“I'll Be Back!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gulfway Motel

Gulfway Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in High Island
Gulfway Motel
You added Gulfway Motel to your Saves list
1365 Hwy 124, High Island, TX 77623   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in High Island
joaquin, Texas
“I'll Be Back!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Service was great. Rooms were clean. Restruant was a blast to eat at.(entertainment from customers and help). Rates were very reasonable. I have stayed there over the years, this is the fifth time and I love it. Downhome and friendly, no stuck up noses here.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed at the Gulfway a couple of times before it closed. We were very glad to see that it had reopened. We really enjoyed our stay this time as well. It's very clean, the people are very nice the beds are incredibly comfortable and the AC is like heaven after a long day of fishing. We did not get to eat at the cafe because of it's hours being so different than ours but other than that we had a great stay.

liberty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Well this place was just fabulous . It's a mom and pop establishment , very clean very laid back , and very nice people. You can not beat it for the cost and for the close drive to the beach.

Huntington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband and I went to Galveston on Thursday August 6. We had no kids for the week they where a church camp and we decided to take a day off from everything and go to Galveston and Crystal Beach to walk around to look for sea shells. We had dinner at the stingaree it was worth the money I would recomment this restuant to anyone that goes there. We stay at the Gulfway Motel it was quite. The swimming pool was nice. My husband and I took a late night swim the water wasn't cold like some pools. We had breakfast at the restuant next door, the food was wonderful and priced just right. The owners of the Motel was friendly and kind. I would recommend this motel to anyone who want to say on High Island just minutes from the beach.

Mesquite, Tx.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Absolutely the best place ever to stay on the island! The room was just right, always cold a/c, tv,hot water and plenty of towles. Beds were so comfortable, we would slept 9 hrs. straight! Since this is a older motel, but completely refurbished, it has sound proof walls, We did not ever hear the other residents. Very laid back atmosphere, Becky was always happy and cheerful. No phones in room? Well, who needs them? You always have our cell. My sis-in-law have been going to CB for 14 years....stayed in houses until the hurricane, stayed once at Joy Sands(don't go there), stayed in Winnie, too far to drive to the beach. We felt very safe and well cared for at Becky's. We have already recommended it to several of our friends. I certainly hope Gulfway will stay open. Has everything we need and close to the beach. See ya again at end of Sept.!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Well,
The people seemed very nice on the phone. At first, they were very accomodating and even offered to get up early the next day to make coffee before the advertised hours for their continental breakfast: coffee and cinnamon rolls (7-10). The pool was not very clean, and was hot all the time, as if it had been heated. The doors to the rooms were all standing wide open when we got there, and there is a locked entrance between every two rooms. The room doors do not automatically lock when you close them, and there is only the knob and a frail chain lock for security. The commode was old and drained very slowly, requiring you to hold the handle down to flush, and then flush at least once again. Whatever you do, DO NOT:
1. Mention that anything is wrong with the room, or you will be met with sarcasm, a dogmatic argumentative attitude accusing you of lying, hostility, and a threat to not allow you to stay any longer, i.e., "Oh, you want to stay another night? I thought your bed wasn't made and your toilet wouldn't flush! And you want to stay another night? We were so pissed off that my mother and I had decided not to let you stay another night!"; or
2. Have an emergency there. I had a car problem which stranded me 6 hours away from home, after checking in and staying one night. I asked the motel owner who to call to come and check my vehicle and go to the nearest town and get a battery if that is what I needed. Her response was, "I don't know. I can't help you." I repeatedly begged her to try to come up with someone. She promised to be to my room in 20 minutes after checking her garage to see if they had a battery I could use temporarily. (I am still waiting.) After calling my insurance company, the representative gave me a few names of tow services within 30 miles. I called the nearest one in Port Bolivar, A1 Towing, and the very nice, compassionate man on the phone told me there was a "very good" tow service FOUR BLOCKS from the motel where I was, and he was a very nice man and would "help me out."
That man: Chris, of Cardinal Towing, in High Island, came, free of charge, and checked out my car. He was very sympathetic and could not understand why the owner of the motel had not told me about him. He said, "I have a flyer with my name, number, and services listed on the front door of the motel. I eat breakfast here every morning. She knows me. I can't believe she didn't tell you about me!"
The next day, he came and charged me only $75 plus the price of the battery, had made two calls to my location, and had charged the original battery and made a 45-minute round trip to get the battery for me, as well. I could not believe he was so kind!
Many hours of agony and frustration, and even fear, could have been avoided if the owner of the motel had just told me the name of the tow service there, or the man's name. High Island is such a small community that everyone knows everyone, especially when they see them every day at the same place, at the same time.
Since this is the only motel in High Island and there are only two others between there and the ferry to Galveston, the choices are very limited there.
One of the other motels only had rooms on stilts, and I was with an older lady who could not tolerate 14 steps up to the room (Joy Sands in Crystal Beach). The other motel is owned by people who speak only broken English and are extremely rude on the telephone. Their motel, Crystal Palace, looks nasty even from the outside, even I you could get past their pompus attitude.
Would I recommend this motel or would I stay there again? Sure! It's the only one within 15 miles of there! And given the other two choices, I think this one will have to do.....Just remember the two "Don't Dos" and maybe you'll fair better than I did!

• Stayed June 2009
Jacksonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We have stayed at Gulfway Motel multiple times over a 7yr period. We were disappointed when in 2006 they closed for a period of time. But are pleased they have reopened this year.
Helen and Becky have always made us feel at home and treated us like family. Millie would cook breakfast and keep you in stitches, she has since retired. We enjoy the fact that the location is quiet and not covered up by tourist like Galveston, My husband enjoys surf fishing while I sun and read a good book. If we choose to venture to Galveston for the day we can.
Yes there will be love bugs and mosquitoes, but you have to remember you are close to a salt marsh and the beach, water harbors mosquitoes. Bring some off if you are out at dusk or after dark. We will be making reservations soon.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family

Been to Gulfway Motel? Share your experiences!