“Unusual food with good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grove

The Grove
1611 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #187 of 6,949 Restaurants in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night Food, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Crawford St.
Fort Worth, Texas
“Unusual food with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I loved the location and the service at the Grove. This place has a beautiful view of Discovery Green, and it is in a great location between the convention center and several of the downtown hotels. I enjoyed the food. The field greens salad was quite good, and the chicken was roasted to perfection. However, be warned that the menu features dishes with spices that you might not be used to eating.

Charlotte, NC
“What a revelation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I was told that I couldn't go wrong eating lunch at The Grove. Boy, was that an understatement. My grilled chicken breast with roasted corn was s-o-o-o good. The chicken BLT that a dining companion had was equally enjoyed. I enjoyed the food so much that I wished I had a few more days in Houston just to eat again at The Grove!!

Somerville, Massachusetts
“Super delicious coastal fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Had the shrimp and grits and shared a few apps - the macaroni and cheese, the broccoli rabe(?), the meatballs - and then shared dessert - peanut butter cake, maybe? Everything was delicious and the ambiance was perfect. Lovely setting.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Delicious Food and Great Bartender”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a coupe of drink the first time and the bartender was awesome. Very nice and good sense of humor.
We ate there the next time and I was surprised how excellent the food was. I was weary about ordering steak but the hanger steak was to die for! Unbelievable flavorful and tender. The Latino biscuit and the chili on top was excellent. So much so that am actually going out of my way to bring my wife to dinner next trip to Houston. It can get to premium on the prices but I didn't think it was over the top and a nice selection of food and beverages.
The Shiraz they had was a Washington grape and so good, price was right as well. I will say the service a little slow at first but it was fairly busy. I highly recommend The Grove.

Houston, Texas
“Great Service, Great Atmosphere...Not so great Entrees”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I dined here on Valentine's Day Eve and while our waiter was excellent, the food was just mediocre. I ordered the flattened chicken because the description had lime juice and corn (two of my favorite things in life). The chicken was so dry that I decided to leave it on the plate. The corn was excellent and so were the two sides that we ordered ( the roasted cauliflower and the wild mushroom mac n cheese). I would return to this place strictly for the atmosphere and side dishes. :)

• Visited February 2014