“Just "OK" - Review should really be two parts” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Lubbock, Texas
“Just "OK" - Review should really be two parts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed for one night at Great Wolf on 8/15-8/16 in room 6026

Check in:
Check in was quick and efficient. Wristbands that serve as room keys and room charge on the property were great. Makes it very convenient to not need to carry anything around with you. No complaints here.

Room:
Barely above average. Think older style business class hotel and you are close. I think for $500 per night, I was certainly expecting more. It was clean, but definitely showed its age. Shower dripped constantly, sink is in the bedroom, and oddly the vanity is taller than standard vanities - I say oddly because this is a hotel for kids...mine had to stand on a chair to wash their hands.

Hotel Food:
We only did the Moose Buffet... it was overpriced and average at best. Lots of variety, just not very good. Service was adequate.

Hotel Activities:
The kids loved the story time and the dance party. The characters and theme of this place are a little bit vague and are kitschy at best. They have a large animatronic treehouse where the animals sing songs about conservation and mother nature, but I think the message is lost on most of the kids, albeit the shows were all crowded...

Kids:
This is a kid place. There are kids EVERYWHERE. Certainly this is to be expected when going to a place like this. What I did NOT expect, however, is the number of unsupervised kids in the water park and playing the magiquest game. Many parents are using Great Wolf as the proverbial babysitter... not something I would ever do with mine, but know that going in. There are kids roaming the halls, screaming, running, fighting, playing, etc...

Water Park:
The water park is great and is well done! There are lifeguards who were working their rears off to keep the areas supervised. All the waterpark staff we encountered were very friendly and were great with the kids and the crowds.

Overall Impression:
The kids loved it. They had a blast. Our whole family really enjoyed the water park. The rest of the resort fell short of my expectations - primarily because of the cost. $500 per night is steep for a family of four, but I probably would've felt differently if the hotel and resort amenities warranted such a cost - unfortunately they just didn't. We could have stayed at a very nice hotel and attended any number of area water parks for the same or less money. I guess the main leg up here is the convenience of it. I am not sure if I could be talked into staying here again or not. I know the kids loved it, but I think they would've enjoyed any similar water park experience just as much.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! We appreciate your detailed review and I am glad your family had a fun time playing in the waterpark.

We understand that price can be a point of contention for our guests, which is why as a valued repeat guest; you will periodically receive exclusive repeat guest discounts that you can use to make a return trip more affordable! Another way to save money would be to arrive on non-peak days, such as Sunday through Thursday. Our rates are determined by the number of rooms we have available on any given day, so by travelling during the week, we will generally have more rooms available and rates will be lower.

I hope this information will help you plan a return visit soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed with my 11 yr old and 2 of her friends to celebrate my daughters bday. They had a fantastic time. We didn't purchase a bday package since it was just the 3 kids. We stayed Fri and Sat. Night. The 2 friends joined us Sat. morning and stayed over Sat. night. They had a blast at the watermark all day Sat. I am beyond thrilled that we spent $150 to have a cabana. Best money I've ever spent. My hubby and I relaxed and read, while the kids played. The hostess for the cabana was great...checking on us frequently. The only complaint was the lounge chairs. Too hard for comfort.

Food: we ate at the lodge grill once and were pleasantly surprised. The food was much better than we recalled from previous visit. Had a cocktail, but it was very light on the booze. The pizza was really god for lunch. The snack bar, not so much. Lastly...the buffet was very pricey for adults @ $20 each...kiddos were only $7!

Room: beds all way to soft. Roll out bed was wakeful...still can't believe the kids slept on it, but they were exhausted. Pillows all way to hard and fat! I like a mushy, flatter one to avoid neck pain in the morning. The worst part was that the room would NOT cool down to an acceptable temp. The thermostat us right next the vent...brilliant, right? Then there is only one vent on one side of the room. With a partition between the sofa and beds, meant only half the room got air. Was so bad we called front desk. They sent up a tech who basically told us that it is always bad. He couldn't do anything about it. When we were leaving, we saw a guest packing up 2 box fans in their car! Too bad mgmt doesn't do anything about it, as it made for a really uncomfortable nights sleep. We likely won't go back because of this.

Fun: we spent a small fortune in the arcade, building "creatures", getting glitter tattoos, doing magi quest etc...but the kids loved it.

