“Awesome place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Bay Resort

Save Saved
You added Horseshoe Bay Resort to your Saves list
Horseshoe Bay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   200 Hi Circle North, Horseshoe Bay, TX 78657 (Formerly Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horseshoe Bay
Houston, Texas
“Awesome place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is a beautiful resort located on Lake LBJ. The resort had everything to offer. Hotel, condos, beach, marina with boat rentals, pools, bars, and more. The food was good and had a few different places you could eat at. The only down fall was the price. It is a little expensive. The staff bent over backwards to make you happy. And they were all so polite. I will definitely go back again.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
HorseshoeBayResort, General Manager at Horseshoe Bay Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear mustangkay1,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. We appreciate your business and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our associates are always looking for opportunities to go above and beyond for our guests - it's their special touch that keeps our guests coming back year after year. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again soon.

Warmest Regards,

Mark Jeffrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really want to love Horseshoe Bay resort, but it was so bad my last visit. We have been previously and went back but never again. We had the worst lunch service at Lantana restaurant. It took two hours, there were 6 of us. They messed up my order. Then charged us a 20% automatic grat. I am a good tipper, but this service was SO bad I wasn't going to tip. It was THAT bad. There is no automatic grat policy listed anywhere at the resort.

Housekeeping left things all over our room and did a bad job cleaning. Our outlets didn't work in half of our lodging (we had a suite), the AC didn't work and they brought us a fan...that didn't work.

We put an order on our door prior to midnight for breakfast room service the following morning (following the directions)...they never picked up our order. In the morning we called it in and waited 20 minutes past the quoted wait time. They forgot one meal (that we were charged for) and didn't label our decaf and regular coffees (we have a person with a medical condition that won't allow them caffeine). Oh and breakfast was cold, except for the fruit accompanying the meals...that was warm.

Honestly folks, that doesn't even cover my complaints but I am sick of griping about this place and I am sure you are tired of reading it. Someone is mis-managing this resort or they are running low on cash. Bottom line: Something is going wrong and I won't go back...I suggest you follow my lead.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
HorseshoeBayResort, General Manager at Horseshoe Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear mmooney2012,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. We strive to deliver top notch service to our guests on a consistent basis but we obviously fell short during your stay. The details you describe here are certainly not acceptable and we will use your feedback to make necessary improvements. We appreciate your business and hope you will reconsider your decision to not return. Let us show you the exceptional customer service we are known for as a AAA four-diamond resort.

Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at Horseshoe Bay resort in Friday, August 22nd. With 11 other friends we dined and played golf at 2 of the courses during our stay. I had high hopes for our annual fantasy football draft weekend at the resort, but was unfortunately very disappointed with my stay.

The facilities are average and the golf courses at the resort are nice, but the customer service (from the valet / reception, to the restaurants) is some of the worst I've ever experienced.

Considering the price, the resort certainly doesn't seem to prioritize the customer experience.

In all honesty, there are several other Texas resorts that will give you a better experience.

Don't waste your time...

- world traveler / avid golfer

Stayed August 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First let me make two qualifications. We booked this trip at the last minute AND we stayed over Labor Day weekend.

I am not a snobby traveler. I've stayed at more motels than hotels in my life but once or twice a year, my wife and I like to go someplace a little more exclusive for some relaxation and pampering. This was by far the worst 4 Star resort we've ever been to. It started at the check-in area. There was one woman working the counter and there were three people in line including myself. She spent 12-15 minutes on the phone and on her radio directing "traffic" while we patiently waited for her attention. After 20 minutes, another gentleman arrived to help out and we finally got our room keys after more than 25 minutes.

