“Great Mexican food & service!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Helotes
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Three decades and two generations of experience and passion go into every smiling face and mouth-watering bite that make-up El Chaparral. Our family history is etched into everything we do. In 1972, our parents, Charlie and Mary Garcia, followed their dream to a small eatery in Helotes, Texas.
Marquez, Texas
“Great Mexican food & service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We ate there on a Friday night, no waiting. The guacamole was fresh. We had the spinach enchilada and puffy tacos among over dishes. There were four in our party and we all enjoyed our meals fully. We had drinks of Margaritas and Shiner Bock, doesn't get much better.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, NC
“Great Mexican friendly place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had the chicken fajitas and they were excellent for lunch. Very authentic and great place to eat coming back from the Hill country and it is not too far off 1604 Loop. friendly and quick service

Visited September 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Mexican Food but watch the salt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I love to eat here. The chips and salsa are fantastic as is the bean soup appetizer that is gratis. The drinks are also really tasty. The whole experience is really enjoyable and a fun atmosphere for families. The staff is courteous and attentive and the prices are reasonable, although they have gone up in recent years. The only ding, and it is a big one, is the soups. The tortilla soup and fideo came loaded with salt and I mean loaded to the point that they were inedible. I am not a salt pansy and would not imagine that I would complain about salt content, but the remarkable amount of salt in these dishes was inexcusable and I will not order either of them again. But everything else on the menu is terrific. My wife loves the mole enchiladas and I like everything else. This place is well worth the visit.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
texas
“Great Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The best cheese enchiladas in town!!! Love the outdoor seating. Gets really busy on weekends, so best to go early.

Visited August 2012
Calhoun, Georgia
“Best Mexican I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'm a major fan of Mexican food, particularly Tex-Mex, and I must say -- this is the greatest Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. Pretty much everything's great, but the fajitas are probably the best thing here. I've eaten at plenty of Mexican restaurants in the San Antonio area, and this one's definitely the best. Highly recommended,

• Visited July 2012