All in all...we wouldn't go back. Would have been better off at a proper hotel, with a trip to a water park.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your feedback with us! I am thrilled to learn that your family and friends were able to enjoy the waterpark and take advantage of the private cabanas we offer!

We appreciate your commentary on the AC unit in your suite and I have shared your concerns with our Management team on-site to review internally. Whenever there are concerns like this, please let us know as soon as possible so a member of our Maintenance team can investigate in a timely manner.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Channelview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Booked this hotel for my family of five. Rooms are pricey but well worth the money. Two of the kids couldn't go with us so it ended up being my husband, 10 yr old and myself. We arrived about 1 pm. Rooms are ready by 4 pm but about an hour of playing at the water park we got the phone call saying our room was ready.Daughter LOVED the smaller water slides and wave pool. Husband talked her into doing some of the bigger slides. She was terrified of the tornado but did do some of the other big ones. Lots & lots of shopping options. For parents & kids. Husband & I outlasted our daughter in the arcade ( hey we won her 9,150 tickets lol) she had fun picking out prizes with all those tickets. She did the paw pass ( $75) and liked everything on it except the MagiQuest. Even selecting the easy level it was still to difficult for her and my 6 yr old nephew ( my sister and her family of four went also.) Daughter did not get to the Scoops Salon as she was more interested in the water park ( she is my lil mermaid.) I loved that we stayed busy the whole time. Once we needed a break we went upstairs for lunch and younger kids took a nap. Then back down to the water. Food was expensive at hotel. We made sandwiches in room for lunch then whataburger from down the road for dinner. We did eat the breakfast buffet even though I had read bad reviews. I should have listened. Eggs were watery and sausage tasted fake. But it was conveinant so we went for it. The characters did come to table so good photo ops. Kids enjoyed story time and dance party at night time. Will recommend this hotel to friends and family. I would love to go back next year!!

Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This is the place for little fish. And those with no swimming ability. It's an all around continuous time in the pool and indoor water area. Other than all the water, there is a walk around the entire building magic quest that will be fun for the kids to do. They'll use a magic wand that makes different items come alive on each floor of the hotel. There's also a large arcade and an ice cream shop. Lots of eateries and the food is actually pretty tasty. The only reason I can't give it a five is there is nothing to do for the parents other than get in the water, go to bar and watch tv, or haircut or massage. But for a waterpark, I guess I shouldn't expect much beyond the water :-) the price of the rooms is crazy expensive especially when they don't include anything but the room. Even the in room water bottles were 2.50$ a bottle. Seriously!?!!? Buy your tickets super early and you'll save on the room ( the prices go up as more rooms are booked!)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kempner, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My family and I spent 3 days and 2 nights at the Grapevine, Tx property in August 2014. The overall stay was ok. To begin, we couldb't even get to the front door to drop off luggage. With the valet service and what I assume were other families trying to do the same, it was a nightmare. SO we decided to park and hump it to the resort. The check in was fairly quick once we got to the front desk. The initial check in line was backed up with approximately 25 families waiting to check in. Once we checked in and saw our room, we were less than impressed. We had a standard family suite with two queen beds and a full size sleeper sofa. The bed were horrible, but not nearly as bad as the sleeper sofa. I felt terrible for our two youngest children who had to sleep on that! It was lumpy and uneven. Which explained why our youngest would get in bed with us in the middle of the night. Back to the queen beds....they were not comfortable at all. The sheets didn't even fit on the bed. The small blanket was barely big enough for the bed so it was difficult to get comfortable. After a long day at the waterpark, all my wife and I wanted was a decent nights rest. The drawers on the dresser would barely open, the carpet needed cleaned, the bathroom was terribly small with no exhaust fan, the fixtures in the tub seemed as though they were about to drop off, and the fridge door wouldn't stay closed. The doors to the room was so thin it let all noise filter through. So all night we heard everything that was going on in the hallway outside our room.
The water park:
The water park was nice. The lifeguards seemed friendly and helpful. It was just way too crowded. The lines for the rides were not worth waiting in for the rides.
The Loose Moose Cottage was the dining area we chose during our stay. The food was ok but the service was not. We had one server who basically blew us off after we got our beverages. It was also way over priced for the quality of food that was served.
Check out:
The check out was simple. Went to the front desk and removed our bracelets. We were not happy about Being charged $5 for two small bottles of water that were in the room.