We booked a room that they described as a "One Bedroom Paseo Apartment". The description said it had a living area with a pull out couch/bed, a separate bedroom with a queen bed, a balcony/porch and a "kitchenette". This was the most expensive hotel room I've ever had but we thought it was worth it because it seemed pretty private and exclusive. Well, it turns out that the "kitchenette" consists of a sink and a mini-fridge that wouldn't even hold a 12 pack of coke cans. It did have a small round glass table to sit at but we never used it. The living room was pretty big and it's a good thing because it was the only area that didn't give us claustrophobia. The bedroom was so small that you could touch the walls while lying in the bed. My wife almost had a panic attack every night when it was time to go to sleep. Our room was on the first floor so no balcony but I'm happy to report that our "porch" was a concrete slab outside of the tiny bedroom overlooking a bush. It was fairly late (about PM) by the time we were able to check in so, after picking up two dead roaches from the living room floor (I didn't mention them to my wife) we went to grab some food from one of the three dining facilities at the resort.

One of the three dining areas was closed (at 9 PM) and the other required reservations (we'll get to that one in a moment). We walked in to Lantana (the only restaurant available on the resort on a Friday night) and we noticed that the place was mostly empty (bad sign) but we were hungry and tired and just needed some food. After looking at the menu (which was pretty limited) we opted for the buffet and a cocktail. The buffet consisted of four different types of BBQ'd meats, beans, potato salad, etc. It was TERRIBLE. I've had better BBQ at a gas station (no offense to gas stations). They made up for it by charging us $21 for each buffet. I had a whiskey on the rocks for $14 and my wife had a gin and tonic for $13.50. Yikes!

Despite our first impressions, we were looking forward to enjoying the pool the next day for some relaxation and sun exposure but we were shocked to find that there were no lounge chairs available. Turns out they are NEVER available unless you arrive before 9:30 AM to claim your spot. There is no adult only pool on the property (unless you are a member) so be prepared to defend yourself against the hundreds of loud children showing off their newest cannonball techniques. You are not allowed to bring ANY refreshments to the pool area (or any other public areas of the resort) so you are at the mercy of the resort and they know it. The food is very expensive and the drinks are even worse. I WILL say the lobster rolls were delicious and I probably would have paid double for one even though they cost more than $18 to begin with. The pool areas were VERY crowded and the water was visibly unclean due to the sheer number of guests, sunscreen, sand, etc. You could expect a 10 minute wait at the poolside bar (none were swim-up type bars... you had to get out of the water and stand in line on the hot pavement) to get a drink but you pretty much have to go to the bar because there aren't near enough waiters/waitresses available to order a drink from your seat (or toweled covered spot on the ground as the case was). The pools were so crowded that we opted to just wade out into the lake to cool off. Unfortunately, there were literally hundreds of boats and jet skis flying by all day long making big waves and a bunch of noise so that was a battle too. Not much relaxation happening near the water whether it be at the pool or the lake.

I thought there was a chance to salvage the resort experience and it rested upon the dinner reservations I had made at the Yacht Club. Many of the reviews I saw said it was a "must do" while at the resort. Their website said that the dress code was resort casual and that nice shorts and a button down, collared shirt were acceptable attire during the summer months. No cut-off's t-shirts or baseball caps allowed. It was going to be 99 degrees every day so I did not pack slacks or dress shoes for the trip but had some nice golf shorts, a button-down shirt and $60 Reef sandals that I've worn to much nicer places than this. I wasn't the slightest bit concerned about being under dressed until, prior to our reservation, we overheard another couple discussing the dress code as being even more restrictive than the website indicated. We were pretty excited about the dinner prospects so we decided to double check with the Club in person. I was told that NO shorts were allowed. Neither were open toe shoes for men. This was pretty upsetting to me as our reservations were in less than two hours. We made a hasty trip to a department store 20 minutes away and purchased a pair of slacks and stupid looking deck shoes because we were determined to dine at the vaunted Yacht Club. Upon arrival at the restaurant at 7:30 (for a 7:45 reservation that I had confirmed earlier) I was told that they couldn't find our name on the list. At this point, I was pretty irritated but they made arrangements to get us seated fairly quickly anyway. We made out way to the bar area for some more overpriced drinks. While we waited for our table my wife and I both noted that more than half of the men were wearing cargo shorts, flip flops and/or tee shirts. I saw several dozen baseball hats too. I asked the hostess what the deal was and was basically given a shrug as a response. I was more than a little irritated at this point having spent $65 on unnecessary clothing and shoes but at least we were about to eat a fabulous meal right? Well, not so much... I had a steak which was supposed to be cooked medium but turned out well done. It was a filet though so I just rolled with it at this point. The mashed potatoes were served at room temperature and the asparagus were rubbery and inedible. My wife had a wedge salad that she said was the worst she'd ever eaten. In fact, she didn't eat 2/3rds of it. How do you screw up a wedge salad you may ask yourself? I don't know but the dressing was terrible and the lettuce wasn't actually a wedge but rather chunks of un-appealing looking vegetation. I tried to get the attention of the Yacht Club manager several times but he was chatting with what appeared to be regulars (members?) and he never looked in our direction. So... we had the steak, the wedge salad, a dozen oysters and a $40 bottle of wine and it costs us $200. Oh, did I mention that they automatically add 20% gratuity for almost everything at the resort? That's right... 20% automatic gratuity for two people. I've seen automatic gratuity before but never for parties of less than 6-8 people. Outrageous.

