“Okay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Dallas, Texas
“Okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I read a lot reviews before I booked a 1 night (2 day) stay for my daughter and I in August 2014. Most of the reviews I read were not very complimentary but my 9 year old daughter really wanted to go so we went on a fact finding mission. I guess we did not book early enough...... I ended up paying $537.58 for the king size room for 1 night. This I think is way too much. The indoor water park was nice because it is weather proof. The bathrooms/ showers in the indoor water could use a do over. They just appeared unclean. It is a fun place but definitely not worth what I paid. May be $200/ night max. It is good value for large families since the room and board also covers the water park tickets.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the convention center are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Mary,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your feedback with us! Our rates are determined by the number of rooms we have remaining in our inventory at any given time, and our Grapevine location sells out very quickly during the summer. If you are looking for a more economic time to stay with us, I recommend making reservations for September, mid-November and early January. Staying during the week as opposed to weekends will also yield lower rates in a search as we will have more rooms available for those days of the week.

As a valued guest, you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts that you can use to help make a return trip more affordable!

We look forward to having your pack back soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We spent 3 nights here (Fri-Mon) in August 2014, and it was packed with lots of young children running around, as it was still peak summer season. We went to celebrate my son's 13th birthday and quickly realized most of the activities catered more to young children (10 and below).
However, there were some good things the boys enjoyed. They thought 3 of the water slides were "awesome", especially liked the tornado cyclone slide and kids would have to be a certain height to ride these. The downside is that all of the slides and small lazy river were indoors in a building that was so hot and had a heavy chlorine smell that burned our eyes so much that the adults could not spend much time in there at all.
We did however enjoy renting one of the outdoor cabanas by the outdoor swimming pool (there are 2 slides outdoors for all ages) and it was a beautiful day. The cabana had a nice refrigerator loaded with water, soft drinks, and Gatorade. It also had a ceiling fan, TV, table and chairs for 4, and 2 chaise lounges for sunning. Try to request cabana #1 as its right by the bar and grille restaurant and you have extra room to pull up extra chaise lounges for your family. We had a wonderful cabana waitress named Helen who kept the wonderfully cold and creamy Peña coladas coming for the adults and she also takes and delivers food orders. Wonderful service and fun day swimming and sunning and the cabana rental made it more private and relaxing.

In summary I would say this is a great place for families with kids 10 and under.
There are lots of games and activities, singing in the lobby at night with all the kids and parents dancing, and lots of indoor swimming to keep them busy and entertained.

For adults with or without older kids (teen and above) who are looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation, this is not the place for you. The food was mediocre though the prices are high, and the outdoor pool is near the end of the runways at DFW airport, which can be noisy while at the outdoor pool. I personally liked the air show of all the different planes taking off overhead, but there were times you could not finish your conversation until the plane passed over. The noise was not a problem on the inside. The staff were all friendly and accommodating and that was nice. We all got a nice pair of wolf ears at check-in which made for some really cute pictures!

Room Tip: The rooms with log cabins in them are really cute for kids say 3-10yrs that like bunk beds. Ask for...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine!

I am thrilled that your family had such a good time and we will give a HOWLS to Helen for providing your family with such excellent service!

We keep our waterpark at a constant 84 degrees year round to provide a fun and comfortable atmosphere for our guests to enjoy, regardless of the weather outside. In regards to the heavy chlorine smell you observed, we are continuously monitoring the chlorine levels in the park for the continued safety of our guests. If adjustments need to be made, they are done in real-time in order to be as effective as possible.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I took my 19 and 15 year old daughters to the GWL for three days and two nights. We enjoyed the water park in and outside. I chose to pay as I go instead of charging to the room which was not a problem. We ate at the Loose Moose Cottage one night and had the pizza the second night. Food was excellent in our opinion. The halls got quite around 11:15 pm which was nice. We were on the third floor so we took the stairs. We enjoyed watching little kids run around doing the quest. The girls liked lazer frenzy and the movie. We give this place 6 thumbs up.

Room Tip: Get the basic room, one big enough for your needs. You won't be the room that much.
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was a great quick trip for the family!!! We will go back!

Room: We had a double bed room will a little 'living room' area which made it feel spacious. Our room was on the first floor which we liked because we were close to everything (restaurants, game room, water park are all on the first floor - there are a few restaurants on other floors). The one thing we did not like about our room is that it was right next to the MagiQuest game which is incredibly loud. Kids love to play this game which is great but if you like to go to sleep before 11 pm make sure to request that you do NOT want room 1025. The game operates from 9 am - 11 pm and our children had a hard time falling asleep because it was so loud. The weekend nights were worse then the week nights. However, I did request to get a room change and they said that they were 100% occupied but would call me with any cancellations. I did request a phone call regardless if there was a room available or not so I would know they were really working with us (since the person at the front desk didn't really seem interested in helping us). Needless to say I received no phone call which was a disappointment.

Food: The pizza was great and after 9 pm the price goes from $13.99 to $9.99. The Loose Moose buffet had a great selection but in my opinion was not worth the $14 per adult.

Lifeguards: My husband and I noticed that the lifeguards seemed very well trained. Of course we all hope that's the case when going to a pool, beach, resort, etc; however, they had a system on how they scanned the water and it was interesting to observe and made us feel safer with the kids.

One additional thing is that they have life jackets for all ages. If you need one you don't need to worry about bringing one unless you just want to use your own.

Overall we had a great trip and the kids had a fabulous time!!!

Room Tip: Request to get a room that is NOT near the MagiQuest game.
Kerala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Enjoyed our 2 days. Superb/exciting water rides. Lovely spacious rooms. Good option for food. Nearby options also available near the hotel. The Magic quest game for the kids kept them busy - challenged them and my kids were surprisingly driven on their own to complete the game.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Eagan, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I spent time here over two days for my nephew's birthday. It was on Saturday/Sunday. I'm not a parent but am good with kids. However, this place was so draining! I'll keep the review brief. The bar upstairs is great, good food and Shiner Bock on tap, it was a great place to hang while everyone else was waiting in line for the water rides. My group had the wings, pot stickers, ribs and a quesadilla. Everyone was pleased with their meal. The rooms are expensive, but have 3 double beds, so there is a great deal of space, so I see why they are the priced so high. Be aware some rooms have two bathrooms and some only have one. The room I spent time in had one bathroom, with no fan for venting, not a good idea!! It has a big eating area/bar counter top a fridge and I think a microwave. The room seemed quiet, but kids are all over the place, so it could get loud. Lastly, the buffet breakfast was not very good at all, even the omelette stations weren't anything good. They use too much oil and the bacon was super greasy and not very tasty. I would not get the buffet breakfast. The place was so busy, the only way to get some quiet time was in Starbucks or your room. So, be warned!!

Room Tip: Ask for a two bathroom room if with kids.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dickinson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great Wolf Lodge is a great vacation for the kids. A friend of mine and I took our girls up there for a three day weekend. It is exhausting for parents, but worth it, because the kids are nonstop from the time you get up. They have a blast. A helpful hint, bring your own breakfast foods and lunches and snacks to eat in the room. The restaurant on the fourth floor is not bad at all and kids meals are $6.00. We ate there both nights, and the food was good and price was reasonable. The lodge itself is expensive, but is very clean with spacious rooms. The Magi Quest was a bit misunderstood, but once we figured it out, the kids had a great time doing it. I definitely recommend the PAW pass. I think it is worth the $70 you will spend.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor at the end of the hallway and everything was perfectly quiet and away from...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!