“So cool” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Norman, Oklahoma
“So cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

It's a lodge with an indoor water park that's actually a nice hotel! How can you go wrong? Place is a blast we have been to other GWLs and they are always a good time. You do get a little nickel and dimed ( just realized I don't think dimed is a real word) but the fun factor is huge!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Swank23

texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went with our adult children and our grandson who is 5 years old. The water park is fun for all ages. They have a great area for very small children and at only 48" you can ride any water slide in the park. Located just down the street from Grapevine Mills, a few minutes from DFW, and just a few minutes from just about any dining you would like. It is amazing for family fun. If you do not have any children with you might want to go somewhere else, just wouldn't be worth the price.

Room Tip: They have a game that can be played by children called MagiQuest. The children go from floor to flo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
New Iberia, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Ok...so there is literally something for everyone at this place! I made reservations here and stayed in a Kids Cabin Suite from July 14- July 18. I heard about this place from a couple of people that came here and had nothing but great things to say. We are usually a "beach vacation family" but we let the kiddos choose between this place and the beach and they picked Great Wolf. I will admit that I was a little nervous after reading some negative reviews here, so I came here expecting the worse. To my suprise, this was by far the best family vacation I have had with my family!

Now it is a little pricey, but if you do a little research on the resort's website, you will find discount codes and printable coupons. I recommend getting the little extras (we got the MagiQuest and Scoops packages) when you make your reservations. But besides the cost...you WILL get your money's worth. Your room fee includes your waterpark passes and you can only use the waterpark if you stay there. So if you figure out the price of a room and having to purchase passes to another waterpark, it's well worth the price. Upon check-in, you will receive a wristband for everyone in your room. This wristband serves as your waterpark pass and room key. You can also have it activated to charge purchases on if you like.

The rooms and hotel decor have this rustic lodge feel from the large trees in the lobby to the natural wood looking furniture. The place was beyond clean. All of the staff were happy and friendly. There are several places to eat within the resort. There is a grill, a buffet, several concessions in the waterpark area, a pizza place, a Starbucks, and an ice cream/dessert bar. For adults, they also serve alcohol in the bar in the buffet and the outside bar at the waterpark. We brought our own snacks and breakfast items which was easy since each room has a mini fridge and a microwave.

The waterpark exceeded my expectations. I expected it to be overcrowded but it wasn't. I have been to several waterparks and this was by far the cleanest of them all. The temperature is kept at 84 degrees so that it's not drafty nor cold. They supply towels which must stay in the waterpark. The restroom areas were always dry (crazy right?) and the lifeguards took major pride in their jobs. We went every morning of our stay when the waterpark opened and spent a couple of hours there and my kids were able to enjoy all of the amenities it had to offer without having to wait in long lines. When it did start to get crowded (around lunchtime each day) they had there fill of it and we would head back to our room for lunch.

The rest of the time we would spend around the resort by either going to the arcade or doing the MagiQuest. That was my kids' favorite thing to do there. We did get our exercise going up and down stairs which actually wasn't bad since there are only 8 floors.

Now, moms with girls, I recommend Scoops Ice Cream Spa. My two girls (ages 11 & 6) loved it! I booked them each a Neopolitan Package (mani/pedi and a chocolate facial). We were told by the staff to try and make their reservations sometime before the end of the trip since the nail polish could come off in the waterpark. I booked theirs the morning that we departed. They spent an 1 hr 45 min there (parents are asked to leave the children there due to limited space). I didn't mind because I was able to get our things together and load up our car while they enjoyed being pampered. My only complaint about Scoops is that the website is very unclear on how to make reservations. I called several numbers (before our trip) before I was able to get through. I didn't find out until check in that you make the reservations while at the resort.

While most of our time there was amazing there are only a couple of cons about this place. One, was the check-in, which is at 4 pm. We got there a little after four. We only waited in line for a few minutes, but our room was not ready. They took our cell number and told us they would call us when the room was ready. Not a problem, we would look around. We camped out, like many others, with luggages and bags on one of the many benches throughout the 2nd floor lobby area. We waited an hour and my husband decided to just go and check on the status of our room. He came back several minutes later with our room number. No one had called us. He concluded the reason was because the staff was so busy that they probably never had a chance to call us. The second con.... the elevators. There is only one hallway with elevators with a few elevators on each side of the hallway. Around check in time, plan on waiting for a while to use them. Most of our stay, we resorted to using the stairs. The elevators were not slow by any means, it was the amount of people using them that made them take so long. My last con, was the parking. Not at all anyone's fault, it's just a big place with many people. Valet is available, but we chose self parking.

