“Great Family Venue” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Antlers, Oklahoma
“Great Family Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed with kids and grandkids. Fun for all. I would recommend going through the week when it is less crowded. Hotels food was average or above so we didnt have to leave the property during our stay. The indoor waterpark is great and there are many activities for the kids from ages one to 60!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side offer a view of the DFW airport traffic the kids will enjoy but the noise mig...

984 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place is perfect for the whole family. Great vacation spot for children. Our grandson and his cousins, ages 5, 6 & 7 enjoyed the trip tremendously. Room was very clean and very spacious. Beds were very comfortable. Even though hotel is on flight path of many airplanes flying in and out of DFW, the room was extremely quiet - saw the airplanes, but never heard a sound. Also, liked the quiet air conditioner. Enjoyed all the activities, everything is very well planned out. Very little waiting checking in or out. Hotel personnel were very courteous and friendly. Will definitely make it our annual fun trip.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This property is truly fun for families with kids of all ages. We were here with a 2 year old, a 5 year old, and 2 10 year olds. It is expensive - but when you get hotel, entertainment, food, etc all in one spot, it's not that surprising. You never need to leave the hotel. With that being said, our family is pretty happy with one night (doing water park on arrival, and again in the morning). More than one night seems like too much.

The resort is nicely done and it's easy to let older kids roam around safely so that they feel a since of freedom

Room Tip: Take note that this place is huge and the hallways that rooms are on go on forever. If you have tro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

CONS:
I.) Checking In (A heretofore unknown level of Gahenna in Dante's Inferno meets the DMV)
1.) 4PM check-in time for everyone. Huge surge of people and no plan to handle it. Check-in should be staggered and the best rooms should not go to the first people to get in line. GLW can't handle turning over the rooms with the current system. There's no one to tell you anything when you arrive. You pull up and you are on your own. You get there at 4PM but may not get into your room until after 6PM.

2.) No carts available for non-valet; you will have to find one on your own. The bellmen will tell you there are none available. They will guide you to valet where they can profit. I finally found a cart at the conference center end of the building and it was promptly taken by an employee when I wasn't looking and given to another couple who just arrived. This is a common theme - they don't manage anything.

3.) GLW directs you to the central set of elevators and you may have to wait 30 minutes to get to your room. Hint: Go down to the conference center and use those elevators if there's a line.

4.) Hotel amenities - the guide book in the room doesn't really tell you anything you need to know about Magic Quest (a kid's interactive game) or anything else. The arcade is the biggest ripoff in the class. Don't expect a Dave and Buster's where you might actually win something.

5.) The lines to the water park slides are not managed and cutting is a constant problem usually by pre-teens and teenagers who know exactly what they are doing. The most common moves are: a.) take a line up for a less popular slide that uses the same set of stairs as another and then cut in line at the split; b.) once at the top of a line where both lines feed to the same platform where there are 2 or 3 slides tell the attendant that you are there for the more popular slide (the other line). It usually works. When we complained the attendant still allowed them to do it. People in a specific line should be forced to do the slide that the line feeds.

6.) Buffet at the Loose Moose has some good food and a decent amount of choices. However, the price is too high for what you get. Also, the fish and the brisket were almost not edible. Some of the food that was not eaten had been there for way too long.

PROS
1.) Magic Quest is a fun game for kids and is something unique, active, different from the water park and challenging to the brain. It could be laid out to prevent so many lines from forming.

2.) Quality of the water slides is good and they are definitely thrill rides.

3.) The life guards appears very serious about their jobs. Although I did see some rough housing behavior that was not called down and I've seen much less called down at Frisco Athletic Center.

CONCLUSION
You can still have fun with the kids but it's not the overall experience that it should be. You will get mad at the employees you encounter but this is a management issue. They need to plan for an orderly and guest-centric checkin. Also, they need to manage the people in the water park so everyone and not just the bullies have a good time. If they do this then their rating on here will be much higher.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! We greatly appreciate the feedback from your stay, as we look forward to all guest commentary.

