“Excellent Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99/5 Moo 2, Pae-Klaeng-Kram Road, Chakphong 21190, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chakphong
Goa
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Newly opened,but still one of the best properties,
Fascinating indian food for a hotel in thailand where the main cuisine is thai.
Minor communication problems,but the staff are doing there best to respond to queries.
Over all an excellent experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
Nonthaburi, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Overall:
First off, when a brand new hotel is on soft opening, it is common knowledge that guests checking in during this period will enjoy the benefit of room rate reductions while at the same time must be prepared to face some minor flaws or discomforts that are bound to arise. That said, our stay at Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa was quite satisfying.

The hotel situates in a private area far away from Rayong town, with Novotel Rim Pae Hotel and Kim’s restaurant about 1.5 km away. It stands side by side with Phuphatara, a high price residential condominium. There are plans to build a shopping mall on the street side between the two properties in about 2 years time. By then, hotel guests will have wider choices of places to eat and shop. Right now they need to depend on hotel restaurants or Kim’s.

Rayong Marriott has two wings with an open-air lobby on 2nd floor (1st floor = ground level). The hotel is disabled friendly. There are ramps at entrances to public areas like lobby, lounge bar, restaurants, fitness center, spa, kid’s club, etc. While a view from the lobby would stun you, soon you’ll realize the second downside (first is being remote) that it’s too sunny all day long!!! Facing the sea, to your left is East and at your right is West, with no other high rise buildings or tall big trees on both sides. Hence the stunning swimming pools (beachfront and lagoon) face direct sunlight from about 7.30 am till 6.00 pm during summer. Westerners will have great time tanning themselves, but us Asians?...uh-uh!!! I particularly felt disappointed because it’s such a perfect long and wide pool with equal depth of 1.20 m (some part only 0.90 m) and warm water, an excellent condition for osteoarthritis exercises! Instead of fully enjoying this wonderful pool, I can manage only from about 1700-1830 where sunlight is at its minimum. [FYI, before accusing me of being such a fuss, I’m on medications that compel me to avoid direct sunlight.]

Activity areas are separated from main buildings by big lawn and yoga hill. There’s a walkway down to these areas, about a hundred to two hundreds meters, good for walking/jogging exercise back and forth. Should you need to go down there past 10 am, my advice is to request a buggy service because the sunlight is really, really strong. The last part of the walkway to the beach comprises of tiers of steps, a bit troublesome for guests with mobility problems. This ends on the same platform where the kid’s pool and kid’s club are. The beachfront pool and Fish Bar restaurant are further down by a step or two. This is rather a tricky part at night since there’s no light provided nearby and the oak wood-colored floor becomes even darker (my adult daughter almost tripped over). The better way is by buggy service to kid’s club and walk down from there which requires only few steps. If you want to stroll along the sandy beach it is best to use the walkway passed the small amphitheater and through the main swimming pool where there’s a slope down to the beach. The beach itself is rocky on one side and sandy on the other. It’s not pristine. There’re some trashes washed ashore during high tides which remain near the banks. The rest of the beach is walkable. It would be nice if management could assign more staffs to clean these trashes daily. Spa is not open yet. There’re bicycles for rent at 250 THB for 2.5 hrs which cannot be used within the premises (for safety of other guests). You have to bike outside. Aside from that and swimming pools, there’s no other leisure activities for adults to enjoy. A game room with air hockey, table tennis, mini billiards, foosball, etc would be great.

Room:
Starting type is Deluxe, Mountain View while the rest are ocean view. The panoramic landscape seen from all ocean view rooms are spectacular indeed. Each room has what I would define as “standing balcony” as it is rather narrow. At the time of my stay there was only one small stool on the balcony. I was informed that in future there’ll be benches as well. To sit back and relax while enjoying the captive view is quite inconvenient as the balcony also gets direct sunlight. But don’t worry you can very well savor this striking panorama right from your bed.
I got upgraded to a Premier room which is a corner room and I fell in love right away. The room is spacious with separate roomy walk-in closet. Plenty of storage shelves and drawers and there’s even an empty space left – enough to put up a dressing table which at present there isn’t any. Bathroom is pretty big with trendy style but what make it stands out are the wooden/stained glass sliding doors with lock! This gives you complete privacy in style, even if you share the room with your friend or colleague. It has both bath tub and separate shower box that shares sliding door with the toilet cubicle, the latter comes with healthy faucet too. Water pressure is strong but the hot/cold signs are too small and can easily be missed. This would be a perfect bathroom of my dream had it not got smelly caused by the drainage system. Many other rooms experience the same. Hotel management is aware of this awkward problem and measures are being taken to rectify the condition by reinstalling the toilet in every room. Since guest occupancy is quite high, they can only replace the toilet in 2 to 5 rooms a day. In the meantime air fresheners will have to be sufficed.

