“Watch out for extra expenses!” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
spring, texas
“Watch out for extra expenses!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

First, let me say that the hotel and waterpark are a great summer destination for elementary aged kids or grandkids. We stayed in a KidKamp Suite designed to look like the bunk beds were out in the woods. Our grandkids, an 8 year old boy and girl, loved the beds and spent time playing in the room. It was worth the extra money to upgrade from a standard room. The waterpark was perfectly suited for their age level and we could feel comfortable both following
them around or allowing them freedom to roam by themselves while we stayed put in an outdoor recliner by the pool. There are lifeguards everywhere (and our kids are both good swimmers). Now for the problem...... we were not prepared for the inside first floor amusements that you had to walk through to get in and out of the waterpark. These included huge gamerooms filled with video games and a huge moneymaker called MagicQuest that every kid wanted to do. You buy a wand for $15 bucks per kid and then multi-level games where the kids search the hotel for treasures. Our kids insisted on buying game level one, which they completed in 10 minutes. Of course, many additional levels could be purchased at $14 per kid per game but we pulled them
out of there. That was $30 bucks for a ten minute game each. As a grandparent, I was planning to spend two days having fun in the waterpark which was included in the cost of the room, but was not planning to feel trapped into unloading that much extra money. So, just a warning. I would highly recommend the hotel and waterpark. Just keep a leash on your kids and decide ahead of time how much you want to spend in additional food and games.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Spend your money elsewhere. The staff is obviously not adequately trained. Problems started immediately at check in and persisted throughout our stay. The water park was okay but that was it. The magi quest game is lengthy and children must travel all over the hotel to participate --so be prepared to take the stairs as the elevators can take up to 10-15 mins to catch one. I had issues with my bill and a mistake was made (on the part of GWL) and the desk rep was very rude. I have no idea why. Vending machines were broken on our floor. 4 water bottles and 3 sodas cost $24 dollars in the hotel so you might want to take your own drinks!!! If you are unlucky and choose to vacation at GWL, buy the paw pass because hundreds of $ will be spent on amenities.

• Stayed August 2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and providing us with the feedback from your visit! I am saddened to learn of the difficulties you had with your bill and the service you received when you tried to rectify it. If you still have not seen a resolution with your bill, you can contact me directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com and I would be happy to facilitate a discussion for you.

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Rented KidCabin for parents and four 8 year olds. $570/night including taxes and fees. Involuntarily put into ADA room which cuts kids cabin size in half and eliminates on bed. Absolute rip off. Food and staff were fine. Filled out review form GM sent and asked for someone to contact me, but I am sure no one ever will. Will not return. No wonder this company has been in/out of bankruptcy.

Frisco, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had high expectations for the cost, boy were we disappointed. We even had the Groupon rate & it was excessive for what you get. For my family of 6 we stayed in a regular family suite with a balcony. The queen beds were uncomfortable & the pillows were hard, but the fold out sofa was horrible. My 2 kids that slept on it were miserable. Our room was directly behind the DJ for a company event both days we were there which ruined our stay. The DJ started at 3pm & played until 9pm both days. When I say it was loud in our room that is an understatement. I mean we could clearly hear the lyrics to every song & everything the DJ said. My 3 yr old was signing along & dancing in the room. We could not go back to our room to relax after swimming all morning or to put our 3 yr old down to rest. We couldn't even watch tv until after 9:00 because we couldn't hear it. We couldn't sit out on the balcony because it was unbearably loud out there & about 150 people were looking right at us. We basically had to leave our room from 3-9 each day to keep our sanity.

We ate the pizza (it was ok & reasonably priced), the Fireside Grill was pretty good, but the Moose buffet restaurant was horrible. The breakfast buffet was not good (food nor service) and it didn't even include a cup of coffee!! We were charged $2.29 extra for one cup of coffee.

The halls are very long, we were at the end of the hall & it's a hike. The elevators are extremely slow. There are 6 of them but it seems like only one is running. When leaving we waited 7 minutes for one before just taking the stairs.