When we returned to our room after dinner, we noticed that there was no parking available anywhere within 1/4 mile of our "apartment". I called the front desk and they told me that I should probably just valet park and walk back to the room (thanks for the help). Luckily I have a big 4-wheel drive suburban so I just hopped onto the curb and just parked on the sidewalk. At this point we were actually fine with the possibility that we might be asked to leave the resort. We even discussed checking out of the hotel and heading an hour down the road to a different resort but we had an appointment the next day for some spa services and it was too late to cancel that without being charged for it so we decided to stay.

This brings me to the only redeeming part of our stay at Horseshoe Bay Resort and Spa and that is the Spa itself. The spa services were FANTASTIC. I booked a couples massage and it was very relaxing and perfect in every way. Honestly, it was the only time either of us felt able to relax during our three day stay at the resort. We spent more than and hour at the spa building after the 50 minute massage in their 2-3 person hot tub because it was the only quiet area of the resort we could find. I should mention however that the massage services were pretty expensive and they too added the 20% automatic gratuity to their fee. At least they made me aware of it when I made the appointment which was very thoughtful of them.

My wife an I enjoyed each other and made the best of it but we will NEVER go back to this place. Even if the cost was cut in half, we wouldn't go back. We spent a couple of thousand dollars over the long weekend including meals, rooms, spa services, etc. and we were treated with indifference at virtually every opportunity. If you're looking for a nice adult resort in the Texas Hill Country, this shouldn't make the list.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in the Paseo Apartments. If you're still determined to stay at this resort, stay in...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HorseshoeBayResort, General Manager at Horseshoe Bay Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Scott D,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. Although your stay was during a busy holiday weekend, the experiences you describe here are unacceptable and are definitely not the norm for our property. Horseshoe Bay Resort offers an enjoyable stay for everyone, whether you're traveling as a family or a couple looking for a romantic getaway. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your couples massage, delivered with a level of service we expect from our associates across the resort.

We appreciate your business and hope to earn it back again for a second chance to experience the genuine hospitality and top notch customer service we are known for.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We just got back from Horseshoe Bay Resort and had a blast! There's so much to do there! It's a great place, the staff is just not well trained enough for a 4 Diamond Resort.

They have a man made beach on the lake which is nice and maintained and you can access the lake from there. There are several swimming areas in the lake roped off by bobbers. There are several pools, one with a gorgeous flying eagle sculpture, and a 27 person hot tub! Hot tub has lots of tall carved rock in it, so there are several private spots. DJ was playing great music and they served drinks and grill fare by the pool. I asked one of the waitresses for a drink and she said she couldn't serve me because she was under 18, but (pointed to another waitress) she will be right with you. Waited 15 minutes and that same lady passed by. I asked again about a drink. She brought someone over soon after and they took my order. Just took 20 minutes to order. My teenager and his friend ran around the pool area, went on the shuttles by themselves, and had a great time. It felt very safe.