Dining:
There are two main restaurants: C Salt on 2nd floor of the main building which serves all day dining and Fish Bar at the beach front serving seafood for lunch and dinner. Then there’re bakery shop by the name of Java+, next to C Salt which offers 50% price reductions for mini cakes and pastries between 6.00-8.00 pm, and The Lounge at lobby for drinks and snacks. Breakfast buffet at C Salt has quite a spread with plenty of seats both inside and outside on balcony. At its entrance there’s a mini board listing recreational activities of each day, with Fitness Center staff cheering you to sign up for these activities. I had one dinner at Fish Bar and would have to concur with other reviewers that service was very slow. Dinner at C Salt took lesser time and tasted better. The hotel should hire more chefs for the two main restaurants.
Guests with own cars can drive to Kim’s restaurant, opposite the Novotel Rim Pae, as an alternative but service there is slow as well.

Service:
As I said earlier, the property is brand new and so are most of the staffs. It’s true that many of them are less experienced but their eagerness and determination to service are unquestionable. Check-in during long weekend at any hotels tends to take longer time, especially so if the hotel is newly opened. We also experienced the same dilemma but Khun Supalack at Marriott Member Corner handed the matter well. Aside from less experienced staffs, I thought the hotel is understaffed in housekeeping department too. If the hotel doesn’t hire more staffs, there will certainly be more complaints when it officially opens.

Pros: brand new, open bathroom offers stylish privacy when needed, quietness, disabled friendly, 3 big swimming pools with equal depth of 1.20 m, strong water pressure, strong wifi signal, universal electric sockets that fit most plugs

Cons: far away from Rayong town, limited eateries nearby, understaffed, not many big trees, pools under direct sunlight all day long, limited indoor leisure for adults, not many loungers at main pool, no flag signals indicating swimmable sea

Summary:
We shall have to wait and see how this debutante pans out. Whatever lies ahead I’m pretty sure that this resort would not fail the flagship quality set up by Marriott, the long lasting renowned hotel chain.

Room Tip: Ocean view room, high floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Like most other reviewers have mentioned, this hotel is still under their "soft opening" phase but they seem to be getting better. Service is far from perfect but the staff do genuinely try their best. I just came back from a 3 day visit and really enjoyed my time there.

While it is true there is nothing close to the hotel that is walking distance (too far and too hot) I guess one needs to have the right expectations before coming here. If you're looking for a place with lots of night life, shopping, sight seeing, then Rayong is not the place for you. This town is a small, sleepy place - nothing like Phuket or even Hua Hin. If you're looking for somewhere to get away, disconnect and "chill out" then this place will suit you just fine. Most guests simply spend the entire day lounging by the pool (lounge chair turnover is very low!).

The highlight for me was the fact that it was so quiet there - the busy holiday weekend had just passed (Songkran) when I checked in - the hotel was only at about 30% occupancy. The large pool never had more than 10 people in it at any given time - heaven!

The rooms are exactly as others describe them. I had an ocean view room which was nice but to be honest I didn't spend a lot of time in my room. I will say though that I couldn't get hot water in my shower - lukewarm water only. An engineer came to look at it on my first day there and fixed it, but only marginally. The phone on my desk didn't work, but the one next to the bed was fine. The handle next to my bathtub already had rust marks which I thought was interesting given its a new hotel but other than that the room is perfectly fine ( very strong AC).

Power did go out on my first night there - around 6am. It went off 3 times within the span of 5 minutes. The generators kicked in after it went out, but the lights would not turn off after that, and there was no AC so I decided to just get out of bed and head down to breakfast instead. Power returned to normal after about 30-45mins.

There are 2 pools, one of which is an extremely large salt water pool - which I preferred over the one closer to the beach. People do tend to go to the pool to save lounge chairs as soon as they wake up it seems (by 8am half of the chairs by the pool near the beach are already saved with towels on them). In some cases the people do not come back to their chairs until a few hours / half a day later, which I don't think is fair to the other guests who may be walking around looking for a chair.

The spa wasn't ready yet, but when I asked the concierge they recommended a spa that is close by (bua sawan spa) which they helped me book: a car comes to pick you up from the hotel and then takes you back afterwards. I did a 2 hr massage for 450 baht. Not bad. Is only a 5 min ride away from the hotel.

The staff are friendly and eager but level of professionalism and English still needs improvement. Fr example one night when I came back to my room my phone was blinking indicating I had a message: when I called down to ask for my message, the staff couldn't understand what I was asking, and asked me in return, "what is the message you are asking for?"!? Needless to say that conversation didn't go very far.

