“I should have listened to my friend and NOT gone here.” 1 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Great Wolf Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Grapevine
Austin
“I should have listened to my friend and NOT gone here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I traveled to Great Wolf Lodge with my parents and my nephew who is 9 for Spring Break. We arrived on a Monday and left on a Wednesday. We did not have left early enough...

The positive: The lifeguards are extremely attentive. You can even see them nodding and counting as they actively monitor the pools. They also change position frequently which seems to keep them more aware. Also, the lines were not very long for the slides which allowed us to ride them as often as we wanted.

The negative: Let's start from the beginning. We were told that check-in was at 4 but we could arrive in and check in as early as 1 if our room was ready. We arrived around 2:30, stood in a very long line to be told they would call us when our room was ready. We checked all of our bags with the concierge and then set off to walk the property and grab a bite to eat. Around 3:30 my mom went to the front desk again to ask about our room. It was not ready but we were again told we would receive a call when it was ready. At 4:20 (check in was 4) we AGAIN went to the front desk and they finally gave us our key (we NEVER received a call). We then went to grab our bags from the concierge desk and find our room. When we arrived at our room my mom realized her small bag was not with us. She called the front desk and they said they may have given it to another guest but they would look for it. They explained that they did not want to disturb the other guests (who cared about us not having a bag!) This bag contained cancer medication along with other medication, nice jewlery, underwear, toiletries, makeup, etc. The biggest concern was obviously the cancer medication. Throughout our two days there we continued to check at the concierge desk and were told they were "looking for it" but it had not turned up. They offered to credit us $50 for the lost bag. $50!!!! It was unbelievable. We were going to have to cut the rest of our week-long trip short so that my mom could return home and order more cancer medication. The morning we were to leave my dad had the car packed by 7 a.m. and had gone to talk to the front desk. He talked to several people but it was clear people were not concerned with our experience. After we left Wednesday morning, we received a call that they had miraculously found my mom's bag.

Had we not lost my mom's bag, I would still never return. I had been warned by a friend that she had a terrible time at Great Wolf Lodge and laughed when I told her I would be going. The place is way too expensive for what you get. Our room had a toilet leaking on the bathroom floor, did not have any kleenex and had dirty toilet paper under the bed. Needless to say our next hotel stop at the Marriott was much cheaper and nicer.

The outside part is only open from 12-5 IF it is open at all. It was difficult to find a chair out there because it got so crowded. The indoor water park is stifling as the chlorine hurts your eyes after awhile (from just being inside) and you get to where it is almost difficult to breathe. The lazy river is very small and disappointing.

I cannot comment much on the food. The first day we arrived we did eat at the restaurant behind the lobby. It had a small menu but the prices were not terrible. However, we never ate at Great Wolf Lodge again. We would leave and go to a restaurant for each meal.

Just know what you are getting into should you choose to vacation here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and for providing feedback about your trip! On behalf of our team in Grapevine, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by the misplacement of your mother’s bag. We pride ourselves on giving great guest service and what you experienced does not meet with those expectations. I assure you this is not customary for us and I will share your comments with our team so we can determine areas of opportunity for improvement.

954 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed one night and two days a Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. It was cold and rainy outside, but inside the hotel it was perfect! The water park was a fun and simple water park. My kids spent the majority of their time in the wave pool. There are several slides and a couple of areas designed for the smaller kids. We spent a good part of both days there doing the MagiQuest. There were children running everywhere throughout the hotel enjoying the various quests that are offered. It was an additional charge, but the kids loved it and they got tons of excersise going up and down the stairs. If your child is too young to do the quest alone be prepared for some serious stair mastering! I would say 8 and over should be fine going it alone. The rooms were okay. Nothing too fancy, but comfortable and clean. We ate at the buffet and it was reasonably priced and good. Overall I would say this is a great place for a weekend visit. Too much more time there may make you pull your hair out!

Fredericksburg, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Got to spend time with our two grand children 4 year old girl and 12 year old boy while the parents were at a conference. Room was a nice size with kids den with three bunk beds, queen bed and sofa that made into a bed. Room was clean but maid did not clean room until third day, card said its a GREEN THING, which is usually ok but with kids things get a little messy. The buffet was good for breakfast but the dinner for $20.00 adults and $7.00 for kids and little meat choices. The salads choices were small and the deserts were two cheese cake, cup cakes or soft ice cream. This place is not your Disney experience. Too expensive, water park was full, it was spring break, but I would not go back. I'm glad my daughter picked up the bill. Yes, get the paw pass. The whole place has kids running around finding some kind of game like Harry Potter. The place is out in the sticks and with all the expressway construction its hard to get to.

