“Misdirected Luxury” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Misdirected Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

St. Regis is definitely a 5-star hotel. Very different from a traditional hotel, they really try to aim to make you feel like you're at home but at the same time that you're some big shot CEO. The service is so good it's kind of creepy. For example every time I came back to hotel from work they say "Welcome Back Mr. ___, how was your day?". Which sounds fine but they ask you this like 10x a day and they're clearly paid to do it. It's not genuine. Every touch point you have with the hotel they try anticipate what you want and help you in anyway. Sometimes I just want to be left alone. Also it's hard to distinguish between what's complementary and what's paid, and ofcourse any type of paid in-room service is way overpriced.

Internet in hotel was only 1Mbps. It was fine, and worked fine for voip calls. But still for browsing it is noticeably slow. I would expect better from a 5 star hotel with a $215/night rate.

There is no coffee maker in the deluxe rooms, but there is free good coffee and tea every morning in the lobby. But no one told me about this. I only discovered it on my last day.

There is no fridge either in the deluxe rooms. There is a mini bar but it's not cold enough for perishable items. We had to ask them to bring in a fridge into the room which they obliged and provided one.

So my feeling from St. Regis is it is luxurious, it is highly custom service, but some of it is misdirected and useless. I'd rather have a working fridge for example than their daily printed weather forecast service w/ chocolate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of our associate following your recent stay at the St. Regis Houston. Our staff prides itself on personalized service and I apologize if you found it a bit ingenuine.

With regard to the internet service, we have plans to improve this in the very near future as other guests have also expressed their concerns.

Yes, we do have morning coffee service in the lobby and I regret that the front desk did not
mention this to you on check-in. The mini-bar meets the refrigeration needs of most of our guests and I was pleased to read that they placed a refrigerator in your room when requested to fulfill your requirements.

Please come back to see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to my first stay at a St. Regis and was not disappointed. The hotel wasn't much to look at from the outside, but the bellmen offered a warm greeting and check in was extremely efficient. My room was large and nicely appointed. The woman who delivered my coffee in the morning was delightful and a handful of people offered their assistance with my bags at check out. I would also add that the bed was extremely comfortable. My only complaint is that they charge for wireless per device. When I objected at check out, the second charge was removed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
As a first time guest of the St. Regis Houston, it is a genuine pleasure to read that we met your expectations in service and appointments. A large amount of our staff are long-term associates and pride themselves on personal service to our guests.

With regard to the charge for wireless devices, we have changed this to allow for three
wireless advices to be allowed for one charge; I was pleased to read that the
Front Desk credited this for you.

Please come back again soon to see us.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a travel SNOB! I travel for work, for fun and sometimes both. When you travel as much as I do, a great property with a great staff is Blessing from Above! Well, the St Regis Houston is a delight to all of your senses and will spoil you to where if even lived in Houston, where an "In-Town" vacation at this AAA 5 Star Rated Hotel would be a treat for even the most discriminating traveler! I have stayed at this "Hotel Gem" for over 20 years through many incarnations. From the days when it was built by the Mistress of Luxury Properties Caroline Hunt in 1982 and named The Remington, it then became a Ritz Carlton, to a Luxury Hotel with no name, to the "Luxury Collection" and then finally and I hope forever, The St Regis. Recent renovations made this already luxurious property even better and more beautiful. I loved watching the artisans who worked on the renovations while I stayed there. Never any inconvenience to me me, but I felt like I was watching a painter finishing his masterpiece!
On top of all the luxury, the beauty and the ambiance, the SERVICE and the PEOPLE are what truly makes the St Regis Houston shine and blow you away. From the best bartender in Houston if not all of Texas, Harry Spitzer, to a staff of ABSOLUTE PROS who I consider my friends! The minute you pull in the drive, the Valets and the Doorman, all of whom have been there "forever" and are unequaled at ANY hotel in America. The Front Desk/Reception and Concierge staff are wonderful, professional and "go beyond the call of duty" to make your stay exceptional! Then if you need them, the Bell Staff, once again, LONG TIME dedicated, fun and helpful, will spoil you with what they do!
I could go on and on, but I feel so strongly about the St Regis Houston that even when I have lived in Houston, I would stay there! A "Can't Miss" Hotel experience for the most discriminating, luxury or business traveler. I consider all the folks who work at the St Regis Houston my friends and almost family. Tell them I sent you! LOL

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
What a pleasure to hear from one of our exceedingly loyal guests! You know how wonderful our excellent long-term associates are who have assisted you over the past twenty years in Houston and it is wonderful that you consider them your friends as well.

Thank you for singling out Harry in the Remington Bar; yes he is the best bartender in Houston, and perhaps Texas as well.

Please come back again to see us soon; your friends await you.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Really liked staying here, the room was massive and the bed comfortable. The lifts were super fast which is always good. The bar had an excellent band playing the night we stayed (Friday) and they drew a good crowd. The atmosphere was really good.

Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Your recap following a brief weekend stay at our Hotel is much appreciated. Thank you for recognizing the wonderful room appointments and the band in the Remington Bar.

Please plan on coming back to see us again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I called this morning with an inquiry on an invoice for a hotel stay at the St. Regis In Houston, TX. Vickie was not only very kind and friendly, but she was quick to respond to my questions. Thanks for your quick help!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write and let us know how helpful Vickie in Resevations was to you. So glad to see that your inquiry was handled so quickly.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Best place to stay in Houston, Jefferies #1 preferred hotel. The service is impeccable and consistent. We have had a variety of conferences and events here that far exceeded any other place I have experienced. The staff is friendly and truly makes an effort to accommodate all needs. I have been especially impressed with the St. Regis accounting department. I highly recommend Chief Accountant, Handan Yolcu. Handan is reliable and professional, making sure all of our accounting needs are done efficiently and accurately. A very respected accountant in Houston. Overall, great experience, have been staying here for years.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the wonderful service that our associates provide to all our guests, and ever more specifically to Jefferies. Many associates are long-tenured here at the Hotel and pride themselves on personalized service to our guests.

Thank you for recognizing our Chief Accountant, Handan Yolcu, for her assistance to you.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

While the rooms were lovely, spacious, and comfortable, I was quite disappointed with the service. Check-in was slow and unfriendly, as was check out, and the staff was generally unhelpful. I don't mean to exaggerate, as the service was not awful, but it was very disappointing for a St. Regis. It seems to me like the St. Regis here is quite comparable to the Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons in terms of hotel and room quality, but my experience has been that the latter two have FAR superior service at very similar price points.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Your recap of your recent stay at the St. Regis Houston was a bit disappointing to read. We have a wonderful stay, many long-tenured, and I apologize if you did not receive only the finest in service while at the Hotel.

I would love to welcome you back to stay with us to show you the true luxury standard of service at this Hotel; and encourage you to feel free to contact this office directly when making your next reservation.

Been to The St. Regis Houston? Share your experiences!