Ok, so I'm done rambling on. I totally recommend this place to families of all ages. We had a blast and there was never a moment where my kids complained of boredom. It all boils down to the fact that we will definitely be back. My kids are already asking when and I hope that it's soon!

Sleep Quality
2 Thank GeauxTigers78
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I booked this based on recommendations from friends and the continual TV ads. I was not expecting much but booked it for the kids. Boy, was I wrong! We had a blast. Both kids were busy with all of their favorite things. The staff at check in was efficient, helpful and friendly. I was amazed at how attentive the life guards were. There were so many that I was never concerned about the kids. They were also very friendly and fun. My daughter commented how awesome the ones working the big slides were. The room was large, clean and fairly comfortable. We had friends come visit and we could all hang out comfortably in the room. The food was not outstanding but pretty good. If you want Starbucks in the AM, be prepared to wait. The kids loved the MagicQuest and were glad I got the paw passes. At 12 and 14, who knew. The beds were descent, not the best. Towels and sheets are more of a low end quality but certainly functional. Love that they have unlimited pool towels. Otherwise, this was a great 2 day trip. Would recommend and we would go back.

Room Tip: We were on the lobby level which turned out to be awesome. No elevator drama for us. We were at the...
      Location
1 Thank GGfrom504
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at GWL in Grapevine, Texas. Incredible. After reading negative Nellie reviews, I was concerned. After checking in, I was absolutely grateful we made the choice to spend our youngest child's birthday at GWL. Why? I don't have one negative thing to say. If you're worried about meal prices on site, bring your own food. We had a wonderful breakfast at the lodge and the rest of our meals were in our room. They allow you to bring anything you want AND have a fridge and microwave. The rooms are spacious and you control your own temperature which was fantastic for me because I like the room cold. We got the Wolf Den and our 8 and 10 year old girls were over the moon (pun intended) with their private space complete with TV. We loved the indoor water park and I really enjoyed the outdoor pool and hot tub where you can saunter from the outdoor hot tub to the indoor tub simply by cruising along and crossing over into the waterpark without leaving the tub! There is an adult hot tub only by the "tents" inside the park which was fantastic and never crowded. While GWL was booked, it was NOTHING like Sea World's Aquatica or Fiesta Texas because there weren't any long lines. We're from San Antonio and accustomed to long lines, but not at GWL because only hotel guests use the waterpark which means you get families who are paying and destination minded people. The arcade was very nice and great fun and Magic Quest was so exciting for our birthday girl. I can't imagine why anyone would have anything negative to say. I'm writing this review with ONE mission in mind...I wish I would have never read one negative word...because the reality is...you will love it...relax, enjoy, have fun..and remember to book a room with a view of the pool...we stayed in 6076 with a wonderful sunset view over the outdoor pool and could see the cheerleading pavilion and watched the dancers and cheer teams practicing...but with great insulation we never heard the planes or the cheers...just a lovely view. For the people who heard kids slamming doors or running up and down, I don't know where your rooms were located...we were absolutely thrilled with our experience. I saw a lifeguard save a dad from hitting his head against a wall...the fun loving dad had half his body out of the tub with his head way back being funny for his kids as they shot out of the slide and into the landing pool and without that lifeguard seeing him and grabbing the tube handle as fast as she could, he would have hit his head...hard. I was so impressed by the lifeguards...they are EVERYWHERE...and they literally stalk the pools...those whistles are blowing like crazy...they are VERY well trained. The managers were always so friendly and helpful with questions..and whenever we asked for anything...we got it before we returned to our room! I asked for a poster for my child because I didn't get a birthday package and by the time we got back to the room the Happy Birthday was on the door! When I asked about Wolf Ears at check in - we checked in very late the night before..almost 11pm...they gave us two extra.....it was just a wonderful vacation. And I've traveled a lot...stayed at a lot of exclusive beach resorts...this is a must for families ...it's focused on children...but fun for adults too...I highly recommend GWL ...have fun!

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room...to enjoy sunset over the pool...we stayed on 6th floor...6076 a great Wolf...
      Location
6 Thank Margomaggie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel Was One Of The Best Hotels I Have Stayed In. My Favorite Part Was The Indoor Water Park. You Will Have A Wonderful Time. Great Wolf Was Wonderful. It Was A Wonderful Experience For Kids Also. The Wolf Lodge Was A Wonderful Wolftacular !

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Imani C
Hot Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

helped dispel cold-weather depression took daughter, son and 5 grandchildren. there were hot tubs for adults only and a family hot tub to share with the kids. plenty of slides and activities for the older children and adults and the preschoolers had a fantastic time as well

Room Tip: all rooms good. we had 2
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North
Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine
Hyatt Place Dallas/Grapevine
#10 of 18 in Grapevine
4.0 of 5 stars 251 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!