was informed that within the next month they are getting all new furniture.

I booked another reservation with them for next month. I am sure it will be great

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
TX, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

The first thing I would like to say is that the pictures one finds of this Residence Inn online are not telling the whole story. The vast majority of the rooms are located not in the quaint looking "gatehouse" (as they like to call it) but in very utilitarian 3-story motel style buildings which flank the "gatehouse" on three sides. As a matter of fact, the entire area between the 3-story buidlings and the "gatehouse" is a parking lot, with parking spaces also underneath these buildings - it looks a bit like an army base and is not pretty at all.

Secondly and more importantly, acess to rooms on floors 1 - 3 is via staircases (accessible through external doors that need a keycard to open), and an external elevator which again only operates after inserting one's room's keycard. However, both the staircase door as well as the elevator are located away from public view around a corner that can't be overlooked. Once around the corner, a person is completely out of view. This made me feel very uncomfortable even during the day but getting to our room after dark I found unsettling to say the least. As a woman traveler I would not recommend this Residence Inn for safety reasons.

On the upside, the suites were very clean if small, the beds comfortable. But this did not make up for the lack of safety.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We understand that safety and security are important to our guests. Please understand that we took this into great consideration when we converted our property from apartments to a hotel. We realize that as a woman business traveler safety and security are your two most important needs as you travel. We also feel these aspects are the most important items we can provide to our guests. It is this reason we have taken the necessary precautions to provide additionally lighting around our property and the required guest key card access to the stairwells and elevators to prevent anything happening to our guests. We have taken many other steps as well in the effort to ensure our guests safety and we hope that you will give us another try on your next visit to Houston.

Kind regards,
Dana Weiche
Sales Manager
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We drove to Houston for a long holiday weekend. With 3 kids, we chose a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms were nice and spacious - and loved the free breakfast.

We liked the easy access to the highway so we could see the sights. We went to NASA and the Whitte Museum.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria? Share your experiences!