Overall:
This place is not worth the money. It is over crowded and over priced. You can have as good an experience if you stay at a hotel close to one of the other water parks in the area and make the short commute to the park daily. And you can eat where you want without the over priced food.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ronce,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and providing us with your feedback! I am terribly disappointed to learn of the difficulties you had during your stay. Please know that what you experienced is not customary for us and does not reflect the kind of stay experience we want our guests to have. I have shared your review with our Management team at the resort to discuss internally and see if there are any areas of opportunity to improve for future guests.

Regarding the concerns you had in your suite, please reach out to us so that we can try to provide a timely resolution while you are still on-site. We can only fix a problem when it is brought to our attention, especially when there are maintenance concerns like the ones you had.

We hope to host your family again soon.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went for a 3 day summertime weekday vaca with 4 kids (ages 4-8). There was alot of hype about this place, and now that I've been there I have mixed feelings. It's kid focused. Period. Do not go for any level of relaxation. Be prepared for endless running around of kids, noise, expenses, and activities.

The waterpark options are great both indoors and outdoors. All kids are height measured upon entrance, and receive a colored armband that will indicate which water areas they can participate in. The staff is very stringent about this. If you have multi aged kids, this means one or more cant go into certain areas so more than one adult/parent is necessary to supervise other kids. If you are going just for the water, check into a day pass option and stay at a cheaper hotel.

Storytimes are fun in the main lobby each morning and evening. The animated forest friends come to life for a 20-30 minute presentation.

MagiQuest is an interactive game that you can purchase for $30 and up. Kids receive a magic wand and run all over the 8 floors in order to solve and complete each level of the wizardly adventure. It is best understood and played by kids 6-7 yrs and up who have an interest. This is a major deal for the hotel, and it doesn't shut down until 11 pm. There are kids and parents literally running up and down stairwells, elevators, and hallways to complete it in a timely fashion. It can be tiring for parents w smaller kids tagging along who can't participate, and the wands often need a fixin' back at the MagicQuest store. I returned ours for a refund after the 2nd time for repair. We opted for the yellow camera Scavenger Hunt that is free, which gave my kids (4 & 6) an alternative challenge. Pick up a card at the front desk. We didn't enter the drawing, but just used the hunt for a fun activity and my kids enjoyed it.

The 1st floor (base) of the hotel is full of kid venues to buy and participate in: Scoops is a girly salon, MagiQuest store, arcade/video room, body glitter stand, Bear Paws ice cream place, Build a Bear store, and such.

There's a restaurant on the main lobby (2nd floor), but we never ate there. We bought groceries locally and ate breakfast and lunches in our room. There's a minifridge and microwave. This saves a lot of money. We'd have dinner out each night, as there are plenty of restaurants within an easy drive. Also, we saw lots of pizza deliveries at the hotel.

We stayed in a KidCabin suite. Kids loved their room with bunk bed, but you basically are paying (a lot)
for that kids room and bunk bed!! It's just a normal room otherwise. Clean, towels, TV, bed. Our 5th floor room overlooked the pool area but we had no noise issues from that. We did hear the airplanes, alot, from the nearby airport. Do NOT get a room near stairwells/elevators or you will regret the noise level from MagiQuest gaming. 9 am
- 11 pm. We had a room far enough away that it wasn't a problem. Also, be prepared for long elevator waits with luggage carts and crowds. It's hit or miss, but factor this in.

Overall, this place was okay but I don't think we'll return anytime soon. Been there, done that.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for providing us with the observations from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am happy to know your family had a great time in the waterpark and your children loved their themed Kid Cabin Suite!

We are exclusive to our overnight guests and therefore do not sell day pass admission to our waterpark. We do this for concerns of general safety for our guests and to prevent overcrowding.

If you find that the wait is a bit long at the main bank of elevators, we do have an elevator down towards the conference center that our guests can use. Depending on where you parked your vehicle, this can be a much faster means of transportation within the lodge!

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We took the kids to GreatWolf as a treat. Overall decent place to stay however cleanliness of the rooms was of concern. The toiletries were used and the bedding did not appear clean. The rooms are pricey in my opinion for average options/amenities. The water park was a hit in our book however I would rather stay in another hotel chain and purchase a day pass, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else and pay for a day pass...