“Had a Great Time!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Dallas, Texas
“Had a Great Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

As many others have mentioned, this is geared for kids, it is not a luxury resort, but it isn't a Motel 6 either. The lobby is impressive - the entire decor really does the "Lodge" theme up nicely. We arrived on a Saturday around 1 pm, stood in line about 10 minutes, but checked in fine, and our room was available already.

We had the KidCabin, which is a queen bed, a little alcove with bunk beds and a daybed, and a fold out couch. For our family of 2 adults and 3 kids ages 6-8, this was perfect. My only request would have been a door on the kids' area. The beds were a bit hard, but nothing we couldn't sleep on. The A/C worked fine, and there was a mini-fridge and microwave that worked ok. My only complaint was that the lighting was terrible, even for a hotel room. The bulbs were so dim, I could not read comfortably even sitting right next to it.

We spent the first afternoon in the indoor waterpark. The chlorine was strong, and by the end of the day our eyes were burning. But the temp was good, and it was clean. Even though there were a lot of people, there were only short lines, and you didn't feel "crowded".

The next day, we had the breakfast buffet at the Loose Moose Cottage - we bought a package when we made our reservations, and for our family it was $40. Full price would have been $54.75. We thought the buffet was great! We had the made-to-order omelets, biscuits and gravy, fruit, and they will make waffles to order if you ask them.

We hit the outdoor park, which opened at 10 am, and had a great time. It tends to feel more crowded to me, but by noon we were done with the sun anyway, so we moved inside. Throughout the water park, I was *extremely* impressed with the lifeguards - they were very alert, attentive, and actively doing their jobs, but they were polite and we didn’t witness any “powertrips”.

You can stay at the waterpark all day the day you check out, but I never saw any locker rooms, just restrooms. Obviously, the floors were wet, and it didn't look like a great place to try to change clothes.

We ate dinner at the Camp Critter Grill, but that was disappointing. The lemonade and sodas were watered down, and the menu was very short - not much to offer. The food was just so-so - we'd have done better to go off site. There are several restaurants and fast-food places nearby. We ate at the PizzaHut Express onsite - 3 individual pizzas were about $18 - not cheap, but about what we expected. 24 oz Gatorades at the pool snack bar were $3 each.

My kids did the MagiQuest thing and had a blast. It is pricey - $20 something for the wand and another $15 to load the game, but worth it in my opinion. I could have done without climbing 47 flights of stairs over 3 days, but the kids were having a great time! My recommendation would be to do it before the waterparks close, because then the lines for various “quests” get longer.

The gift shop was not horrible on prices - a beautiful adult T-shirt was $25. The swim shop was a bit pricier - kids swim goggles were $8, but the employees there were extremely helpful. There is also a "Sweet Shop" downstairs with excellent ice cream. Don't bother with the fudge, though.

Overall, we had a wonderful time, and would definitely go back again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Waxahachie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Our Family recently visited Great Wolf Lodge and absolutely loved it! It is very kid oriented and with lots of activities. The outdoor and indoor waterparks were awesome. My little boy age 5 enjoyed the Rhythm of Nature Bedtime stories. The food in the restraunts were a little pricey but we found the Camp Critter on the 4 th floor had the best baby back ribs in our area! We actually ordered a full racked and shared! I would suggest that you go off the hotel premises or bring your own food in! We packed snacks and drinks and was grateful we did. We loved the room and we stayed in the Kid Kamp suite our children loved it. We did find the beds very uncomfortable but we slept anyway, you are exhausted from all of the activities. We will however, will return yearly!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, June 26, 2009
Sounds like your family had a GREAT time at the lodge. The KidKamp is a really fun suite. We try to provide food that will meet almost anyone’s budget; however, you’re welcome to bring in your own food. We provide mini-fridges and microwaves in every suite. We are looking forward to your return stay.

Until then,

Jack Bateman
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Stayed 3 nights here during the week. The draw here is obviously the waterpark and other activities for kids. Water park is very nice, not overly crowded, never had to wait more than 5-7 minutes for a ride and even that was a rarity. Lifeguards seem very alert to what they are doing and there are a lot of them. If you can't handle hearing a kid scream and throw a fit every now and then without giving disrespectful looks to both the kid and the parents, then please go somewhere else. A 3 year old who has been swimming all day without a nap will sometimes scream all the way back to the hotel room, so get over it. If you can't handle kids running and screaming in the halls, go somewhere else. Everything was clean. The beds were awful, the pillows were awful. The magicquest thing was pretty cool I thought for young kids. Ours really enjoyed it. It's tiring as you have to go all over the hotel looking for clues, but it was fun for them. The arm bands are great because it also serves as your room key so you don't have to worry about keeping up with that. You can also charge any and everything you want with a scan of the bracelet, so basically you never have to carry around room keys, cash, wallet, etc. Note: There is no room service at this hotel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dallas,TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

But the pool outdoor pool was fun. Plan on leaving the grounds for meals. The buffet was nasty, and for $20.00 for an adult, it was not worth it. Drive a few miles and there are many places to eat. The beds were like rock, and we only escaped the noise in the hallways by turning the AC fan on high.

Kids loved the water and that is the most important part. This is Chucky Cheese with a pool. The water smelled really bad, and probably due to the over crowding. Gross..

