“Just the basics....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #182 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Just the basics....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here 1 night in June. It was close to home and as our AC was out and temps were over 100 we had to spend the night in a hotel. The property used to be much nicer but now the exterior is run down. Crumbling and missing concrete fencing all around the property, dead shrubs, etc. A minimal investment could really spruce up the exterior. Room interior was just ok. It too is overdue for an upgrade. Tired looking carpet, bathroomarea showing a lot of wear. AC unit was difficult to control for comfort. Sometimes it ran too long and sometimes not long enough to keep it cool, probably a thermostat issue that needs to be addressed. Toiletries are very basic. On the upside the front desk staff was efficient and friendly. The morning breakfast was unappealing. Instant coffee machine, the usual thawed out frozen pastries and some really unappetizing looking frozen omlette looking things. There are a number of close restaurants that are within walking distance, (Ihop, Chili's, Chuy's, Mamacitas, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Chipotle, Applebee's and others. Property is about 1 block off of Highway 290 and Highway 6.
Do not plan on returning here again and would not recommend to friends until this place is upgraded. The rate was good, about $80 with AAA rate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed in the Jacuzzi suite. The first room they gave us had cracks deep enough the water was slipping out in the Jacuzzi tub. The shampoo and soap shelf was torn from the wall, and we were less than happy. I requested a different room (because when you make internet reservations no refund). We were given a key to a new room. The Jacuzzi tub was not cracked, so we moved all our stuff into the new room. We turned on the a/c and left to find dinner. When we came back, the room still wasn’t cool, the stuff we put into the refrigerator was room temperature, and the air conditioner was very loud. After defrosting the refrigerator and fiddling with the a/c a little we got everything working again, but the a/c was still very loud. Additionally the room was not as clean as you’d expect, and I just felt the total experience was very poor as a customer. For the over $100 per night price tag, it was simply ridiculous. I won’t be staying with Best Western again anytime soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

First of all the location sucks! It right by a freeway and railroads. All you hear is chooo chooo! All night! I came with my wife and kids, and we found this hotel online. The rooms look really nice online but thats all a joke. My microwave was not working and the toliet was running all night. The TV sucked! Now days its a ordinary thing to have flat screen tv's in hotel rooms. My room had a old box tv. The A/C in my room was making alot of noise. The next day I went to have breakfast which was decent, but I have seen better in other Best Westerns. The lobby was nice, and modern. On the other hand the staff was rude! The owners wife if I can recall, Rita was very rude. I told her about the rooms probelms and then I told her about the televisons and how they should change the outdated sets. She just went off on me telling me its not my buisness to tell her what to do. I was like really! I checked out the next day, and told myself im never coming back. I do NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
Elgin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Was booked a room in this hotel as it was close to my companies offices. As a previous reviewer said all the rooms open out onto a communal landing which is easily accessible from the street, when I was being given my room the desk clerk said "oh we have given you one of our best rooms" what rot, they are all the same. The rooms are just ok, TV/Fridge and large bed but I felt a bit uneasy about the the rooms being open to the outside world. The big negative and the one which means i won't be staying here again is the railway line behind the hotel and the "freeway" next to it. At stupid "o" clock in the morning the freight trains come down the railway line behind the hotel and blow their horns as they cross the main road, I thought it was the 5 minute warning the first time I heard it! Also the breakfast is decidedly dodgy with a cold omlette and emaciated sausages and damp Bran Flakes. Needless to say I won't be back, especially as there is a huge choice of hotels in Houston.

Room Tip: No rooms are quiet so take some tranquilisers!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Rockwell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

On a recent trip to Houston, Tx. I stayed at the Best Western Windsor Suites! The staff was very helpful and friendly! The rooms were nicely kept and very spacious. The hotel grounds were well maintained as well! All in all I would return and stay with them again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This very convenient Motel-type Hotel was recommended to us by another Trip Advisor member for my twin Grandsons' Graduation and we could not have been more pleased.Large room with king bed, full bath/shower, full fridge and microwave Good breakfast, excellent pool[part in shade] and Launderette Several restaurants on site. Might be bit near the main road for some, but we did not find this a great problem because of the convenience of being only a couple of miles from my son's" full house" in Copperlakes. Plannning return visit here in 2 years time for my Grand-daughter's Graduation.

Room Tip: Don't unload your luggage at reception,ask for a ground floor room and you'll park right out...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Upon arrival at hotel, front desk clerk was agreeing with a temporary "resident" and bashing the management of the hotel. This should have been my first clue. There are no elevators and all doors open to outside. Asked for 1st floor room and finally, after much conversation, was given a room. Upon entering is looked clean, cigarrette stains by the bed on the carpet could be overlooked. Got my stuff put up while on the phone with my business associate, then.... pulled the sheets down. It was the nightmare you don't want to see. Although the bed had been made up, the sheets were "well" used. So gross. Same front desk clerk refused to bring any new sheets, told me housekeeping was gone, no other rooms available and I'd have to change them myself. Walked to office for sheets, got back to room, wrong size sheets, back to office. Same clerk. Can't find manager. Doesn't know where sheets are. She can't change them because of a bad back.......... and so on. Clerk then told me how all the hotels there have the exact same problem. I don't even go into the "internet" that come to find out, didn't exist......................... So, easy to say this is not a hotel I would EVER go back to.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Windsor Suites? Share your experiences!