We had dinner at the Lakeside Grille on the outside patio. Mary was our server and she was brilliant! Food was alright - in our group we had caeser salad, chicken tenders, lobster roll sandwich and a hamburger along with 2 cocktails and it was $120. Seemed high to me for what we got.

Yacht Club wasn't open on Sunday, so we didn't get to go there.

Tennis courts were right behind our apartment. Everyone seemed to be having a good time on the courts. You get one free hour with your stay and can book more if you'd like.

They have a couple of wineries within 20 minutes of the resort. They have tours they'll take you on and you can do that in like 3.5 hours - 6 passengers for about $80/hr or 11 passengers for about $120 per hour. They have longer tours - about 5 hours - that will visit more wineries that are a little farther as well. We couldn't do it all in one trip and had the teenagers with us, so we'll save that for another time.

You get a coupon booklet upon check-in which is nice - free fitness class, hot dog, ice cream, drink at the Yacht Club, $20 off watercraft rental, all kinds of stuff. Nice perk.

One night the kids went to the Waterfalls Activity Center as it was supposed to be Teen Night. They were going to have glow in the dark golf, paddleball, free play on some video games, food and drink for $15 per person. They went, but said it was lame. There were adults there holding 2 year olds and not many teens & it'd been going for an hour. They didn't stay.

The miniature golf is over by that area and those grounds are so pretty as well. It's more like a miniaturized real golf course than like putt putt.

We went back to the Waterside Activity Center as a family later, though, and had fun. You get a free hour of bike riding for 2 people per stay. (Staff aside: The girl at the check out counter was very uptight as we didn't have the bike riding certificates (the lady at check-in forgot to put it in our packets) and she could NOT let us check them out without it. I asked if she could call the front desk and verify. She could not. She, again, must have the certificates in hand. Sheesh. We had to walk back over to the main lobby and the Asst GM was really nice about it and gave us 4 cert's for all of us. He said maybe he should give me a stack so that other people who hadn't received them could get them, too. No kidding. She was like the soup nazi over those tickets. We went back and rented bikes for all 4 of us and rode around.) The grounds are amazingly beautiful - very nicely kept up. The bikes weren't maintained well and the seat kept tilting back so far as to be vertical and I couldn't ride it. Hubby and I went back and turned ours in. Kids rode around and had a great time. We played paddleball and jenga for a little while and cooled our heels. They have beanbags sitting around in several corners, tables and chairs, air hockey, and video games. Beautiful parrots in cages around that area. The sweetest one is by the main Tower pool - she's got white feathers and loves for you to scratch her neck. The gray one in the lobby knows 350 words! She says hello a lot. :) The two caged McCaw parrots by the activity center are hysterical and screech and dance at one another.

The resort is way spread out and they have shuttles go by all the different locations about every 10-15 minutes. The trams can not get down the streets in the apartments, so you'll be doing some hoofing if you stay in the apts. There's not enough parking in that area for everyone, so we had to park our car on the other side of the main resort - a "hike" from the apartments.

There's a betta fish on the counter at the lobby when you check in. My son's friend says you know it's a fancy place when they've got fish on the counter. HA!!

S'mores at the fire pit on the Great Lawn were fun as well. Kids threw a football around in the dark. There's a huge life size checker board and horse shoes over there as well.

They have basketball courts and you can reserve a basketball from the Activities center. Just didn't get a chance to do it.

Hubby called from lunch at Lakeside Grill, this time by the lake - very nice, and they told us all watercraft had been reserved for the weekend. Then, we shuttled over to the Marina the next day and they said they had plenty of availability. The kids went on the "shark ride" (banana tube that looks like a red shark) and that was the biggest smiles we'd seen on their faces the whole time! Sierra and Jeff were rockstars! Great service. Jeff really gave the kids an awesome ride, the boat went really fast which I loved and the great joy to the kids was how many times they fell off the banana boat into the lake. That was their favorite thing they did the whole time.