Austin area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We are a family of 4...and came with another family of 4. Our children are between the ages of 11 and 5. We honestly had a great time! Our kids played so hard, that they were practically falling asleep on our way to our rooms in the evening.
We loved how the rooms were set up. It gave the parents a little privacy, while the kids felt like they had their own "place."
I guess our only complaint would be that the food is very expensive. The breakfast buffet is an easy 50 dollar bill (not including tip) for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children.)
An ice cream cone for a family of 4 is about 20 dollars. The bar and grill on the 4th floor isn't the greatest - and it's pricey. We're talking 14.00 for a salad. Drinks are pricey too.
We brought a cooler with drinks in it...but if I had to do it again (and I probably will)...I would pack food too. We did eat outside the park...not far at all. Lots to choose from.
"Nothing is free" was a topic of conversation we had in the elevator with another family.
We just laughed it off. The important thing is...The kids had a blast! And we did too.

• Stayed June 2009
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

As I read people whining about their loud stay, I chuckle. Of course it's loud, it's a kids resort! My children had an absolute blast and I loved the fact, as a parent, I didn't have to shush my kids all the time! Yes kids run up and down the hall playing the "wizard" game but that's all part of vacation. Yes, people slam doors but if you've been at the water park all day, such as us, you sleep right through any noise because you're so exhausted it doesn't matter! Anyway, we loved the Great Wolf. The staff was very friendly, the lines for the water slides didn't take more than 20 minutes (at times there were NO lines) and it was Memorial Day weekend! I don't know what others ate but I thought the food was very good! Especially at the pool snack bar and it wasn't any more expensive than anywhere else. The restaurants were pricey but it's worth the money, not having to load up the kids and travel. The arcade is lots of fun and bigger than I thought it'd be. If you are looking for a KIDS vacation, this is the place to go.

dfw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

My family and I have been excited about the Great Wolf Lodge opening in our area for a couple of years now and finally planned a special occasion trip to celebrate our twins’ 4th Birthday celebration (along with our 9yr old). I’m an extremely busy single mom of three with a full time job, but felt it was imperative that I make the time to share our experience with you. Upon check-in, the day after Memorial Day, there were only two front desk attendants so the line was long and slow. When an attendant was ready for the next guest…they wouldn’t call the guest, but rather would just stand there and visit with each other or look around, then I actually witnessed one of the attendants throw scissors on top of the counter at a guest when the guest asked if her wristband could be repaired or if she could get another one because it wasn’t working to open her room door (and the guest was being extremely polite). We then were told that the outside area closed at 6pm (the day after Memorial Day?!). There was no food and beverage service outside at all, no pool lounge attendants, no service of any kind…only lifeguards. We only stayed two days, but never, never saw one GWL employee smile, greet us, ask how we were doing, not even a “hi” – nothing. They all looked miserable. We were outside in the pool area and ordered snacks from the outdoor café and frozen drinks from the posted menu. We were told that the other outdoor café was the only place that had frozen drinks and we would have to make a separate trip/order. Then we asked for ketchup for our hot dog and told they were “out” and would have to go inside into the other (third) café to get our own ketchup. At this point, I asked “don’t you think there will be other customers/guests asking for ketchup – aren’t you going to replenish your supply?”…to which the employee responded, “ummm no well our shipment of ketchup didn’t come in yet.” I just laughed and shook my head and went back inside to get ketchup. I then got the kids settled with their snacks and made a trip to the other café outside for the frozen drinks, to discover that that café was closed. I went back to the first café where we got our food and informed them that the café they told us to go to was closed – was there another place we could get frozen drinks….we were told we would have to go back inside the hotel to either the 2nd floor bar/grill or the 3rd floor restaurant. I decided to go to the 2nd floor bar/grill and they were closed! I returned to the outdoor pool area. I stopped to ask another employee where we could get a frozen drink and he told me to go the other (fourth) indoor café…I walked across to the other side of the indoor area – to find that it was closed as well. The next day we venture back to the indoor pool and I was denied entrance by the employee checking wristbands because my wristband was too “loose”. My four year old daughter was hopping up and down because she had to go to the bathroom and the employee told me I would have to go back up two flights of stairs, get back in line at check-in, and have them give me a new wristband that was not as loose. I took all three kids, back up two flights of stairs and marched straight to the guest service desk, told him the issue and that I was very displeased about the incident. If it is a requirement for a wristband to be fastened on the tightest fitting “hole” then you should express that to your guests as check-in and it should be enforced consistently by each employee at each entrance point at all times. Then, to complete our entire guest experience….as we were leaving in the lobby, there was the GWL mascot…the “wolf” hugging kids and taking pics with them. My 4yr old twins were sooo excited to see him and waited patiently behind the three kids in line taking pictures with him (we were last in line). As they went to give him a hug we were told by the mascot’s “helper/handler” that he wasn’t seeing any more children!!!!!!!! That was the icing on the cake – I responded, What? They are the only 2 kids left and he can’t give them 5 seconds for a hug? …to which she responded, “ummm well, okay, but he’s not feeling well – did you want a picture?” (the kids had already given him a quick hug at this point) and I told her laughingly, “No, they just wanted a quick hug for their 4th Birthday”.

I can tell you that we are a very patient and understanding family when it comes to customer service and have taken many vacations/trips all over the U.S. Your resort is great in concept and design; however, the customer service and operational satisfaction that it’s lacking will definitely keep us from ever returning. Our experience was enjoyable due to the fact that we made the best of it as a healthy, happy family….but we were all definitely greatly disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
The Great Wolf Lodge Brand prides itself of providing outstanding guest services. I apologize for your personal experience. It is not what we typically hear from our guests. I hope that you give us another opportunity to impress you and your family.

Jack Bateman- General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas - DFW Airport North Outdoor World
Hampton Inn and Suites Dallas - DFW Airport North / Grapevine
Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Grapevine
SpringHill Suites Dallas DFW Airport North/Grapevine
Super 8 Grapevine/DFW Airport Northwest
No photo provided

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!