“Fabulous night even though I got a pint all over me!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #608 of 7,276 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Fabulous night even though I got a pint all over me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were supposed to go to the country and western themed restaurant next door with artificial bucking bull but it was closed so went here instead. Apparently this guy started making "mash" for other breweries years ago as since it was alcohol free, he could take it over the state lines. He soon realised he could make his own beer and opened his own brew pub.The choice is superb and I went for their red beer ( quite a few times actualy that night) which was like a cross between an English bitter and a pale ale and was very moorish. The place was packed and this was a Wednesday evening. Service was top notch from a young man that looked like Nicholas Cage (may have been the red beer though) and the house Burger was huge even by US standards. I ate for quite a while then gave up and what was left was basically a normal sized burger. They delivered my final pint of red which came in a fluted pilsner type glass. I picked it up and the base was neatly left behind on the table whilst the contents poured over my lap from the rest of the open bottomed glass. Nice! Great night though and they offered to pay for my dry cleaning but I said not to bother. Nice to be offered though,

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Holt, Michigan
“Better than I expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had nice dinner at BJ's restaurant on Bay Area Blvd, near the NASA Space Center. My shrimp tacos were nicely flavored (i.e., not too spicy for this girl from the north!) and the Pazuki dessert was rich and delish. My mojito was more on the tangy side and less on the minty side but still refreshing in the 90+ degree temperature.

My dining companions enjoyed their dinners, too. The Chicken Fried Steak got a thumbs up (and a clean plate) courtesy of my friend from Texas and the Chicken Alfredo was good, too.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“MEH!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This place was very average I would even say a bit below average. I had the Piranah Pale Ale after tasting their Hopstorm IPA. Both didn't have the IBU level one would expect from an IPA or what they classify an American Pale Ale. For a micro brewery they are still catering to the InBev crowd. I went for their bacon cheese burger and what a dissapointment, would you like a little burger with your bun! Burger was ghostly thin resulting in not much char grill flavor since you can't cook it that long to get a nice crust to it. THick is it thin is out when it comes to burgers. The burger is lettuce heavy and had a giant circumference meaning you get a whole lot of bun with your burger a dreadful fail on the burger scale. My wife had the Scampi pasta and cooking techniques need to be taught to the line cooks. Pasta was way overcooked mushy and swimming in pasta water almost like someone didn't drain it properly. Not enough oil mixed into the pasta and a bit more parm cheese would have made the dish a bit more palatable. Guess this is what you get eating chain food. This place pretends to be a Cheesecake Factory except with a brewery and MEH food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Charles is a great Manager, Scott is cool too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Unfortunately a pair of prescription glasses was left by us, on our table when we left. Realized it immediately and re-entered the restaurant without leaving the parking lot. The table was clean and they were gone. No one had glasses, we were out of luck. Left phone number with manager, Richard. Followed up immediately at website using "Contact Us" form and Scott Sharr at BJ's contacted me. Then Charles at BJ's contacted me with texting photos of a couple pairs and phone calls back and by noon we had our presription glasses back. I have no idea why they weren't available upon requesting minutes after leaving but with effort and care by upper management, this had a very happy ending. Charles exhibited determination and concern that the night manager may have missed because obviously the glasses were in the restaurant.

So back to the meal. The service was below standard in that drink refills as well as new beers at the surrounding tables were lacking. The question before ordering a $17.95 Thai Salmon was encouraged and not a word spoken as same waitress took the non-eaten dish from the table. We do not recommend the Thai Salmon.

The Crispy Fried Artichokes served with lemon garlic aioli were excellent despite lacking the parmesan cheese sprinkle, $4.25.

The Shareable Appetizer Flatbread California Club Pizza was pretty awesome. A little overpriced at $9.75 considering it had minimal toppings and NO cheese at all but great flavor.

The Tuscan Tomato Bisque was excellent!

The Girardelli® double chocoate ice cream with a dark chocolate square was excellent!

So summary, pretty awesome except we do not recommend the Thai Salmon and the service was poor. Definetely don't leave personal items behind and if you do, seek Charles the manager for the serious effort to get results.

The hostesses that didn't greet us but did walk us to a table were zombies.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Service at BJ's is terrible. After waiting over 10 min. for a table in a half empty restaurant my table was almost given away due to another hostess. Then before I had 2 bites of my salad, the waiter brings my entree. When I asked if he could keep it warm while I finished my salad, he said he could not. After my salad, I start on the entree and almost immediately the waiter comes by and asks if I would like dessert. I said no and so he leaves me to eat only to come back after 5 min. to ask again if I would like dessert. I told him that I wasn't even close to finishing my meal so how would I know if I have room for dessert. The waiter then tells me that they are told by management to ask about dessert right when the meals starts to remind the patron to save room. I told him that management just cost him his tip. I finished my entree and immediately left. I will not be returning to this restaurant again.

Visited May 2013