“Help! Red Pepper Flakes Have Invaded My Food!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grove

The Grove
1611 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 7,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Crawford St.
Houston, Texas
“Help! Red Pepper Flakes Have Invaded My Food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

OK, I have been here many times, and had reasonable tasty food, but this meal was downright strange. The appetizer array was 50% ok - people enjoyed the fried pickles... However, the local cheese plate was only so-so for $15 - $5 per cheese...we got 3, and they were average.

I ordered the salmon salad - whoa! A one-inch by maybe 3 inch portion of fish, on an over generous portion of what I think was curly endive - which really should be an accent vs the main green - "rat lungs" is what my kids call it - accents of carrots and a few other crunchies... But the over-generous portion of red pepper flakes was overwhelming, and as I looked around our table they were on everybody's food! I gave up, scraped what I could off the small cut of salmon, and abandoned trying to eat the salad. Should have sent it back, but we were pressed for time.

Hello?! Spicy is good, but I had a gut-ache all afternoon.

On previous visits, I have had this dish, without the heavy handed peppering. Perhaps a new trend? Hope not.

The portions are of good size, and all would have been well but for the attack of the flakes... Egads! Beware if you order here and make sure to ask to omit them if you are sensitive...

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Expensive but tasty lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Grove was a nice respite from the tradeshow and an easy walk from the George Brown Convention Center. The restaurant has a relaxed, quiet vibe and the service was excellent and non obtrusive. I had the petite filet ($19) and my co-worker had the salmon salad ($17). Both were very good. With coffee and tax the bill was $50 for lunch.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, WA
“Houston Marathon Weekend Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

we stopped by The Grove after packet pickup at the GRB for the Houston Marathon. Beautiful place, a bit upscale looking up we were comfortable on our racing gear. Food was amazing, service very quick, and the roasted almonds are amazing! and perfect for us runners. My friend had the roasted chicken in a bed of roasted potatoes (hello carb loading!) and I had the grilled skirt steak. Very Good!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

What a nice place to go after a long day at work. Food was excellent. I had the cornmeal dusted red fish with brussel sprouts. Drink menu offered a nice eclectic variety and the service was great. Would go back the next time I'm in Houston.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Just for drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've only come here to beat the heat and have a prickly pear margarita and another margarita with ginger...crisp, cool, potent, and numbing. A great way to keep your cool in the Houston heat.