The water park itself is ok, but we expected more for the cost. The first day my kids were done after 3 hrs & asked "is there anything else?"

Highly recommend a nicer hotel & a day pass to a different water park. This place is just not worth it.

Room Tip: Away from the garden area that events are held in.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Mollee,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your experience with us! I am incredibly disappointed to learn of the difficulties you had with your suite and with part of your dining experience. Please know this is not customary for us and I have shared your concerns with our Management team at the resort to discuss internally.

Guests can request to be on the shorter wing of the resort and on a higher floor. This would help alleviate any ambient noise from the outdoor waterpark area or the conference wing of the lodge.

I hope this information helps you in planning a future stay with us!

Baytown, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went to Great Wolf Lodge because my daughter had cheer camp there for her high school and we had no choice. Our expectations were very high after all we had heard, and based on the $300.00/night we were paying to stay there. Wow...were we ever disappointed! For over $300 night we expected 5 star quality, and you are not getting that at all. I have stayed in Holiday Inns and Best Westerns that were WAY nicer than this resort/hotel. The room is basic, but does have a small refrigerator and a microwave. There is also a safe if it works- there were many people we traveled with whose did not work. The toiletries were extremely basic and low-quality, the towels were low-quality and very small, the sheets were so low-quality and scratchy that we could not even fall asleep, and the pillows were literally like sleeping on a brick slab. Our water was not hot EVER over the course of the three nights, and the first night our room did not cool at all. We did complain to the front desk after the first sleepless night, and after they looked at me with apathy said they would try to fix it.

DO NOT go here if you do not have young children elementary age and early junior high, I'd say. The kids scream up and down the halls at all hours of the morning. There is no attempt from any staff to keep it at a reasonable level. The hallways are VERY long. We walked a longer distance from the elevator to our hotel here than we did from our room at Disney to the central hub of our resort there. If you or someone you are traveling with have mobility issues you will want to request a room close to the elevators. Of course if you do this, be prepared for the noise. The water parks close relatively early- 7 pm outside and 9 pm inside. Over-all the water park is nothing like a Splashtown...it's small. The chlorine is so strong on the inside that the moment we stepped in the indoor water park our eyes started tearing and they did for the rest of the night. If you are one that has problems with asthma, I would stay out of the indoor waterpark.

The food is expensive and just so-so, but if you go early upstairs I believe from 3-5 you can get appetizers for $5.00.

Overall this trip and hotel was a nightmare...I will never go back...it is just NOT worth the money...I would rather stay at a 2 or 2 1/2 star hotel mentioned above for much cheaper! If we have to come back for cheer we will stay at the Gaylord across the street where you get what you pay for, or the Embassy Suites just a couple of blocks away. Either way we will save SO MUCH MONEY and will be in a nicer facility with better customer service!!

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony and if there is someone in your group that has mobility issues request...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your experience with us! I am saddened to learn that your family was not able to get a good night’s sleep while you stayed with us. Please know what you experienced is not normal for us and does not reflect the type of stay experience we want our guests to have.

We have established Hibernation Hours from 11pm to 7am, so if you observe guests not abiding by this, please let us know immediately so a member of our Security team can investigate further.

We constantly monitor the chlorine levels inside the waterpark to ensure we are maintaining a safe environment for our guests. Guests who are sensitive to chlorine are recommended to take periodic breaks from the indoor park, whether that is playing in the outdoor section, if available, or back in their room. This will ultimately allow guests with chlorine sensitivity to play more in the park.

We hope your family will stay with us again soon!

Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed for one night at Great Wolf on 8/15-8/16 in room 6026

Check in:
Check in was quick and efficient. Wristbands that serve as room keys and room charge on the property were great. Makes it very convenient to not need to carry anything around with you. No complaints here.

Room:
Barely above average. Think older style business class hotel and you are close. I think for $500 per night, I was certainly expecting more. It was clean, but definitely showed its age. Shower dripped constantly, sink is in the bedroom, and oddly the vanity is taller than standard vanities - I say oddly because this is a hotel for kids...mine had to stand on a chair to wash their hands.

