“An Older Crown Plaza,But still nice” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #46 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Fort Myers, Florida
“An Older Crown Plaza,But still nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed here during a road trip as my dad is a news reporter and speaks around the country and also traveled with some other family members....we checked in to find a similar look like Embassy Suite hotels with the exterior in the interior corridor thing.The staff was helpful and kind,when we go to the room it was clean though very invisible stains on the wall and some broken corners,I could tell the hotel was old but it was still nice and the sheets were clean!.Would stay again!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We arrived late. On the road for several hours with a 1 year old and a 3 year old. The only thing we wanted to do was rest.

Walking in you can tell the age of the hotel. It was obvious it was a converted Embassy Suites. OK.

Check in was welcoming. They helped us right away. Very friendly.

Now one of the reasons I chose this hotel was the breakfast buffet -- very helpful when traveling with the family. Especially a 1 year old who eats like a full grown man!

This could have been my mistake but I thought I booked the room rate with Breakfast included. Apparently not. Mistakes happen.

Take note: The front desk confirmed the rate I booked online at the Crown Plaza website was the same cost as the rate with breakfast included, but for some reason it was not the included. They couldn't change my rate because I booked from their website but said they'd look in to it. OK, thats fine.

Another note: If you buy at a cheaper rate online, you can add breakfast at check in for a discount. I paid for breakfast the first 2 days.

Yet another note: I eventually figured it out myself. Cancelled my reservation via the 1-800 number, and made a new reservation that included breakfast. Maybe someone at the front desk could have made that suggestion. But now I know for next time.

Just tired from travels I wanted to get up to the room and start the hectic process of putting two kids down for bed before finally laying our heads to sleep.

It's a suite. That's another reason why we chose the hotel. We were staying for 5 or 6 days so we wanted the space. And we were very familiar with the layout considering it's an old Embassy suites.

So we got the kids set up, all tucked in.

Then noticed the door didn't lock. Not cool.

Called down the front desk. After some hustle they got us a new room on the same floor.

OK, understand that happens -- just not great timing.

(Did I mention we were traveling for about 20 days and had a ton of stuff with us for a family of 4.)

If you book at this hotel and arrive at your room you'll notice the age.

Few things... bugs. Mostly spiders. Our chair was broken. Remote didn't work. There was a door to a cabinet that was broken and not attached. A lot of things that added up.

We eventual cancelled the rest of our stay and moved to a different hotel for the rest of our time in Houston.

Sorry -- but can't say we'll be back.

Room Tip: Older hotel so be prepared. It shows is age. The rooms to the front of the hotel face the highway.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HIG110, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank You for your feedback of our hotel. We certainly value your concerns and will use your comments to improve our internal operations. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in reference to bugs in your room, chair leg broken, remote not working, and door to cabinet not working. We are appalled to hear of such numerous problems during your stay. I would not be happy either if I had to experience these problems. We have copied each of our departments in order to eliminate these issues from happening again, We have also spoken to our Front Desk in reference to the breakfast issue to resolve this in a much better fashion. We know you have several options when traveling but we feel confident these issues have been resolved and will not occur again. We hope you will give us another shot and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Front staff and environmental staff was nice to deal with. The room was clean. We stayed in a room with two rooms. It had a living room and a bedroom. The bathroom was small. The breakfast was amazing. It had a buffet and then you could get a fresh waffle or made to order omelet. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HIG110, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for such kind comments regarding your stay with us. We encourage all of our guests to share their experience of their stay at the Crowne Plaza Suites Houston near Sugar land. We will certainly share your comments with our entire staff. We hope to serve you again.

Sandy Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is a crown plaza that can always set an example on customer services in houston. They have everything that you will need for a great stay. I like the front desk agents and how personal they are with there guest. This is a good place to stay whenever you are around that area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing comments of your most recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will share your comments with our amazing staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very nice welcome from the front desk, easy check-in, and pleased to be given a room on the 7th floor, which is designated as a quiet floor for the hotel. Very nice lobby and public spaces, and a nice room. Comfortable furnishings and bed, and easy to control thermostat. Moderate noise from freeway in bedroom. Dined off the Asian menu, and it was good, and reasonably priced. Good business center, and wireless was adequate in room. Area around hotel is not great, but security seemed adequate. So... what's the "but"? At around 5:30 p.m., I was taping a presentation, and was interrupted by dogs barking loudly in the room next door. This is a "pet-friendly" hotel, and the website states that animals are limited to first floor rooms, and I certainly did not expect them on the "quiet" Executive Level floor. I called the front desk, and they were apologetic, and said it would be handled immediately. I left the hotel for a dinner appointment, and was surprised/disappointed when I returned a couple of hours later and (again, while trying to tape part of a presentation) was interrupted by the dogs again. Fortunately, they stopped, but clearly the situation had not been handled by the front desk. Either the pet policy is not being followed, or it is not being enforced. The only other issue during my stay was an overhead vent outside the bathroom which dripped periodically (I assume from either the heavy thunderstorms, or AC condensation). Nice hotel, and good value, but disappointing handling of the dog/noice issue.

Room Tip: Request rooms away from freeway. It is noticable in sleeping area of rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We certainly apologize for the inconvenience you were caused due to dog barking in the quiet zone of the hotel. We do not allow pets on this floor and have retrained our associates to prevent this from happening again. We hope to become your hotel of choice and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

CHICAGO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were in Houston for a wedding and this hotel was suggested and we were very pleased. We were surprised by the size of the room and the look. It was our very first time staying with this chain.The staff and service was excellent. We would definitely stay again. We enjoyed the shopping area, that was walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and any floor would be fine. It's a great hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HIG110, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you soon on your next visit.

Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I haven't been here in awhile. I have to say, things are looking beautiful! Some new paint, and the lobby smells wonderful!
The Staff is so amazing! I always feel right at home here! The front desk has made some changes since my last visit, and just like the previous managers, the new managers are absolutely wonderful! Kareem trains them well! Kudos to you Kareem!
The bed was comfortable, as usual. The room immaculate! The food delicious! The lounge very calming! This trip I was greeted by a LOBBY MANAGER! He gave me a drink ticket so that I could relax after my long drive...all I can say to this is WOW! Just when you think this place has Customer Service Mastered, they shock you with even MORE wonderful Customer Service! Thank you John Paul for the awesome lobby greeting!
I know I have reviewed this Crowne Plaza in the past, I am compelled to write a new review with each visit, as this is by far the very best hotel I have ever visited, and my visits just keep getting better!
Thank you once again, Crowne Plaza! Michael, Kareem, John Paul, Jackie, Rebecca, and the rest of your staff, for providing a safe, comfortable, home sweet home environment to your customers, I for one GREATLY appreciate it! I am checking out today and am looking forward to my survey! I LOVE MY CROWNE PLAZA!

Room Tip: Any room on the 8th floor, which is the designated quiet zone!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
WOW!! Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. We certainly will share your comments with our entire staff! We love to hear our guests enjoying and sharing their experiences with us. We hope to see you soon on your next visit. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Kareem Settles

Been to Crowne Plaza Suites Houston - Near Sugar Land? Share your experiences!