All in all though, it is a nice place to go to relax and it seems to be very popular with guests from Europe! I hope to go back again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Frankfut, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Upfront I want to mention, that the property reviewed is still in the so called "soft opening phase". Therefore prices are super low....and not everything is runnig smooth yet or perfect.

For my yearly trip to Thailand I found hat Marriott has a new property that looked like an interesting alternative. From BKK international it took me over three hours by rental car (but it was a local holiday - normaly it should not take more than 2.5 h).

When I finally go there at 2.30 pm my room was not ready. This was caused by lots of guests checking our late, caused by the holiday. After waiting for 30 minutes I was offered a temp room to store my luggage and to change dressed for the pool, which was a generous offer from the GM who was present in the lobby to welcome the guests.

After another hour my room was ready and I was upgraded from a standard room to an oceanview corner room with some extra windows to to the side. Even though the room was new, one of the three phones was not working at all (no big deal if you have two more) and there was a huge brown/wet spot on the ceiling of the bathroom. It felt wet and muddy....and will fell down sooner or later, if no one takes care of this. Any info from my side was ignored till check out.

The balcony is not huge...but big enough. The only problem here is, what is it good for....as there was only one small wooden stool to sit on! So dont even think about enjoying a sundowner on your balcony.

According to the hotel hompage at the time of my booking, the hotel should have a Spa onsite. However this was still under construction. According to the recently updated homepage it is expacted to open in May 2013.

There is also another building onsiste, right in the middle of the Marriott garden. This however is still in the building process, with no visible construction during our stay. It belongs to the property next door(!) - four high towers and a lot of villas. Fenced with a high concrete wall! Their pool is not very well kept and green, while the Marriott pool is crystal clear blue. I was told that they can use the adjoining Marriott pool as well. So just imagine these four high towers busy with people....finding a sunchair might not be that easy any more. I realy wonder what this has to do in the middle of the hotel Garden....

The infinity pool is huge but the wall right behind the chairs makes it difficult to walk behind them...and makes the place look very narrow. The half finished building is covered with plastic canvas. Due to the storm the last days they were partly ripped off.

Sunloungers is another interesting point....they do have a lot at their two pools...but people intend to block them with their towels early in the morning. The hotel does not take care of this problem at the moment, even though I was told that they are planning to place signs out, not to reserve chairs with towels. Staff will be advised to remove towels and property (like old books etc.) if not used within a certain time frame. I realy do appreciate this step, as it will help all guests to find a nice spot at the pools.

Service is currently a problem at the restaurant as staff is still in training. . For breakfast we got our coffee the first day when we were finished eating...it was old and bitter ....the replacement took another 15 minutes. On the second day they ignored our which for coffee completely....until we left the restaurant. On the third day however, it was perfect, with not the slightest point to complain about. This is a clear indication that they are fixing the small problems from the start one after each other.

We had dinner once...a green curry with chicken and steamed rice with shrimp. Two traditional Thai dishes. It took 45 minutes to get them....even though the restaurant was nearly empty (we had dinner late at 9pm). They brought us some bread and butter right at the beginning...but no knive or plate or any other silverware to eat it....this took 30 min and several requests. The menue is very international...to international for my taste...as the choice of Thai dishes was very limited. We have not tried to eat here again, but if breakfast service is not perfect, I believe that dinner is now working better as well.

The beach is not what I expacted. Because of the storm the days befoire there is lots of dirt, broken glass, and plastic waste laying around. No lounge chairs on the beach for legal reasons. I would recommed wearing beach shoews when swimming and walking on the beach.

Cleaning the room was another thing that still needs improvement. On my second day my room was not ready when I got back from the beach in the afternoon....on the third day they completely forgot to clean it. I had to ask twice for it....and was asked if I would like to have service now...what a question. When asking for a manager at 7pm I was told that no more manager is available on the premesis - wow!!! Refilling of coffee and creamer was a problem every day. I ended up buying milk and instant coffee in a supermarket.

If you dont want to eat in the hotel, you have to walk a little bit...or rent a car to get around. There is zero nightlife in the area. Not even a massage place on the beach or so. We drove 30 min to get a very good massage at Na Vana Spa (check it on facebook).

One positive thing is the AC that works perfectly to cool down the room.

For those of you that are getting a welcome gift from Marriott (Platinum members and above), Cheese and crackers are the smallest portion I have ever received by Marriott in my nearly 1000 nights I have stayed so far.
Wine is only offered by the glass (one glass of red or white ) and beer was the best selction (2 cans). Also there was no greetings card from the management or so in my room...no fruits or anything like this, like it is common in Asia Marriott hotels and mostly regularly in other Marriott /Renaissance properties worldwide.