Room Tip: Make sure the rooms on each side is quiet. The room card says that kids have to be in rooms by 11pm...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine and providing us with your feedback! We greatly appreciate the opinions of our guests as they give us the opportunity to improve the overall guest experience. I will share your concerns with our team in Grapevine for them to review.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I have two children and we thought it would be a good idea to stay a night at a local hotel to get out of the house and have some activities for our children. We stayed one night at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine on Saturday March 15th. The entire experience was a nightmare beginning the very minute we drove up to check in the hotel. The check in time for this hotel is 4:00pm (what kind of hotel doesn't allow guest to check into their room until 4:00pm?). At any rate, we knew this time per the website but thought we could get there a little early around 1:30pm and use the water park services as advertised. When we pulled up to the hotel, we waited outside our car for 20 minutes until someone actually came up to the car to valet the car. The valet/bellman did not offer to take our bags. When they gave me a ticket to take the car I asked the valet if we could get help with our bags and he simply said to take our bags to the bellman desk and we could check them in their. The only problem is the bellman desk is "inside" the hotel and we have two children and a bag for everyone. Picture carrying two children and five bags through two heavy doors (and nobody to hold the doors for you). Nightmare #1. Grade for Valet/Bellman services a solid "F". We should have turned around and went home at that very moment. We finally checked our bags at the bellman desk and then saw the line to check in the hotel was 50 people deep so we thought it a better idea to grab lunch on their 4th floor. I asked for some coffee at lunch which they did not serve since the waitress said their "coffee machine" was broken so I had to go downstairs to buy an expensive starbucks. Now after lunch we thought it a good idea to attempt to check into the hotel hoping the line would be better by now but the line was still incredibly long. So I stood in line for a half hour while my wife played zone defense with our two children making sure they stayed in sight. They checked us in without assigning a room number and said the hotel would call when the room was ready around 4:00pm . By this time it was about 3:00pm so we had an hour before the room was to be ready. The hotel was so crowded we could not find a place to sit for a half hour. I gave the bellman my ticket to try to retrieve our bags so I could get my sons swimming truncks to go swimming and waited about 20 minutes. I finally gave up waiting and told them to forget about getting our bags for the time being (service was horrible). The people who work there have zero direction or awareness for what's going on around them. We decided to wait it out until the room was ready. Sure enough the hotel called us to give us a room number and we attempted to go to our hotel room on the 7th floor. Now we had to wait for the elevator which took about 15 minutes to get an elevator given the crowds. Now we had booked a "Whirlpool" jacuzzi suite which is a big room with a jacuzzi. My thought was that worst case my wife can I can relax in a nice room with a jacuzzi. We called the front desk and gave them our ticket number to bring up our bags from the bellman desk. We waited 20 minutes with no bags then called them again. 30 minutes from the first time I called finally the bags arrived (how the heck does it take 30 minutes to deliver our bags?). So we lost 45 minutes between waiting for the elevator and bags to be brought up to the room. We finally got changed and went to the indoor water park which was a mad house. I'm shocked you can let that many people in one place without violating fire safety or some kind of laws/zoning, it was jam packed. We had a hard time getting around it was so crowded and their were long lines for everything. After about an hour of dealing with the huge crowds we decided to go back to our hotel room and hop in the jacuzzi and call it quits. Only problem now was that we could not get the jacuzzi in our room to work. We filled up the tub and that was that. Talk about false advertising. At that point we just wanted to call it quits and order some room service. Well wouldn't you know, this hotel doesn't do room service other than pizza to go. So we packed up the kids and went downstairs to the cafeteria dealing with the insane wait for the elevator again. After dinner, we got to enjoy another 15 minute wait for an elevator back up to our room. We just couldn't do anything it was so crazy crowded. Later that evening my wife wanted a snack so I walked seven flights of stairs rather than deal with the elevator wait again. That evening it was so loud in our hallway our kids kept waking up every half hour or so and none of us got any sleep. The next morning, my wife and I looked at each other and at the same time said to each other lets get the heck out of here. Since the bellman service took forever I did not want to risk another 30 minute wait to have them come upstairs to get our bags (way too risky). We just wanted to get out of there to go to church. Around 9:00am, we took our bags with us and went downstairs to the cafeteria for buffet style breakfast. After breakfast I gave my valet ticket for the car valet to get our car. They said it would only take about 5 minutes. So my wife and I waited by the door (it was cold and windy outside and our kids were freezing waiting by the door). Sure enough, it took the valet 20 minutes to get our car. Again, they let my wife and I and every other customer trying to get in and out of the hotel fend for ourselves and open our own doors carrying bags in one hand and kids in the other. To make matters worse, we paid over $650 for this one day of misery. We were so happy to finally get out of there. Overpriced, terrible customer service and false advertising are a few comments that come to mind when we reflect on our Great Wolf lodge nightmare experience. This is the first time I've ever written a review for a hotel and we are the last people to complain or be harsh. Our experience there was truly awful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grapevine! I am sorry the lodge was crowded during your visit. Spring break in Texas is a very busy time for us. We want to make every guest feel welcome and our team regrets missing the mark with your family.