Depending on your time of arrival, luggage carts can be scarce as other guests are transporting their belongings from the car to their room. You can arrive and start playing in the park as early as 1pm on the day of your arrival, and it is recommended to bring a small travel bag in with you to the waterpark. Guests are able to purchase a locker rental for the day to store their valuables in. Check-in for the room begins at 4pm, or as the room becomes available from cleaning.

The central bank of elevators is the most convenient for guests to use when going from one part of the resort to another. However, we have elevators towards the conference center that you can use to access other areas of the lodge.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

First the good news. Little kids love the water park and love the various "quests"--- in case you don't know what a quest is, it is a way to charge money to have your kids run up and down the stairs for hours. They buy a wand that waved near a station opens something, starts a video, etc and then tells them where to go next. The food is fair and for hotel pizza not overpriced. Did I mention they LOVE the waterpark. Now the bad.

When you show up---lots of people waiting around to valet park but no one helps with bags. Front desk tells you the minimum. Point out where to change?No. Mention the 40$ fee if you lose a wristband? No. Point out luggage carts or storage? No, YOU HAVE TO PRY EVERY DETAIL out of them. It's like they just don't care. I've had bad service before, but this was bad bad.

Rooms fair. No way to close a door on the little kids suite (we had two rooms) so it stays loud. Suites are Disney priced but not Disney quality. Cheap towels, soap, etc. Make a donut or Chickfila run for breakfast and save a bundle.

Don't expect any help at all and make sure you ask a lot of questions. It isn't like they will lie to you....they just don't seem to care.

Did I mention the grandkids LOVED the water park?

Room Tip: Go to Disneyland and get one of theirs
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and sharing your feedback with us! I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with your stay, but please know this is not customary for us. I have shared your review with the Management team at the resort to be discussed internally.

We have changing rooms with showers located right next to the main entrance of the waterpark, which you are able to use as early as 1pm on the day of your arrival and until the waterpark closes on the day of your departure.

In the event that a wristband breaks, if you bring it to the Front Desk, it will be replaced free of charge. It is only if the wristband is lost and cannot be presented that there is a $40 replacement charge. This ensures that the previous band is deactivated and can longer be used to access your guest room and will let us activate a new band for you.

We look forward to having your pack back soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Our 9 year old granddaughter loved it. It was nice that the resort was compact enough to feel that she was safe. The water slides were great fun and she loved her spa experience. It made her feel very special.

Arlington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Yeah yeah the park is fun. I just found it hard to enjoy myself when the customer service is that bad! Alva at the downstairs buffet was awesome. On the second day I saw her and requested her section. It is kind of sad that the most helpful nice person in that place was a women that didn't speak English that well. (Not a complaining about that) All the other employees seemed to be goofing off and complaining. It was such an ordeal to get a simple beverage.

I really think my major complaint is just the food and beverage department at that hotel. Our second time at the restaurant there was broken glass at the table that cut my hand which got me a free appetizer woo hoo:( there was a little blonde hostess name Christina I think. She tried to help because we sat so long at the restaurant I had to go outside the restaurant to try to get somebody to help us. I believe the bartender with the beard was severely intoxicated. I couldn't count how many TABC violations I saw in 30 minutes I sat at the bar literally waiting for somebody to help me. I was sitting the bar! Oh yeah and there was only a couple people in the restaurant. It's not like they were busy. After another 15 minutes I finally went down to the front desk of the hotel because I literally could not get served at the restaurant! Worst experience I think I've ever had!

I really feel that because of those problems I just couldn't enjoy myself. I feel like it was just a waste of time and money. Which is sad because the park was fun the rooms were nice and all I kept thinking about was how horrible I was treated by the staff there. Oh yeah I actually had to return a cinnamon roll they sold my daughter that I couldn't even stick my fake nails through. I can't believe they serve food like that.

Called and left a message with the GM Ken [---].
(Did this on phone sorry about punctuation)

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!