We also went pier fishing which was a blast! They have a little coin operated food machine over by the piers and I think the fish are used to getting fed there. They have the rods, reels, bait - the whole nine. Oh, bring a glove! They don't have those. It's catch and release and getting some of those fish off the hooks without getting finned was tricky. The kids and I both caught several fish with only one box of worms. It was so fun!

There's a boutique shop at the Marina with nice quality, cute clothing/towels. Gift shop in the center and an ice cream and candy shop on the other side. We had ice cream and candy one day after one of the shark rides. Nice way to cool off after being in the sun.

I reserved on the phone and upgraded to the Paseo Apartments from the main Tower in the hotel. They told me on the phone it'd be a $25 upgrade fee based on the rate we paid. I got a confirming e-mail with $50 upgrade charge on it. I called back, they said it was a typo and sent another e-mail stating the $25 charge. When I got our checkout statement, it had the $50 charge on it. I called and let them know what happened and he told me they were in the middle of a staff change and he had to log into the computer, so could I hold. I did. He came back 5 minutes later and said now, what happened? I had to repeat the whole story all over. He did credit me back the $25. It was a hassle, though.

The one bedroom apartments have kind of a suite set-up in 600+ sq. ft. There's a fold-out couch in the living area, along with a TV, chair with ottoman, desk/chair, kitchenette with sink, microwave, and a small little fridge. Separate nice spacious bathroom, plenty of shelves to put your stuff in, nice amenities (shampoo/conditioner/lotion, cotton balls, Qtips, etc. Just nicely thought out), huge tub/shower combo. We had a separate bedroom with a full size bed which seemed a little small. TV in the bedroom, lots of outlets for charging the dozens of devices we all have. They do allow pets in the Paseo Apartments. I think it's a $75 fee. Just an option. We had someone stay with our pooches at the house. It's no longer a Marriott property, FYI.

My son tells me this is too long. This is stuff I'd want to know if I were going to a place. Hopefully, it's helpful to my fellow Trip Advisor peeps.

Room Tip: Don't want a lot of walking - stay in the main Hotel Tower. Plan out your stay before you go. Th...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Dear H2sMom,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay overall. Although there may be some room for improvement in certain areas of your stay, it sounds like you and your family had lots of fun in Horseshoe Bay! We're happy to hear you took the time to experience most of our signature amenities including the Yacht Club pool and enormous hot tub, full-service Marina on Lake LBJ and Whitewater Activity Center and Putting Course.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon, perhaps for one of our Fall Wine Tours in October.

Red Oak, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I went to Horseshoe Bay resort for our anniversary. Everyone at the resort was wonderful. We played golf, rented jet skis, received spa treatments and enjoyed time dining at the Yacht Club and never had one bad experience. We got to the resort a little early and they let us check in. They accommodated us with every request we had. I think the new owners have gone above and beyond to make this a wonderful place to visit. I definitely recommend the Horseshoe Bay and Resort.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristy T,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. We are delighted to hear you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you chose Horseshoe Bay Resort to celebrate your anniversary. Although we dissolved our partnership with Marriott at the end of last year, ownership has remained the same and we continue to deliver the same top notch service our guests know and expect.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort for your next anniversary, if not sooner.

Warmest Regards,

Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a nice resort... The pools are great but, it's spread out. So plan ahead they have a shuttle or stay close to the pool. Do your research ask the front desk for an event calendar. The room we booked was pricey and a little small there wasn't a king bed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HorseshoeBayResort, General Manager at Horseshoe Bay Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Cyndee G,

Thank you for taking the time to review Horseshoe Bay Resort. We are glad you enjoyed the pools during your stay and that you took advantage of the complimentary shuttles between outlets. In addition, we offer a Resort Experience Coordinator, located in the hotel lobby, who can help guide you through the various amenities and activities taking place at the resort during your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Mark Jeffrey

Been to Horseshoe Bay Resort? Share your experiences!