“Invisible Waiter” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
“Invisible Waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me back to Grey Moss Inn to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary. Had a lovely table outside and a waiter who was very new or did not study menu or specials for the evening. I asked about seafood in particular and was told no seafood available except the salmon and lobster on menu. A nice couple was sat at the nearby table who had an excellent waiter who took very good care of them and I overheard him recite the specials for the evening that included three seafood items!! Waited forever for our waiter to return and when asked again about specials he was very confused. Then our wine glasses ran dry and no waiter to be found. We sat for what seemed to be forever before he reappeared. It was that way for the entire meal. Seems the tables around us were receiving excellent service but we were left by ourselves. Everything we ordered was wonderful, but the service was not.

Visited November 2013

57% Recommend
Chatham, Canada
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We drove into the Grey Moss Inn parking lot and the whole place looked very quaint. We were early so we sat in the car and watched the deer prancing around. It was wonderfully peaceful and was a great start.
We decided to eat inside as I am not very fond of bugs and the inside dining room was very nice, ecclectic with lots of things to look at while awaiting for service. Our server arrived and took our order, we had both decided on an appetizer and it did take a bit of time to arrive but as things tend to be cooked to order we did not really notice.
Again we waited rather a long time for the entre and I was a bit puzzled because the restaurant was not very busy and we had a 5pm reservation as we did not want to drive back to San Antonio in the dark. My husband's steak was perfect, my pork tenderloin was not. It was tough. They make me another one. By the time it arrived my husband had finished his steak. The second pork tenderloin was not much better than the first. Probably just a bad cut of meat. We asked for coffee and dessert and although our coffee came quickly our dessert did not. By then we had spent over 2 hours on 2 courses and we just asked them to box up dessert.
My husband was terribly upset that things had gone wrong as he had been wanting to take me there for a long time.
It happens. Good meals I realize take time but 2 hours was excessive; Not a great evening. The food did not warrant the price

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Fabulous Food in The Hill Country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had heard about how wonderful The Grey Moss Inn is, for years, and it lived up to all the stories and then some. The setting in the middle of The Grey Forest, with Spanish Moss draped oak trees and the old stone building set the charm as you approach. The staff was very friendly and prompt to great us upon arrival. There is a nice courtyard, that would be perfect for dining on warmer nights. The inside was very cozy and warm, with lots of wood and chandeliers. The wine list is amazing, not to mention extensive, there is something for everyone. The menu offers the best of steaks and seafood, with great sides. The chef's specials were great, I had the baby greens salad with candied walnuts, blue cheese, pears, and prossciutto. Of course, my ribeye was cooked to the perfect temperature and was amazingly seasoned. Don't for forget to save room for dessert, the chocolate pecan pie is worth all the calories ;-) Defintely a romantic place, more for adults then clidren. I give the place 5 stars and 2 thumbs up, I'ld go back anytime

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rockport, Texas, USA
“Great destination restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

When we called for Saturday night reservations for 10 the restaurant told us they had a very large group booked for the evening but agreed to an early reservation. The Grey Moss inn is several miles out of town so we allowed time to not be late. We were met in the parking lot and the made us feel like the only guests they had for the evening. They thanked us for being early but told us to feel free to stay as long as we liked. They even gave us a short tour of the restaurant. Our waiter was great and even gave each couple separate checks. All during the evening the manager checked on our table and told local stories to entertain us. After the meal everyone had great things the say about how well their meal was prepared and how great they loved the location.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio
“So very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We went here for our 40th wedding anniversary because everyone said how romantic it was. WRONG!

The seats are very close together so you're pretty much sitting right beside a lot of strangers and you can hear every other couples conversations.

We sat next to the fireplace. We were so close to it that we were about to burn up!

The food was fair and the service was fair.

Not anywhere close to being worth the price we paid!!!

Very, very disappointed -- will never go again.

P.S. Told the manager about our concerns and he didn't care.

• Visited December 2012