The building itself is very modern...it could be anywhere in California or Florida. If you are expacting local architecture, this is not your place. It is a modern concrete structure with lots of glass and light. It is modern....but not typical Thai.

With more training for the staff, this place will improve a lot and will surely become a nice resort within the next months - worth a second try.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Rayong Marriott for 3 days over Songkran holiday (April 13-15, 2013) the biggest and busiest holiday in Thailand. The hotel is new with 250 rooms. The deluxe room was spacious with walk-in shower and a bathtub. The bed was too soft for me so i woke up with a sore back. We (in 3 different rooms) can smell odor from the toilet. I can hear door bell and door closing from across the hall so bad sound insulation. The first night we went there was a blackout because of rainstorm and had to sleep without aircon on even though they had backup generator on but it wasn't suffice. The staff tried very hard to please their customers so I gave them 4 star rating on service. There was miscalculation on my bill at checkout where they overcharged me for breakfast. They took that out but that added 15 minutes at check out. Breakfast was just ok in my opinion long queue at egg station and food emptied quickly had to wait a while for restock. i understand that they have just opened and this was probably their first hugh crowd but obviously they didn't plan well enough. The staffs were running around trying very hard but this shouldn't happen at Marriott, a five star hotel where they usually charge you over usd 200 a night. Had much better breakfast at JW bangkok, JW phuket and marriott khaolak. Had buffet lunch one day and it was so so. Quite expensive though for ordinary buffet lunch (usd30). Food at this hotel was average and, considering the quality, are on the expensive side. They have 2 big pools and kids lap pool. I like the bigger pool with water slides better. I think all of their pools are temperature controlled salt- treated, not chlorine. But a bit dirty maybe because all the holiday crowd were using it. They have good kids club with kind staff and plenty of activities for the kids. The beach wasn't so nice comparing to orher beaches in Thailand.

• Stayed April 2013
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the new Rayong Marriott Resort last week and over Songkran. Great new place and obviously new as they had a couple of teething problems over the weekend. With major storms, the power went off and thankfully this place has its own generator, maybe a little too good though. The lights didn't go off, they actually stayed on. I thought about it for a while and then realised that pulling the key card out of the electric box, you could turn the room lights off. Spoke to the General Manager when I was checking out, who was most apologetic and I am sure he will have the problem fixed quickly.

Good room with enough space to spread out, just like the rest of the resort. The place is on a big piece of land and even with the resort being as full as it was, which was evident at breakfast time in the restaurant, the outside areas were not crowded.

We ate in both their restaurants and the food was very good and the prices fair for a five star hotel. Took a little long for the meals, but the place was full. I have waited longer in other places that have been open longer than this resort.

Would definitely recommend this to others and will be back myself, as I know they will fix the light problem they had and it is better than anything else in that area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was apparent during our one-night stay that they were still finishing the hotel (painters painting, laborers laboring), but that didn't take away from our experience.

The beach is indeed dirty, which was a little disappointing, but we were careful in hopping over the trash to enjoy the water. Once you're closer to the water, the trash is less obvious.

The views from the oceanfront rooms are amazing. The little daybed nook inside of the windows is a nice touch, and that's where the kids spent most of their time in the room. The TV in my son's room was turning itself on/off all night, and the volume would turn up to full blast when the TV was on, but as soon as we let staff know, they replaced (!) it. There was also a weird urine smell in all three of our rooms. I chalked it up to "beach" smell, and just dealt with it.

The property is pretty spread out, but that adds to its charm. We were concerned that with our four children, we would make the stay miserable for others, but the pool areas were so spacious, we didn't have to worry about disturbing everyone else.

The pools are fabulous. I couldn't believe how large the main pool was, and our 5yo must've gone down the slides several dozen times.

The restaurant was about what we were expecting, both in terms of quality of food and decent prices. The service was slow. We always assume that it will be due to our large family, but the party of six that was seated next to us arrived later and received drinks and food faster. Go figure.

Bring your sunblock! Forgot ours and were unsurprised at the exorbitant price in the hotel (again, to be expected).

All in all, it was a nice getaway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor after enjoying a very short one night holiday at our new resort. As with most new buildings we making a few adjustments, modifications and rectifications to some parts of the resort at our fastest and lowest business periods and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Fine tuning our services and processes, from F&B service to frequency of beach cleaning is all becoming more refined each day.

Our goal of becoming a “family favorite” is shaping up very quickly, with children going home exhausted after being amused with our great waterscapes and kids club whilst parents go home well rested at the same time. I look forward to welcoming you here again for your next rest period and giving us the opportunity of providing the service you expect from our Marriott team.

Kind regards,

Richard Wallace

Been to Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!