Hotel Food:
We only did the Moose Buffet... it was overpriced and average at best. Lots of variety, just not very good. Service was adequate.

Hotel Activities:
The kids loved the story time and the dance party. The characters and theme of this place are a little bit vague and are kitschy at best. They have a large animatronic treehouse where the animals sing songs about conservation and mother nature, but I think the message is lost on most of the kids, albeit the shows were all crowded...

Kids:
This is a kid place. There are kids EVERYWHERE. Certainly this is to be expected when going to a place like this. What I did NOT expect, however, is the number of unsupervised kids in the water park and playing the magiquest game. Many parents are using Great Wolf as the proverbial babysitter... not something I would ever do with mine, but know that going in. There are kids roaming the halls, screaming, running, fighting, playing, etc...

Water Park:
The water park is great and is well done! There are lifeguards who were working their rears off to keep the areas supervised. All the waterpark staff we encountered were very friendly and were great with the kids and the crowds.

Overall Impression:
The kids loved it. They had a blast. Our whole family really enjoyed the water park. The rest of the resort fell short of my expectations - primarily because of the cost. $500 per night is steep for a family of four, but I probably would've felt differently if the hotel and resort amenities warranted such a cost - unfortunately they just didn't. We could have stayed at a very nice hotel and attended any number of area water parks for the same or less money. I guess the main leg up here is the convenience of it. I am not sure if I could be talked into staying here again or not. I know the kids loved it, but I think they would've enjoyed any similar water park experience just as much.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! We appreciate your detailed review and I am glad your family had a fun time playing in the waterpark.

We understand that price can be a point of contention for our guests, which is why as a valued repeat guest; you will periodically receive exclusive repeat guest discounts that you can use to make a return trip more affordable! Another way to save money would be to arrive on non-peak days, such as Sunday through Thursday. Our rates are determined by the number of rooms we have available on any given day, so by travelling during the week, we will generally have more rooms available and rates will be lower.

I hope this information will help you plan a return visit soon!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed with my 11 yr old and 2 of her friends to celebrate my daughters bday. They had a fantastic time. We didn't purchase a bday package since it was just the 3 kids. We stayed Fri and Sat. Night. The 2 friends joined us Sat. morning and stayed over Sat. night. They had a blast at the watermark all day Sat. I am beyond thrilled that we spent $150 to have a cabana. Best money I've ever spent. My hubby and I relaxed and read, while the kids played. The hostess for the cabana was great...checking on us frequently. The only complaint was the lounge chairs. Too hard for comfort.

Food: we ate at the lodge grill once and were pleasantly surprised. The food was much better than we recalled from previous visit. Had a cocktail, but it was very light on the booze. The pizza was really god for lunch. The snack bar, not so much. Lastly...the buffet was very pricey for adults @ $20 each...kiddos were only $7!

Room: beds all way to soft. Roll out bed was wakeful...still can't believe the kids slept on it, but they were exhausted. Pillows all way to hard and fat! I like a mushy, flatter one to avoid neck pain in the morning. The worst part was that the room would NOT cool down to an acceptable temp. The thermostat us right next the vent...brilliant, right? Then there is only one vent on one side of the room. With a partition between the sofa and beds, meant only half the room got air. Was so bad we called front desk. They sent up a tech who basically told us that it is always bad. He couldn't do anything about it. When we were leaving, we saw a guest packing up 2 box fans in their car! Too bad mgmt doesn't do anything about it, as it made for a really uncomfortable nights sleep. We likely won't go back because of this.

Fun: we spent a small fortune in the arcade, building "creatures", getting glitter tattoos, doing magi quest etc...but the kids loved it.

All in all...we wouldn't go back. Would have been better off at a proper hotel, with a trip to a water park.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your feedback with us! I am thrilled to learn that your family and friends were able to enjoy the waterpark and take advantage of the private cabanas we offer!

We appreciate your commentary on the AC unit in your suite and I have shared your concerns with our Management team on-site to review internally. Whenever there are concerns like this, please let us know as soon as possible so a member of our Maintenance team can investigate in a timely manner.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!