We appreciate your feedback as we will use it to make our operation better.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Lake Jackson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have 5 year old and 3 year old boys and really enjoyed our time at Great Wolf Lodge. The resort is perfectly themed for kids and families. We stayed in the base room with two double beds. It was a standard hotel room, but was clean and had an additional couch and sitting area. The whole resort was clean and kept up well. The water park had a nice mix of activities for both younger and older kids, and there were lots of attractions packed into the indoor space. The water park temperature could have been a couple degrees warmer. On Thursday and Friday, the water park was not very crowded and the kids could easily do all of the slides without much waiting. On Saturday, it became pretty crowded so we took a break from the water in the afternoon. Another big attraction was the MagiQuest. There are strange objects in the hallways all throughout the resort and the kids loved waving their magic wand at the objects to hear them talk and light up. Going on the quests was what we enjoyed when taking a break from the water. The kids also liked playing some of the games in the arcade and coloring a T-shirt in the kids club. Story time at night was fun, but the audio from the animated characters was poor so it was hard to follow the story. The food at the resort was decent and was a little overpriced, but not as expensive as what I was expecting based on visits to other resorts / water parks. The kids had a wonderful time and we would definitely come to Great Wolf Lodge again especially during the winter months.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Spent one night here with our 5 yr old over spring break. There is plenty for kids to do. Make sure you buy the paw pass if it's your first time. Worth it to get the stuffed bear experience, magi quest wand, glitter tattoo, arcade credits, ice cream, souvenir craft, etc. The savings versus buying it all individually is significant. My daughter loved having her arm band as a room key, at her age it's super fun to open the door with "magic." I loved having the room charging option on the arm band. We locked up our wallets and roamed around hands free. But, there was not sufficient amount of even remotely healthy food options here. They cater to kids and their poor diet choices are encouraged. Don't know who could stand pizza and ice cream too many days in a row. We left to stock up on water, snacks and even dinner before settling in for the evening. The refrigerator and microwave were nice to have in the room. We used the fridge but not the microwave. The room was fine, nothing special except that we paid dearly for it during spring break. It was clean enough and the sheets were fresh. The bathroom and tub were nice and clean. My daughter loved watching planes land from our window facing the airport. There were posted quiet hours and we all slept well, no complaints about noise during quiet hours. Our daughter had a blast with magi quest, which was a surprise. Most kids and parents seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. Starbucks was nice to have in house. Front desk staff nice and helpful. Their ice cream is not Blue Bell, which is a minor thing, but if you're going to sell tons of it for large profit, it should be the best. Highly recommend they change to Blue Bell. Overall it's a great place for kids. We left exhausted, drove home and took a nap. It is no place for R&R, it's busy fun. My daughter can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor (8 floors total) facing the airport. Kids love watching cars and p...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We came during spring break. We had a wonderful time! The rooms were nice very clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The kids loved the waterpark. Even us adults had a great time at the water park. The food in the restaurant was very good. Lots of choices. They have lots of activitys for kids. Expensive place to visit but worth it.

Stayed March 2014

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!