“Classic Marriott brand experience” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #82 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Classic Marriott brand experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for a recent business trip to the area. The single biggest problem is that the hotel is hard to find. I had a Google map and Google directions and still had problems finding it. The driveway is easy to miss as well. I found myself zooming by at about 60mph and had to figure out how to navigate to get back.

The hotel was classic Marriott brand. The room was small but well appointed. The bathroom was pretty basic, more like a Courtyard than a full service hotel.

I had breakfast at the club room which was actually quite good. I would rate the club room at a higher end of the spectrum.

Did not eat at the restaurant but it looked nice.

The overall checkin and checkout service was very efficient and friendly. Nothing to fault in my stay there.

Room Tip: Couldn't say there was much difference
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott North for a business trip to Houston. I thought I was getting a hotel by the airport but this hotel isn't really by the airport at all. It's closer to Greenspoint mall and beltway 8 then IAH. My room was a nice size and very clean. I ordered room service that was delivered on time and the server was really nice. I stated that I forgot to order coffee and she went and got me some very quickly. I thought that was very nice. The lobby, bar/restaurant and check in are all very modern, clean and easy to access. Parking was free. The hotel is right off beltway 8 so you can get around quick and fast. I enjoyed my trip and would stay at this hotel again. As a single woman I felt safe coming in the hotel late at night and they have added security because you have to use your room key for the elevator to work. Very safe!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel itself is very nice, close to I45 and the airport. They have a real nice pool and hot tub. Our room on the 12th floor was large and very clean. They do not give free wifi (even though i'm elite in Marriott Rewards) which I thought was strange . The restaurant had good food but expensive!..My wife had a cup of hot tea for $5.00.. really?..Thats just crazy!..Overall it was a nice hotel but I wouldn't walk around the area at night.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, opposite side of highway!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Have made 12 trips to the IAH area since august 2012, & have stayed in about every Marriott property in the area. This one is my favorite, even though it's not the closest to my workplace, due to the very friendly & helpful staff. Have noticed that the Greenspoint area is not what it was 25 years ago, but never felt uneasy, including one night I returned from work at 2 am.

• Stayed February 2013
Vail, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Marriott Houston North at Greenspoint is awful. Don't let the pretty picture fool you. It is close to Beltway 8 and if you get just the wrong side of the hotel, you will not sleep! I did not sleep a wink. My flight had been canceled and I needed a place to stay. Marriott North was a poor choice on my part. All I wanted was about 4 hours sleep before waking up to go to the airport again. What I got was trucks and cars amplified all night long, no quiet period. If you have an early morning flight, the complimentary shuttle does not get you there. You have to get a cab if you have a 6:00am departure. I paid $221 dollars for "no sleep" and no ride to the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is difficult to review a standard chain hotel product like a Marriott as they are deliberately designed to be the same product and experience everywhere. This is a typical Marriott product. The hotel has been recently renovated, my room was nice, and the lobby has the new lobby lounge/bar/restaurant format called DEN.

The hotel is near the aiport (George Bush) and there is an airport shuttle. The hotel is in a former business district called Greenspoint tha tis now sadly in decline (the largest corporate tenant inthe area, Exxon, is moving out). I was in Houston on real estate related business and everyone I met commented on how Greenspoint had seen better days - especially the shopping mall.

Two aspects about my hotel stay were disappointing. One, DEN, the in hotel restaurant/lounge had a menu that was corporate bland. I was shocked that at 7pm on a Tuesday night they had run out of the local beer, Shiner Bock, both on draft and in bottle. Also, when I requested some hot sauce for my dinner I was greeted with a blank stare by my server. Eventually they found some tabasco sauce.

The little snack and sundry area by the check in counter looked as if it had not been restocked in weeks. I was hoping form some peantus to go with my beer but the shelves were bare (seriously).

Lastly, I have to mention that the hotel tv channel had the scariest safety video I have ever watched. It really made me look over my shoulder every time I walked down the hallway to my room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jane H, Manager at Houston Marriott North, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Gearhead85,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on our hotel. We value your input as it helps us improve both our services and physical accommodations.

I do have to say I was surprised by your assessment of our Greenspoint area. Yes, the area went through a tough time back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. But since then, Greenspoint has been through a huge transition into a vibrant neighborhood and business district. Crime is down 42% since that time even though the population has grown by 48%. In fact, our crime rate for violent crimes is no worse than the Galleria area. I would be happy to provide you the statistics if you would like.

Currently the class A office buildings in Greenspoint are running at 96% occupancy, which is above the Houston average of 90%. As to the Exxon departure, it has nothing to do with the area. Exxon is consolidating campuses all over the United States to their new campus just north of the hotel. Here in Houston, the Galleria, Downtown and Energy Corridor area offices are also moving up north. And they are not totally moving out. At this time around one million sq ft of Greenspoint office space will still be occupied by Exxon after the new campus opens.

You are correct about the shopping mall. That is one sore point Greenspoint still has left over from the old days. It needs a total renovation or maybe to be torn down and put up new office space in its place!

I do want to apologize for our running out of Shiner Bock. As a popular local brew (not to mention my personal favorite) we typically have plenty of it on hand. Also, we are just now rolling out a new menu in the DEN. So I invite you to come back and try it next time you are in town.

Lastly, the video you saw on travel safety was produced by the American Hotel & Motel Lodging Association and is currently played in thousands of hotels all across the country. It was produced to help guests be cognizant of their surroundings when traveling. For instance, you would be surprised at how many of our guests’ leave their guestroom doors open while visiting friends down the hallway or leave laptops in the front seat of their car or truck.
Frisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The recent upgrade has made this hotel a very very inviting place to stay.
Rooms and bedding are above par.
Staff is more than accomodating.
Breakfast buffet includes fresh fruit along with eggs and all thr trimmings.
We will be back !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Houston Marriott North? Share your experiences!